January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - I agree with @7lenny7 about not doing static stretches on cold muscles. That is why I always suggest yoga. Most yoga routines begin with dynamic stretches to warm up your muscles first. Sorry for not being more clear on that.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    01/02 8.0 indoor miles
    01/03 -
    01/04 -
    01/05 12.0 indoor miles
    01/06 -

January Progress
    20/140 miles

Since I had to miss my Wednesday run I wanted to make it back up last night. Since it was -20F wind chill I wimped out and went to the high school to run for a couple of hours. 12 miles = 84 laps! A great time for earbuds. It was full of walkers, walking two abreast, making it a bit challenging to get around them at times.

About 8 miles into it I could feel some pain in my left knee and the ball of my left foot. I attributed this to the constant counterclockwise running. About 9 miles in I was the only one still there so I decide to be a badass and start running clockwise...to hell with the rules!!

I wore both my Garmin Vivosmart HR and my Garmin Forerunner 220 (GPS off). Calibrating them with 7 laps on the 1/7 mile track, my VHR was dead nuts on where as my F220 came up short. By the end of the run the VHR said 12 miles but the F220 said 10. I took the 12.
  • 7lenny7
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn you could also get calf compression sleeves as an option. Then you can wear those with any of your socks. I got a pair of both. At least in the winter your running pants or tights will cover them up when you run outside.
    @lporter229, I've been thinking about doing some yoga with my wife. It sounds like something I'd really benefit from, particularly since I can't seem to get in the habit of any core work on my own.
  • lporter229
    Options
    @7lenny7- I used to practice yoga very regularly and I never had any issues with injury. These days, I don't do nearly enough and I have noticed a huge difference in stiffness from running. Poses that used to feel like nothing to me are a challenge. My resolution for 2017 is to be more committed to practicing yoga. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone. And a bonus is that almost any yoga session will benefit your core muscles.
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    January goal: 100 miles
    1/1: 3.6 miles (m)
    1/2: Downpour Day
    1/3: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/4: 4 miles (m)
    1/5: 5 miles (m)
    1/6: 4.5 miles (m)

My Total/January: 21.6 miles
    Mike's Total: 21.7 miles

There was what looked like snow falling from the sky this morning. It could have been sleet...something between rain and snow, I guess. It was above freezing, at least, at around 36F. Even though the weather was kind of dismal, I enjoyed our run and Mike seemed to be having a decent time. He hates the cold way more than I do so it was a pretty big deal for him to come out with me this morning. Fergus always loves his morning run; he doesn't care what the weather is doing. He actually got loose when we got home and I ended up getting another 3/4 mile of walking in going to track him down. Man, that dog is fast! Honestly, I traipsed around the neighborhood looking for him, but I doubt I would have caught him. He ended up back in our yard of his own accord. I get so scared for him when he gets loose. He has no street sense and just runs like a maniac. I worry he will get hit by a car. Fortunately, we've got the yard pretty well secured and he doesn't get free very often.

@midwesterner85 I can't tell you what to do and I've only been running for a few months so I don't really have the experience to give advice. But, I can tell you what I would do in your situation and that would probably be to run the 10K on 2/11 and the 12K on 4/1. I'd use my time to train for the trail run which would be quite a challenge for me.

@BeeerRunner I hope your knee is ok!

Have a fabulous rest of the day!

Completed Races:
    12/3 Snowball Run 5K, Kingwood TX (35:34.2) *PR

Upcoming Races:
    1/22 Choco Loco 10K, Houston, TX

exercise.png
  • _RNR_
    _RNR_ Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I may shoot for 150+ we will see.
  • tdbernrd
    tdbernrd Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm still catching up on this thread. I realized yesterday that this was what I was missing last year. I had lost all motivation after my knee injury. Thanks @Stoshew71 for keeping this going! It's been snowing so I'm working from home. Hopefully, I can get a couple of miles in tomorrow.

1/4-2.48
    1/5-2.39 miles & Pilates
    1/6-Pilates

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn you could also get calf compression sleeves as an option. Then you can wear those with any of your socks. I got a pair of both. At least in the winter your running pants or tights will cover them up when you run outside.

yeah. I'm thinking about getting a pair of sleeves to try out. I really love the socks I have, so getting different socks wasn't something I wanted to do.

Edit: @7lenny7 which calf sleeves do you have?
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I really need to get back into checking this thing daily.

Thanks, everyone for the condolences and the congratulations! haha So far, the past couple of days have run smoothly. I hope it stays this way. Now, I just need to wait to get reimbursed for the week and a half I paid for the rental that I'm (obviously) not using. Then I can get all my money back from the gas station for my repairs.

@skippygirlsmom: I'm in Pennsylvania. You must live not too far from one of my high school friends. When I posted a warning on Facebook about the problem and what others need to do to remedy it (it went locally viral - I was locally Facebook famous for a day), she commented that a gas station near her in Alabama just had the same issue.

@ereck44: Honestly, after I was sure Dave was okay, I laughed, too. It's one of those things I just couldn't make up. A comedy of errors for sure!

On a running note, my original plan for 2017 was no races longer than a 15K. However, a friend of mine made me aware of this little gem: End of the Road Marathon and Half Marathon. It's a little over two hours from my house, and it sounds quite intriguing. Decisions, decisions.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @instantmartian that half looks pretty cool. I'd be tempted to run it too,
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian I'm in the Huntsville area in North Alabama.
    @MNlittlefinn what did you do to you calf. I missed the originally post and went back and looked and didn’t see what happened. So in reading other posts seems you strained it. Skip hurt her calf last year and did rolling, stretching and wore a compression sleeve for about a month while running and a week whether she was running or not and all better no recurring issues
    @melaniefay82 welcome back girl!
    @7lenny7 -20F no, never, no, never  You rebel going the “wrong” direction!
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    1/1-1/3 - sick
    1/4 - 3.1 miles and yoga
    1/5 - circuit training and yoga
    1/6 - 3.5 miles

6.6 miles / 40 miles (16% of goal)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNlittlefinn what did you do to you calf. I missed the originally post and went back and looked and didn’t see what happened. So in reading other posts seems you strained it. Skip hurt her calf last year and did rolling, stretching and wore a compression sleeve for about a month while running and a week whether she was running or not and all better no recurring issues

I'm not totally sure what I did. I've just been having a dull ache in my calf the last several days. I'm thinking that my mistake of doing speedwork a few days in a row pushed it a little too hard. I've had it wrapped since last night and am popping Advil every 8 hours while I'm awake to help with it.

Thanks for telling me about how Skip dealt with her strain. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, and am in freakout mode with my "real" marathon training coming up in 3 weeks.
  • 7lenny7
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Edit: @7lenny7 which calf sleeves do you have?

@MNLittleFinn I bought the Smartwool PhD Compression Calf Sleeves. ETA: You may want to rethink taking Advil for your calf. Not only could it be hindering your body's healing process, the reduction in pain may make you run more than your should, making the situation worse. For more info: https://runnersconnect.net/running-injury-prevention/ibuprofen-and-running/

@BeeerRunner thanks for the link! Are these poses something one could do with no prior yoga experience?

• lporter229
    Options
    @lissadecker -What kind of dog is Fergus? I love the name, BTW. We want pictures. If you have a furry running buddy, pictures are mandatory!
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 thsnks for that. I had been reading on runnersworld, and thr article mentioned taking NSAID mess for a calf strain. Thr pain isn't bad, jut annoying so I'm just going to stop taking thr Advil for now. Here's hoping I don't get a headache....lol Advil is thr only thing that works on those for me.

Here's the link to what I had read on Runner's World: http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/calf-strains just a blip.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Off to a slow start due to my running shoes being MIA, and snowstorms keeping my from getting new ones.
    Found this challenge on 1/3:

1/4- no shoes
    1/5- barefoot treadmill 1.5
    1/6- barefoot treadmill 1.7

Sun is finally shining and I'm headed to the mall for new shoes now...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    It's 17 and snowing here. Which is fine, my one running outting without allergy medicine set me up for some crappy sinus congestion. Yuck. I suppose I could brave it... Idk. Y'all make me wanna do crazy things, ie run in the snow.

By Tuesday it's supposed to be 70 again.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    jennkain97 wrote: »
    Off to a slow start due to my running shoes being MIA, and snowstorms keeping my from getting new ones.
    Found this challenge on 1/3:

1/4- no shoes
    1/5- barefoot treadmill 1.5
    1/6- barefoot treadmill 1.7

Sun is finally shining and I'm headed to the mall for new shoes now...

Now that's dedication!