Someone discouraged me.

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    - One last question though, I've lost weight so far exercising consistently and eating less, but how can I know if actually just eating less without exercising actually resulted in my weight loss? But then, I'm sure the exercising was also a major part of it. I just wish I was sure it wasn't JUST the dieting.

The answer is, what difference does it make? You're succeeding, stop overthinking things and get on with it. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you. But I'm saying if diet alone made me lose this weight, and not the exercise, then why would I continue to exercise as that would be unnecessary in my weight loss journey. I'd save a little time and energy, you know?

If you're speaking purely in terms of weight loss, that would be absolutely correct. In that context, exercise is completely unnecessary and many people have successfully lost weight without exercising. You can lay on the couch and watch TV all day and still lose weight as long as you maintain a caloric deficit.

If improved body composition and overall health are any part of your goals (and they should be), then it would be a good idea to include an exercise component in your weight loss efforts. Read my response to you in your other, nearly identical thread elsewhere in the forums.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    The pictures above - neglect, diet, diet and exercise answer that question. Why does it bother your friend what you do anyway?
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You would continue with exercise because

*it's good for you
    *it increases calorie burn so that you either lose more weight or can eat more or a little of both
    *you will look (possibly MUCH) better at your goal weight if you have exercised, especially strength training
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight before without exercise and I've lost weight before with exercise. Without exercise I dropped weight just fine but I just looked like a smaller version of myself. With exercise I was like damn! I was most defenitely smaller but the way my body looked was nice and smooth and curvy where I wanted curves. And exercise makes me happy ;)
  • Fatvaporizer
    Fatvaporizer Posts: 139 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    - One last question though, I've lost weight so far exercising consistently and eating less, but how can I know if actually just eating less without exercising actually resulted in my weight loss? But then, I'm sure the exercising was also a major part of it. I just wish I was sure it wasn't JUST the dieting.

The answer is, what difference does it make? You're succeeding, stop overthinking things and get on with it. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree with you. But I'm saying if diet alone made me lose this weight, and not the exercise, then why would I continue to exercise as that would be unnecessary in my weight loss journey. I'd save a little time and energy, you know?

If you're speaking purely in terms of weight loss, that would be absolutely correct. In that context, exercise is completely unnecessary and many people have successfully lost weight without exercising. You can lay on the couch and watch TV all day and still lose weight as long as you maintain a caloric deficit.

If improved body composition and overall health are any part of your goals (and they should be), then it would be a good idea to include an exercise component in your weight loss efforts. Read my response to you in your other, nearly identical thread elsewhere in the forums.

So then the guy who said exercise is unnecessary, in the original post, was correct somewhat... But exercise at least speeds up weight loss, right? In order to get that caloric deficit. The more calories you burn from exercise = the bigger the calorie deficit as long as you don't eat it all back up. So in conclusion, exercise is a weight loss booster.
  • AnvilHead
    edited January 2017
    Options

So then the guy who said exercise is unnecessary, in the original post, was correct somewhat... But exercise at least speeds up weight loss, right? In order to get that caloric deficit.

a) Yes, he was.

b) Again, read my response to you in the other thread.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

I'm in excellent health now without intentional exercise factored in, but I'm definitely more active now than I used to be. I am more purposeful in doing things like yard work, taking family walks, trying new things that are physical (counting the days till spring so I can finally buy my kayak!) etc. Being more active is good for health, but that doesn't mean you have to go to the gym or follow a structured exercise program/use machines etc.

I'm getting vibes that OP may not actually be enjoying all the time she's spending at the gym exercising? If that's the case it's good to know that yes you can definitely lose weight without it but it's also important to figure out other ways to be more active in ways that you do enjoy :)
  • mdcromer
    mdcromer Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I would take working out to gain muscle mass (weight) and losing fat over just dieting to losing weight any day. It feels so much better to have a better body to go along with the loss of inches and not just weight.
  • Fatvaporizer
    edited January 2017
    Options

So then the guy who said exercise is unnecessary, in the original post, was correct somewhat... But exercise at least speeds up weight loss, right? In order to get that caloric deficit.

a) Yes, he was.

b) Again, read my response to you in the other thread.

I did, thanks! Basically then, exercise isn't mandatory but it definitely helps in burning calories, which is essential to losing weight, as it's EAT like you said, and when combined with NEAT and BMR and diet = successful weight loss. I get it now, thank you!
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    While i believe it's PARTIALLY true that exercise itself doesn't help weight loss, it is PROVEN that it does help keep the weight off. as others have said, YouTube is NOT a reliable source for medical things. even WebMD has conflicting info. I truly believe that's it's all CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT. except for those with a medical condition that might counteract that, anything else is baloney.
  • sm27357
    sm27357 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    He's wrong. Exercise burns calories. Your weight is a result of the balance of calories you eat and those burned. You burn them via exercise. I'm an RD trust me. Sure you can lose weight by just watching what you eat, but doing both diet and exercise is faster. Not to mention you'll increase your metabolism which will allow you to eat more overall.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. So I've come to the conclusion that first of all, this guy is wrong - exercise definitely helps in weight loss. Diet alone can cause weight loss, but a combination of both speeds the process up and is more efficient, i.e, exercising and burning a specific amount of calories from it makes you not have to eat too little just to create a caloric deficit, which is essential for weight loss, which happens once you reach 3500 kcal.

So my conclusion is someone who just diets without exercise could lose weight, but it'd take longer for them and they would have to eat even less than someone who does both exercise and dieting.

- One last question though, I've lost weight so far exercising consistently and eating less, but how can I know if actually just eating less actually resulted in my weight loss, without the exercise? But then, I'm sure the exercising was also a major part of it, at least I'd like to believe that because I had to work my butt off and sweat day to day. I just wish I was sure it wasn't JUST the dieting.

ok,I have an example that may help- I have lost weight in the past without exercise. just by eating less, but I was more skinny fat back then.I exercise now and I have less fat than I did back then, even though Im around the same weight as before and I am even in a smaller size now than I was.I dont think I lost it any faster with exercise though,But my body has changed in different and better ways with the exercise.. before I got fat I was 140lbs and a size 9. I did a lot of walking but that was it.

4 years ago I was up to 209, broke my leg and lost down to like 175 because I was eating less(I couldnt exercise), then I gained that back. I started exercising in 2012( Im talking cardio,hiit,weight lifting,etc) and in the first 4 months lost 17lbs. went on to lose another 16 lbs, gained the 16 back because I was eating more than I thought I was. came here 2 years ago,starting logging everything(including weighing food). and kept with my exercise,lost that 16 and then some. my body looks a lot better than it did due to the exercise and my diet. so for me both helped. I wear a smaller size now (im 168 lbs) compared to when I was 140.

Now I can run and even walk faster and farther thanks to exercise,Im more flexible,I have better stamina,I sleep better,all thanks to exercise. I dont get out of breath just doing daily things like I did before. My advice is to keep up with the exercise as well, your body will look better because of it, doesnt matter how you lost the weight whether diet,exercise or both. you lost it that is all that matters and your health will be better because of the exercise, NEVER let anyone discourage you. you do what YOU have to do.when people tell you things like that just tell them. you are going to do what makes YOU feel better and not anyone else.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    vczK2t wrote: »
    While i believe it's PARTIALLY true that exercise itself doesn't help weight loss, it is PROVEN that it does help keep the weight off. as others have said, YouTube is NOT a reliable source for medical things. even WebMD has conflicting info. I truly believe that's it's all CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT. except for those with a medical condition that might counteract that, anything else is baloney.

It's still CICO even in those circumstances. Certain medical conditions alter the CI or CO side of the equation or partially mask the effects, but you will still lose in a deficit and gain in a surplus.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. So I've come to the conclusion that first of all, this guy is wrong - exercise definitely helps in weight loss. Diet alone can cause weight loss, but a combination of both speeds the process up and is more efficient, i.e, exercising and burning a specific amount of calories from it makes you not have to eat too little just to create a caloric deficit, which is essential for weight loss, which happens once you reach 3500 kcal.

So my conclusion is someone who just diets without exercise could lose weight, but it'd take longer for them and they would have to eat even less than someone who does both exercise and dieting.

- One last question though, I've lost weight so far exercising consistently and eating less, but how can I know if actually just eating less actually resulted in my weight loss, without the exercise? But then, I'm sure the exercising was also a major part of it, at least I'd like to believe that because I had to work my butt off and sweat day to day. I just wish I was sure it wasn't JUST the dieting.

It wouldn't necessarily take longer, but they would have to eat less. I never used exercise to make my deficit larger...my exercise meant that I could eat a bit more and still lose at my desired rate...i.e. without exercise I eat around 1,900 calories to lose about 1 Lb per week...with exercise I can eat around 2,300 - 2,500 calories and accomplish the same exact thing.
  • Fatvaporizer
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Moral of the story: The more you move (exercise and other activities) and the less you eat, the more calorie deficit you have, which leads to weight loss/fat burn.

Conclusion: Exercise is a calorie burning method for weight loss. Use it or not, it's beneficial and helpful for weight loss if you do, but not mandatory.

Just had to lecture myself and set it in stone lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

But if the exercising was a big part of my weight loss too, then of course it's worth continuing. I just meant that I didn't want to keep doing it if it didn't really contribute to weight loss, since that was the main reason I started an exercise routine. Hope that makes sense.

There are numerous health benefits to regular exercise and there are many studies that indicate exercise could possibly be more important than your diet for your overall health. Losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight is just one small part of being healthy.

I've been maintaining going on 4 years this spring...I exercise regularly...obviously I'm not losing weight...so has nothing to do with weight loss...everything to do with health and general wellness and fitness.
  • Fatvaporizer
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

But if the exercising was a big part of my weight loss too, then of course it's worth continuing. I just meant that I didn't want to keep doing it if it didn't really contribute to weight loss, since that was the main reason I started an exercise routine. Hope that makes sense.

There are numerous health benefits to regular exercise and there are many studies that indicate exercise could possibly be more important than your diet for your overall health. Losing weight and maintaining a healthy weight is just one small part of being healthy.

I've been maintaining going on 4 years this spring...I exercise regularly...obviously I'm not losing weight...so has nothing to do with weight loss...everything to do with health and general wellness and fitness.

So you lost your initial weight all on diet? And you're not losing weight with exercise now in maintenance because you eat normally/not on a diet, right? Meaning your calories gained from food is canceled by exercise, hence maintenance.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Moral of the story: The more you move (exercise and other activities) and the less you eat, the more calorie deficit you have, which leads to weight loss/fat burn.

Conclusion: Exercise is a calorie burning method for weight loss. Use it or not, it's beneficial and helpful for weight loss if you do, but not mandatory.

Just had to lecture myself and set it in stone lol.

With the proviso that you don't take it to ridiculous extremes. Your body needs nutrition and you have to fuel your workouts. Eating too little can have a lot of negative effects and working out too much can lead to the potential for over-reaching/overtraining and injuries. Use a little common sense and moderate both your deficit and your exercise. Don't fall into the "More is always better" mindset.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's pretty common for people to say things like, "Weight loss is in the kitchen and fitness is in the gym" and variations of that, or throw out made up, universal statistics that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

It really depends on why a person is overweight to begin with.

This seems obvious so I feel patronizing even writing it, but since comments like what the guy said don't account for it, I guess it does need to be said.

Let's say that at a lightly active level, to be the weight that puts someone at her "ideal" weight requires 1700 calories a day.

If that person consistently overeats making her average CI more like 2500, then surplus calories are the reason she's overweight and she needs to fix that. Increasing her CO (in the CICO equation) could assist her in doing so. That's because increasing her CO (through exercise) means she can reduce her CI less. If she's someone whose appetite naturally favors higher calories, she'll likely find weight management far more sustainable long term if she doesn't need to keep her CI too low. Still though, her main reason for being overweight is excessive calories so she must reduce CI for a sustainable loss unless she develops a liking for an intense activity level consistently and long-term.

If instead that person consistently slightly overeats and takes in, say, 1900 calories a day, then she could easily fix that surplus with either eating a little less or exercising consistently or both.

Let's say that instead that person consistently eats 1700 calories a day (so her CI in are fine) but has a predilection for slothfulness. That is, because of being sedentary her CO consistently drop below "lightly active," leading to weight gain. That person could compensate for her inactivity by eating less or she could become more active. Since activity is important for optimal health anyway, that solution would be the healthiest overall for her.

I'm short, so my body requires a relatively low amount of calories. Most of my life I've been at a healthy bmi and at a weight that puts me in a size 4. I've experienced short fluctuations (a year or less) 4 times in my life to the upper end of a normal bmi and overweight. All but one were due to my becoming too sedentary. That's a problem of mine, and something I need to watch. The weight falls off me pretty easily once I return to a normal or high activity level. So for me, being at my ideal weight really is about activity bc I'm prone to becoming sedentary and overeating isn't my problem.

Losing/gaining a pound comes down to 3500 calories that are either reduced or a surplus. So whatever is causing that individual's surplus is their problem that they need to address.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    One last question though, I've lost weight so far exercising consistently and eating less, but how can I know if actually just eating less actually resulted in my weight loss, without the exercise? But then, I'm sure the exercising was also a major part of it, at least I'd like to believe that because I had to work my butt off and sweat day to day. I just wish I was sure it wasn't JUST the dieting.

You lost weight based on a calorie deficit.

Let's say you've been eating 2000 calories and doing on average 500 calories worth of exercise per day and losing 2 lb per week. What you know from that (although our numbers are never exact) is that your maintenance calories WITH exercise are around 3000, and that without exercise they would be around 2500. So, if you did not exercise in this hypothetical, you would have been losing 1 lb/week and not two OR ELSE you would have had to eat around 1500 calories per day to lose at the same rate (2 lbs).

The only way that your exercise did not matter is if it is assumed that without exercise you would have chosen to eat less.

(Even so, it matters for health and physical appearance.)