Dry January...anyone else going alcohol free?

Options

Replies

• elizabeppes
    elizabeppes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Obaxzuboy- I think this is the group. Gonna be tough this weekend cause there will be "snow" in Georgia and my entire neighborhood goes to the pub. Lots of hot tea for me this weekend. We can do this!
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The last time I DIDN'T have a drink on a Friday was over 13 years ago. Just saying.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    LZMiner wrote: »
    The last time I DIDN'T have a drink on a Friday was over 13 years ago. Just saying.

Well here's to today being day one in 13 years! (toasting with a nice sparkling water with fruit)
  • Aud66
    Aud66 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So far so good but tomo evening is my danger zone.
  • Savagedistraction
    Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Totally. Oh wait I don't drink
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Egads! It's been years since I haven't had a drink on the weekend. I think once we get this first weekend down, it will get easier. I hope I drop some weight.
  • iluvnufoods
    iluvnufoods Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I will be limiting my alcohol intake considerably. I won't be completely dry, but I want to go from 10 drinks/week (2 bottles of wine) to just 2 or 3 drinks on the weekends (half a bottle of wine.

We can do this!
  • SymbolismNZ
    SymbolismNZ Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've never been a big drinker, just a social drinker, but as part of a challenge to myself I'm going to go as long as I can without any added/processed sugars, including alcohol. I don't actually think it'll be that hard.
  • Tnahpilo
    Tnahpilo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    First off the hardest part is deciding to cut out alcohol. I had been toying with the idea for months and then I joined a weight loss challenge that required it. Aside from my journey to better health I've been looking to be better all around so in October on my birthday weekend, I had my last drink which I did not enjoy and have not craved or desired it since. The best advice I can lend is take it one day at a time, limit your time around regular drinkers and believe you can do it. Good luck!
  • elizabeppes
    Options
    Ok Friday at the Pub with husband and friends & I had fun and I made it not one sip! We can do this!
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No, but I plan to cut down..... after football season is over it will be a lot easier....
  • lizzymcg
    lizzymcg Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm not Alone! I had big dreams of cutting out alcohol and i Did great all week. And then the man brings a bottle home tonight... so looks like it might be a dry-ish January. But it's still improvement!
  • BeckyCM71
    BeckyCM71 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me too, hoping for beyond January in fact. Six days so far!
  • dngallimore
    dngallimore Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Just rejoined MFP after a year's hiatus. I'm pretty good about healthy eating, but my downfall is wine. Must have at least two glasses --usually more like 3 to 3.5 -- every evening, 7 days a week. Since the new year, I have measured out precisely eight ounces each evening and have managed to stop when that was gone. That is my idea of moderation, LOL. BTW, using my method, one bottle last 3 nights. My pocketbook will be very happy!
  • dngallimore
    dngallimore Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lizzymcg wrote: »
    I'm not Alone! I had big dreams of cutting out alcohol and i Did great all week. And then the man brings a bottle home tonight... so looks like it might be a dry-ish January. But it's still improvement!

I totally understand your dilemma. If it were just me and I lived in a vacuum, this would be easier. But when your spouse shares your enthusiasm but not necessarily your commitment, it's a challenge.
  • jlscherme
    jlscherme Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm in, its been 7 days now. I've had some cravings because of boredom and depression. Its hard to admit to yourself the booze is not good for your depression and is probably making it worse. I've been taking Wellbutrin for some time now and it doesn't do much to quell my cravings to drink.
  • elizabeppes
    Options
    Jlsherme- I try to focus on that taking medications for depression is no different than if someone has to take high blood pressure meds so they don't have a stroke- You are doing great!
  • lizzymcg
    Options
    I totally understand your dilemma. If it were just me and I lived in a vacuum, this would be easier. But when your spouse shares your enthusiasm but not necessarily your commitment, it's a challenge.

Exactly! Having a drink or two is something we do together, so I find it challenging to say no if he wants to have a drink with me. Since I am typically the one who initiates having a drink, I have decided that unless he asks, I won't drink. And if he does, I'll limit my consumption. It may slightly slow down my goals, but is still an improvement on my habits before, while still allowing me to live my life.
  • lizzymcg
    Options
    I'm in. Just rejoined MFP after a year's hiatus. I'm pretty good about healthy eating, but my downfall is wine. Must have at least two glasses --usually more like 3 to 3.5 -- every evening, 7 days a week. Since the new year, I have measured out precisely eight ounces each evening and have managed to stop when that was gone. That is my idea of moderation, LOL. BTW, using my method, one bottle last 3 nights. My pocketbook will be very happy!

I decided long ago that weight loss isnt worth it if you're miserable and end up quitting! Moderation is a great way to go!

Maybe we should calculate what we'd save from downsizing our drinking and turn it into fitness/healthy eating Incentives. If there's one thing that will get through to my thick skull it's saving money.