Healthy "candy"

Replies

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    In a pinch, I like to make my own chocolate bark. It's super simple, foolproof, and you can kind of just throw in whatever you want. I personally like to use dark chocolate. Melt a couple bags of dark chocolate chips, mix in whatever you want (I like sliced almonds and dried fruit like cherries or craisins or something) spread it onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, stick it in the fridge for a couple of hours, bust it up into small pieces. I keep mine in the freezer and grab a little chunk when I need a fix (weighing for best accuracy, of course).
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2017
    Good dark chocolate and ice cream are my weakness. However, I feel so much better when I stick with natural sugar and avoid processed sugar and sweet treats. I also got hooked on making my own soft serve frozen yogurt this summer when the temps were hot. It is really yummy! I am trying to get back on track after the holidays after the sweets and sugar.
  • yogagirlT
    yogagirlT Posts: 91 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I get these little dark chocolate, caramel, and sea salt squares at Costco...have one or two most nights after dinner.

I couldn't do the jello thing...jello weirds me out...I'm totally screwed when I get old.

Love the Ghirardelli dark chocolate squares - my fave.
  • missteena88
    missteena88 Posts: 153 Member
    This may be a weird one but I really enjoy a little smudge of pure honey on a plain cracker. Just had some :)
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    How about days when you are running low on calories and still need something sweat, the jello pudding is a good idea.. never though
    t of that! Thanks

Are we talking less than 100 calories? Less than 50?

Sweet: Really, really good quality dark chocolate. A single square is satisfying for me, whereas a whole Hershey's bar just leaves me...annoyed. I also keep spearmints and candy canes around and suck on those... Sweet and takes a while to finish.

Popcorn for salty. Every now and then I'll get some pretzels for the salty, and if I want salty-sweet I'll melt some dark chocolate and dip them. It's a lot easier for me to rein in the portion size on pretzels and popcorn than Cheez-its or salted nuts.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I get these little dark chocolate, caramel, and sea salt squares at Costco...have one or two most nights after dinner.

I LOVE those! They're made by Sanders. Very rich and satisfying for only 70 cals each.

I also like to keep Yasso and Enlighten ice cream bars around. Under 100 cals and decent macros.
  • Antmaril
    Antmaril Posts: 43 Member
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Yasso Sea Salt caramel or mint chocolate chip.

Me too!
  • Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    I love the weight watchers caramel swirl ice cream bars. 80 calories and for me much more filling than candy. The triple chocolate ones are very good too, also 80 calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,888 Member
    edited January 2017
    I'd like chocolate after lunch but found it hard to stop after a moderate amount. However, one tangerine satisfies my sweet tooth and I can stop at one. Alternatively, I will have part of an apple with lunch.

Strangely, after dinner I can stop at one Ghirardelli square, or a mini Peppermint Patti.
  • jaynerz
    jaynerz Posts: 31 Member
    I eat anything as long as it's within my calories but if you're interested in something sweet with a few more benefits than just candy, I love medjool dates. They taste pretty much like candy to me!
  • slong12041989
    slong12041989 Posts: 21 Member
    I love to make this smoothie... I'm a huge ice cream lover and this satisfies that craving for me! Cut up and freeze a banana in a ziploc baggie
    Throw frozen banana in the blender with 1 Tbsp. Natural peanut butter, 1 cup low fat milk, 1 Tbsp. Cocoa powder, blend well!

You can use 1/2 a banana if you need the calories to be lower and could also add less peanut butter. Obviously skim milk, or unsweetened almond milk, etc. the lower calorie type you use there will also help you!

I also write a list for myself of reasons I want to be healthier, and looking at that can help me decide I don't really NEED anything extra.

And like everyone else has said, if you really want some candy, or whatever, have some! Just grab 1 serving and put the rest away, exercise portion control rather than banning foods from yourself. It changes the way you look at healthy eating -- as a more healthy and sustainable lifestyle, not a "diet".

Best of luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    I eat whatever I want as long as I have the room for it. Sometimes it's fruit, sometimes it's candy, sometimes it's ice cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    M&M's 28=100 cal
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Dried mango is like candy to me
    Or medjool dates
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    If I have no calories, or I don't want to waste them on something that wont satisfy me longer than a few minutes... I chew gum. Extra, only has a few calories, and the flavor lasts for hours. Also the strong flavors keep me from impulsively spitting out the gum and eating something I don't need or have the wiggle room for
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    For a sweet treat, you could try dried fruit. Pineapple and dates are my favorite. But for sure, portion control is still important with dried fruit.
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    When I'm craving candy hardcore I'll either eat dark chocolate or a hard candy I can suck on for a while (peppermint balls are my #1 choice, though I also love Jolly Ranchers).

As for sweets in general? I'm obsessed with Clif Energy bars (Chocolate Chip/Cool Mint/Iced Gingerbread) and Quest Chocolate-Chip Cookie Dough Protein Bars. Gosh, I can't get enough of those. I also love Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt Bars (Mint Chocolate Chip) and quite a few Skinny Cow Ice Cream products. Kashi Cookies are also pretty good!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    salembambi wrote: »
    Dried mango is like candy to me
    Or medjool dates

I LOVE medjool dates!! I can....and have ate a whole container. :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I make chocolate, peanut butter sludge topped with yogurt and cottage cheese every night for dessert. It's filling, delicious and with better macros than the the desserts/sweets I'd usually go for.