The reality of maintenance...

Options
Does anyone else notice that maintenance isn't much different than losing weight other than a few hundred more calories? (That means I can have a large scoop of ice cream lol) Maybe I don't really notice a big difference because I never went too low on my cals when I was losing weight? It's kinda sad, but a reality check that I can never return to eating the way I ate before. It's always going to be a "checks and balances" or "sacrifice this for that" mentality for me. Is that an unhealthy mindset? Also, do you miss eating a restaurant sized dinner drink and dessert for one meal? For instance, on the weekends I get invited to breakfast, lunch, and dinner all in one day, and there's no way I can fit those restaurant calories in. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a perspective of this maintaining thing. Any comments and replies are appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    ncfitbit wrote: »
    If you enjoy indulging on weekends and that's predictable, you can always maintain a deficit during the week and save for those weekends. I have an MFP friend who does this very successfully. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1454303/2-years-of-maintenance-130-pounds-lost/p1

Thank you so much for the link! I'm reading through it now :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yep, same mindset. Although I'm quite sure that my TDEE is higher now than it was when I was obese because I'm much more active... but I'm also much hungrier because of it, so I still have to make better choices - even more now than when I was losing, actually... so those extra 300 calories really don't make a big difference to me as it's not 300 calories that I can spend on 'empty' calories, or I end up hungry...
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else notice that maintenance isn't much different than losing weight other than a few hundred more calories? (That means I can have a large scoop of ice cream lol) Maybe I don't really notice a big difference because I never went too low on my cals when I was losing weight? It's kinda sad, but a reality check that I can never return to eating the way I ate before. It's always going to be a "checks and balances" or "sacrifice this for that" mentality for me. Is that an unhealthy mindset? Also, do you miss eating a restaurant sized dinner drink and dessert for one meal? For instance, on the weekends I get invited to breakfast, lunch, and dinner all in one day, and there's no way I can fit those restaurant calories in. Anyway, I'm just trying to get a perspective of this maintaining thing. Any comments and replies are appreciated! Thanks!

I'm soooooo hoping that this is true:). It's going to take about a year 1/2 for me to get to goal weight. After that long I better have learned something:).

My husband likes to eat out. I'm eating out quite a bit while losing so I just play with my calories i.e have low calorie days so I can have higher calorie days. I plan on keeping this up.

Maybe you are goal oriented? Perhaps have some fitness goals or personal goals? idk
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Yeah it sucks. I still have not gotten used to it. TDEE of 1800 and appetite for 2500.

Bahahaha AGREED!