Wanting to gain muscle!

Options
I'm relatively new to the whole diet thing. But I exercise regularly. Right now I weight 152lbs at 5" 10 and I'm trying to get to 170lbs or close to it after research many say to cut first then gain. Which I have no problem with. Anyone have any suggestions for starting macro wise? Or any advice, also I do take whey protien after workouts.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you saying you're going to cut right now or bulk to 170?

Meal timing doesn't matter too much. Just make sure to hit your numbers every day.
  • Flyeaglesfly8630
    Flyeaglesfly8630 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Check out. http://www.buffdudes.us it's a great site or check know them out on YouTube they have helped me a lot plus they are coming out with a bulk tutorial soon
  • TrainingSayian
    TrainingSayian Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My BMI came out to 21 I know it's not %. Thanks all for info on the topic I'll post pic later for reference.
  • TrainingSayian
    Options
    I'm also using the Macros app for iPhone and it breaks down my carb, protein, and fat in grams for a daily intake. It goes off weight height age etc.
  • TrainingSayian
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you saying you're going to cut right now or bulk to 170?

Meal timing doesn't matter too much. Just make sure to hit your numbers every day.
    I'm trying to get bigger bulk to 170 muscle gain idk if that's a redundant statement
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My BMI came out to 21 I know it's not %. Thanks all for info on the topic I'll post pic later for reference.

BMI is kind of worthless. Body fst is the major driver. Do have you a six pack or the beginnings of one?
  • aim4fit5062
    aim4fit5062 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Timing is very important post work out! Don't miss that window to get in a quick protein and simple sugar source so the protein can be absorbed quickly. Personally i take phorm1 (supplement super store..no i don't work fir them) and i gained 7% muscle readily. You can also add creatine monohydrate to help increase lean size and strength. The more muscle you build, the more fat you will burn so i don't believe in cutting first. Just lift and be strict w your form so you can keep lifting. Def track your macros and adjust % through trial and error.
  • TrainingSayian
    Options
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Timing is very important post work out! Don't miss that window to get in a quick protein and simple sugar source so the protein can be absorbed quickly. Personally i take phorm1 (supplement super store..no i don't work fir them) and i gained 7% muscle readily. You can also add creatine monohydrate to help increase lean size and strength. The more muscle you build, the more fat you will burn so i don't believe in cutting first. Just lift and be strict w your form so you can keep lifting. Def track your macros and adjust % through trial and error.

1) Timing is not important
    2) There is no "window"
    3)You didn't gain "7% of muscle readily"
    4)To burn more fat, you need a calorie deficit, not more muscle

• psuLemon
    Options
    OP, your body fat might be a little high, but you are also probably not in a bad place to bulk. I am not sure I would bulk all the way to your original goal, but you can take that into consideration as you go. The best thing you can do is get onto a good structured program, like one of the ones below, and work on nutrition.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • aim4fit5062
    aim4fit5062 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Trigden1991
    For me, a hard gainer, there is an anabolic window of up to 2 hrs. I believe it is different for each person as we all have different metabolic characteristics.....and training Sayian looks like he's in the same boat as me...and so do you frankly. It's not the whole solution to mass gaining, but part of the solution. Other parts had already been addressed by others so no need to rehash.

• psuLemon
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Trigden1991
    For me, a hard gainer, there is an anabolic window of up to 2 hrs. I believe it is different for each person as we all have different metabolic characteristics.....and training Sayian looks like he's in the same boat as me...and so do you frankly. It's not the whole solution to mass gaining, but part of the solution. Other parts had already been addressed by others so no need to rehash.

How many calories are you eating? Typically, those who are "hard gainers" just struggle getting the calories they need. Typically, they have active jobs, aren't eating frequently, or putting a lot of limiting factors on what foods they can or cannot eat (sometimes allergies plans in effect). But if you look at the science (linked below), there really isn't a window post exercise, but there may be a benefit to consume some protein either pre- or post- workout within a 2 hour window but further research still needs to be done to compare about total intake.

"Despite claims that immediate post-exercise nutritional intake is essential to maximize hypertrophic gains, evidence-based support for such an “anabolic window of opportunity” is far from definitive. The hypothesis is based largely on the pre-supposition that training is carried out in a fasted state. During fasted exercise, a concomitant increase in muscle protein breakdown causes the pre-exercise net negative amino acid balance to persist in the post-exercise period despite training-induced increases in muscle protein synthesis [36]. Thus, in the case of resistance training after an overnight fast, it would make sense to provide immediate nutritional intervention--ideally in the form of a combination of protein and carbohydrate--for the purposes of promoting muscle protein synthesis and reducing proteolysis, thereby switching a net catabolic state into an anabolic one. Over a chronic period, this tactic could conceivably lead cumulatively to an increased rate of gains in muscle mass."

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5

ETA: With this said, I do consume a pre workout protein shake (since my lunch is 4 hours prior) to hold off hunger and I consume dinner right after. If anything is important, I would rather spread out protein as luecine stimulates MPS.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Are you looking at 170 as your final goal, or your goal for this bulk?
  • TrainingSayian
    Options
    Final goal is to be 170lb if I'm a little under from cut is fine
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options

Are you currently running a weight lifting program?
  • TrainingSayian
    Options

No I'm not
  • psuLemon
    Options

No I'm not

Well that should be your step 1
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Right now I weight 152lbs at 5" 10

The problem appears to be that you're under six inches tall, but you weigh 152 pounds. I suggest cutting down to about half a pound or so, which would be more in line with your diminutive stature.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    OP: You are a classic "skinny fat" person. Your objective really should be body re-composition -- not weight loss or gain.

You need to lose fat and gain (or maintain muscle) by doing low rep heavy compound lifts (no hi rep/low wt stuff), eliminate any high endurance cardio and eat at maintenance (calculate your TDEE) w/in +/- 100 cal/day so that you do not gain weight using a macro of at least 35-40% protein, 35-40% carb and 20-30% fat.

Starting Strength (SS) or Stronglifts (SL) would be suitable weight lifting programs. They both focus on the Big 4 compound lifts -- bench press, deadlift, overhead press and squat. These are all of the lifts you need to do. No need to bother with any accessory or isolation lifts. Not even rows or power cleans also used by SL and SS, respectively. In fact, too much additional lifting, could be detrimental to your ability to do the basic 4 compound lifts. So, just focus on them.

You shouldn't even think about gaining weight until you get your BF down to at least 15%. Get a DXA scan or Hydrostatic test to best determine your BF level initially and every 3 months thereafter. Bioelectrical devices are basically worthless in terms of accuracy but can be useless to map trends. Calipers can be accurate if used by an experienced operator but there are very few people who can use them well.

You should shoot for at least 1g/lb of body weight in order to have enough available for muscle growth. IMO, the more protein the better; excess protein will convert to sugar and will be consumed as part of your normal energy needs as long as you are not eating at an excess It will NOT hurt you. You need protein for muscle development. Protein is also harder to digest, makes you feel full (so you'll eat less) and requires more energy to digest. The only caveat would be that the extra protein is useless if you are not doing any lifting to make use of it.

Below is a link to an article on how to address the skinny fat 'problem." There's some nonsense and hype in this article but there's good advice too. Just ignore the hype and follow the essential tips:

-- Learn to Diet Properly
    -- Focus on Heavy Compound Weight Lifting
    -- Cut Back on Cardio

See: https://www.muscleforlife.com/skinny-fat-solution/

Good luck!