Fun fact...

Options
Savagedistraction
Savagedistraction Posts: 312 Member
edited January 2017 in Getting Started
Not one person has ever lost weight because they bought a fit bit, expensive workout clothes or trendy exercise equipment. If you need to lose weight, the only thing that works is to eat less and move more. The toys and expensive outfits..unnecessary. I'm sure this may be obvious to most..but it seems a reminder is in order. Weight loss does t have to cost you any money. Don't be a sheep. The diet industry is invested in convincing you that their crap is necessary in order for you to succeed. Nope. Move and eat less. That is all you need.

Replies

• K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    eissacf25 wrote: »
    The clothes are necessary, I mean if I showed up to the gym with out them I'd probably get some funny looks and possibly arrested for public indecency ;)

Lmfao this made me laugh!.. i guess im a sheep.. baaaaahhh...:p
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    If you need to lose weight, the only thing that works is to eat less and move more.

This is false.

You're right. Those are two things.

And aren't both necessary.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    unfortunately the OP is incorrect.

Losing weight does cost money. Do you need "special" gear...yes you do.

If you go for a walk without the proper shoes it hurts (been there done that)
    If you go for a run in jeans yah...okay

You need proper shoes and clothing for the activity....that does cost money.
    The "healthy" food is more expensive than "easy foods" so chances are your grocery bill will go up.

Not trying to discourage just throwing a dose of reality in here...

I have a fitness tracker...it helps but not necessary
    I do not go to a gym

I do however have 3 pairs of runners (walking/running), I have spent funds on weights and proper clothing (keeps the girls in check when running) among other items of clothing that are required for what I do.

I am not a sheep but get to enjoy what I am doing I have to have the proper gear to do it...it's a must have not a nice to have thing....and if you are serious you get that too...

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would burn a lot less energy in the winter if I hadn't invested in some decent winter running clothes and that would certainly impact my weight loss.

I understand what you're saying, but if HRMs, nice workout clothes, and phones that easily allow us to access calorie database information help people stay motivated and meet their goals, they can indeed play a role in weight loss.

They aren't required, but neither are a lot of the other things people choose to buy with money. If I have to choose between a nice piece of running gear or a lipstick, I'll probably choose the running gear. Why not?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
    Options
    Different things help different people. To lose weight you do need a calorie deficit and you do not have to spend a lot of money on expensive gadgets. But I like my gadgets. I like to be able to track my steps and calories burned. I'm older and I remember trying to count calories in the old days before cell phone apps. It was too difficult and tedious for me and having mfp on my phone makes it a snap. I could eat less before, but I didn't. And as far as workout clothes. I like to wear workout clothes. It makes me feel more serious about my exercise than just wearing a baggy old shirt. Plus I do yoga and I can't wear baggy shirts for that. It does help to feel comfortable when working out and feel like you look good. If you are working out in the heat, even if it is just walking then moisture wicking is important and so are proper shoes. So while I agree that you don't have to spend a lot of money to lose weight, I don't think there is anything wrong with people wanting the gadgets and the workout clothes. I would argue that some people have lost weight because of those things because if that is what helps them stick to their calorie deficit then that is what they need to do.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    unfortunately the OP is incorrect.

Losing weight does cost money. Do you need "special" gear...yes you do.

If you go for a walk without the proper shoes it hurts (been there done that)
    If you go for a run in jeans yah...okay

You need proper shoes and clothing for the activity....that does cost money.
    The "healthy" food is more expensive than "easy foods" so chances are your grocery bill will go up.

Not trying to discourage just throwing a dose of reality in here...

I have a fitness tracker...it helps but not necessary
    I do not go to a gym

I do however have 3 pairs of runners (walking/running), I have spent funds on weights and proper clothing (keeps the girls in check when running) among other items of clothing that are required for what I do.

I am not a sheep but get to enjoy what I am doing I have to have the proper gear to do it...it's a must have not a nice to have thing....and if you are serious you get that too...

If the subject is weight loss and not fitness, none of that is required. Weight loss can be done without spending extra money. That is the only true part of the OP.

But just because something isn't required doesn't mean it's bad. It's like suggesting that anyone that owns more than one pair of pants is a sheep at the mercy of the fashion industry.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    You do not have to spend money to lose weight. You just have to take in fewer claories, burn more calories or both. Money does not have to be an obstacle to weight loss.

You don't have to buy particular foods/shakes/teas.
    You can choose to use free tools like MFP or workout videos on you tube.
    You can walk without a fitness tracker.
    You can wear clothes you already own. You can exercise at home barefoot in your pj's if you choose.
    You might find it helpful to have appropriate shoes, specific exercise clothing (like a sports bra), a food scale, a pedometer or fitness tracker, a gym membership or home exercise equipment but not necessary. Spend money if you want but if you can't don't feel you can't lose weight.

My purchases over the last 2 years were:
    shoes
    sports bras
    $12 pedometer
    5 lb weights

I have cut about $50-60 off my food spending each week by not eating out much, eating more beans or lentil dishes and eating less beef.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This may be true BUT... to eat healthy you need to spend more money. No one ever lost weight eating spagetti!