January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I walk "laps" through my building which is actually a zigzag from one side to the other. I have figured 1 full trip from front corner to opposite back corner AND BACK to be only a 1/10th mile. So I have to do 10 laps (or 20 single trips) to get 1 measly mile :-p I walk inside only when everyone else leaves. I can't walk outside because I have to answer the phone.

Yup, one time around the atrium is 0.1 mile. I like to get at least 2 miles in during lunch, so that's 20 times around. The deli is located there too, so I'm dodging people the whole time. So much fun. *cough*

It was indeed okay to walk outside today, so I got 2.6 going around the building twice. Much better.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    And I would like to know how I managed to lose another two pounds despite my depression making me eat emotionally and skip some of my runs. I guess I'm subconsciously still staying within my calories, even though my food choices haven't been great.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I posted this on Facebook but haven't gotten much response yet. Maybe you all can help? And just to note, my appetite and energy level are back today. I'm still taking it easy but am doing some small stuff around the house. Only problem may be going back to work Tues-Fri.

I have been training since this summer for my first marathon next weekend. Last Saturday I came down with a cold which turned into a sinus infection on Wed night/Thurs morn. I have been trying to rest, eat, and hydrate. I still have a cough and some stuffiness. My energy level is low. I have difficulty breathing just walking around (yay ashtma). Do I skip the marathon? This would be my first year missing PF Changs since I started racing. So I'm feeling extremely sentimental. I am also a little sad that if I don't do it I miss out on making the giant 4 year metal (I have the first two, this would be #3). What are your thoughts?

I am just so torn as to what I should do. I want to do the marathon but if I'm not 100% and I can't finish it would be worse than not doing it. Argh!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I also tried wearing a baseball style hat with my headlamp as suggested. I don't think that one is going to work for me.

I've tried wearing a headlamp with a baseball cap, and it doesn't work for me either. So, when I run in the rain in the dark or in the middle of a Texas summer when I have to start a long run early in the dark but the sun will come out with a vengeance in the middle of that run, I use a flashlight that attaches to the brim of my hat. It's not super bright, but it works, and I know all us runners need more gadgets. ;)

This is the one I have:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001QCXTBI/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483546934&sr=sr-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=hat+light+clip

I have a clip-on one that I like to use if I run late night in the summers. (Unfortunately too much wind in the winter for a brimmed hat when I'm more likely to be running in the dark).
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I posted this on Facebook but haven't gotten much response yet. Maybe you all can help? And just to note, my appetite and energy level are back today. I'm still taking it easy but am doing some small stuff around the house. Only problem may be going back to work Tues-Fri.

I have been training since this summer for my first marathon next weekend. Last Saturday I came down with a cold which turned into a sinus infection on Wed night/Thurs morn. I have been trying to rest, eat, and hydrate. I still have a cough and some stuffiness. My energy level is low. I have difficulty breathing just walking around (yay ashtma). Do I skip the marathon? This would be my first year missing PF Changs since I started racing. So I'm feeling extremely sentimental. I am also a little sad that if I don't do it I miss out on making the giant 4 year metal (I have the first two, this would be #3). What are your thoughts?

I am just so torn as to what I should do. I want to do the marathon but if I'm not 100% and I can't finish it would be worse than not doing it. Argh!

So, shouldn't this week have been part of your taper, anyway? I'd probably try to do it. I've only completed one, so far, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'd rather try (and fail) than not do it at all. I know I'd regret not making the effort, after all the training.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

So, shouldn't this week have been part of your taper, anyway? I'd probably try to do it. I've only completed one, so far, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but I'd rather try (and fail) than not do it at all. I know I'd regret not making the effort, after all the training.

It is but between traveling and illness I haven't run in like 2 weeks. I am mostly worried about my breathing, not so much the running. :|

And I am probably overthinking & giving myself anxiety. LOL

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

@RunsOnEspresso I'm with @autumnblade75 on this one. You've paid your money, you might as well go. Walk it in if you must, but get out there, do you best, and enjoy your day. Having been sick takes the pressure off of trying to hit a goal time, so just focus on the experience.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19
    1/4 5 miles - 24
    1/5 10 miles - 34
    1/6 3.1 - 37.1 <<< Treadmill
    1/7 15 miles - 52.1
    1/8 REST DAY
    1/9 9.5 miles - 61.6

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Half - 1/21
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

Work was busy this morning since I was coming back from travel. Just now getting around to logging my miles that I ran earlier this morning. I ran Madkin Mountain this morning non post which is over 600 feet of elevation and a heck of a workout. I need to do this morning often.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

@RunsOnEspresso Is there a lower mileage race you can switch to, like a half marathon? If not, maybe you can run/ walk the marathon so you can at least finish it. I just know that for me, I'd have to be close to death for me not to run in my upcoming marathon. However, I don't have asthma so that should play a part in your decision. It's a long distance to run when you're at 100% much less sick. Good luck and keep us posted. You don't have to decide right now. You could feel better by the weekend.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso- I agree that you should do it unless you are really feeling like you can't. I wouldn't hold back because you haven't run. If you can get a few short runs in this week, you will be fine. If you are still feeling nasty, is there a half you can drop down to? that way you will still get your medal and continue your streak.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    @7lenny7 @BeeerRunner @lporter229 I believe I can drop down to the half or 10K by just lining up at the start for either of those (I'd have to double-check). And you're all right, I will feel bad if I don't do it. I had dropped to the half last year (much earlier due to getting in zero training early on) and I kicked myself for not doing the full, so much so I signed up for this one at the expo!

I am feeling much better today. I think the worst is over. I'm going to take it day by day but I really do want to run the marathon (or run/walk lol)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Afternoon check in day 3 no running. Got the call I was waiting for. I have a PT appointment set for Thursday. Now here's my conundrum. I was thinking about going for a short test run tomorrow to see how I feel, because there was no guarantee that I would be able to get into the PT any time soon. Now though, with the PT appt, I'm debating just keeping resting until after the appt. I'm actually really torn.

On the one hand, The denial runner in me is afraid of losing cardio for missing almost a week of running (despite knowing that I won't, not really).

On the other hand, the hypochondriac runner in me is saying to rest, eat and sleep tonight, tomorrow and Wednesday, and pick up running after the appointment because I'm sure to hurt myself if I run before the appointment....

Ggggrrr
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Afternoon check in day 3 no running. Got the call I was waiting for. I have a PT appointment set for Thursday. Now here's my conundrum. I was thinking about going for a short test run tomorrow to see how I feel, because there was no guarantee that I would be able to get into the PT any time soon. Now though, with the PT appt, I'm debating just keeping resting until after the appt. I'm actually really torn.

On the one hand, The denial runner in me is afraid of losing cardio for missing almost a week of running (despite knowing that I won't, not really).

On the other hand, the hypochondriac runner in me is saying to rest, eat and sleep tonight, tomorrow and Wednesday, and pick up running after the appointment because I'm sure to hurt myself if I run before the appointment....

Ggggrrr

I'd say go for the test run, but be prepared to bail out early if your Achilles complains. It's not so much about the run, as about how your body reacts to the run and having another piece of information for the PT to work with. The effect on your cardio conditioning shouldn't even be on the radar screen.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    1/1-1/3 - sick
    1/4 - 3.1 miles and yoga
    1/5 - circuit training and yoga
    1/6 - 3.5 miles
    1/7 - rest
    1/8 - yoga
    1/9 - 3.2 miles and yoga

9.8 miles / 40 miles (24% of goal)

2017 is starting out pretty strong! I just can't wait to run outdoors again! Signing up for a 5k in April. Hoping to find another one to do.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @bmelb1 - I'm glad you were able to get a refund. I suppose the best thing to do when you look for another program is tell them, "I run at X pace. Will I fit in?"
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I'd say go for the test run, but be prepared to bail out early if your Achilles complains. It's not so much about the run, as about how your body reacts to the run and having another piece of information for the PT to work with. The effect on your cardio conditioning shouldn't even be on the radar screen.

Rodger that, I was kind of waiting for your reply @MobyCarp . I think I just need to get to see the PT and I'll feel better, having an idea how to get recovery going. I have a 2 mile loop I can do, so that's the plan for tomorrow.

I was sitting all day today...ugh, training...... So I'm stiff all over, there will be a lot of stretching tonight!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3
    01/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 13.9
    01/05/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 17.2
    01/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 17.2
    01/07/17 :::: 6.9 :::: 24.2
    01/08/17 :::: 2.5 :::: 26.7
    01/09/17 :::: 2.8 :::: 29.5

Run group workout tonight - finally a night with no rain or snow. It was cold and the streets were a bit iffy on the edges, but we managed. Hill repeats tonight - 15 minutes worth. I wasn't counting but looking at my Strava data it looks like we did the hill 7 times over the course of that. My lungs were burning!

I had done a 5 mile snowshoe hike this morning with Stella also, so now my legs are feeling it. I should do some yoga to stretch out but I'm really comfy on the couch...
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jan 02     6.5        6.5
    Jan 07     4.3       10.8
    Jan 09     4.3T      15.1

exercise.png