January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    jennkain97 wrote: »
    Off to a slow start due to my running shoes being MIA, and snowstorms keeping my from getting new ones.
    Found this challenge on 1/3:

1/4- no shoes
    1/5- barefoot treadmill 1.5
    1/6- barefoot treadmill 1.7

Sun is finally shining and I'm headed to the mall for new shoes now...

Now that's dedication!

Seriously! (But for some odd reason it makes me want to try barefoot treadmill running)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Seriously! (But for some odd reason it makes me want to try barefoot treadmill running)
    Me too. Kind of
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Edit: @7lenny7 which calf sleeves do you have?

@BeeerRunner thanks for the link! Are these poses something one could do with no prior yoga experience?
    @7lenny7
    Yes!! My husband and 8 year old son have both done these videos. It's definitely a beginner's video and targets stretches that will benefit those that run. Also, I am one of the most unflexible people ever (probably why I should have done track as a kid instead of ballet...lol).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    jennkain97 wrote: »
    Off to a slow start due to my running shoes being MIA, and snowstorms keeping my from getting new ones.
    Found this challenge on 1/3:

1/4- no shoes
    1/5- barefoot treadmill 1.5
    1/6- barefoot treadmill 1.7

Sun is finally shining and I'm headed to the mall for new shoes now...

Now that's dedication!

I did it last year, about 1-1.5 miles is all my bare feet could handle. They blistered on the bottom. It was a great way to listen to my strike and get a feel for how I should be running.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It's 17 and snowing here. Which is fine, my one running outting without allergy medicine set me up for some crappy sinus congestion. Yuck. I suppose I could brave it... Idk. Y'all make me wanna do crazy things, ie run in the snow.

By Tuesday it's supposed to be 70 again.

@Elise4270 You can run in this!! I just went for a 2 mile walk!! Just try to avoid going north in open spaces!! Lol If you must go north, wear a fleece neckwarmer.

We had flurries all morning, walked during my lunch with flurries and ice pellets. Now, its snowing really good!! It could be ice pellets, but it looks like snow. :smiley:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn - Lots of good discussion on the calf. The one thing I don't see in other comments is, active recovery. That is, "rest" isn't total inactivity. For a calf strain, Achilles problem, and similar things, it includes regular, gentle activity. Gentle walking is good, with emphasis on "gentle." The idea isn't to beat a speed record or to maintain a constant pace, it's to just keep moving enough to stimulate blood flow and promote healing.

It's *normal* to freak out about something like this a few weeks before a major training program starts. Don't worry about the mileage. In 3 weeks, you won't lose enough conditioning to matter. Cut back miles enough to let that calf get better. Don't mess with speed work until the calf is better. Be conservative now, and when you get into the structured marathon training plan you'll be glad you didn't push when it wasn't important.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - Lots of good discussion on the calf. The one thing I don't see in other comments is, active recovery. That is, "rest" isn't total inactivity. For a calf strain, Achilles problem, and similar things, it includes regular, gentle activity. Gentle walking is good, with emphasis on "gentle." The idea isn't to beat a speed record or to maintain a constant pace, it's to just keep moving enough to stimulate blood flow and promote healing.

It's *normal* to freak out about something like this a few weeks before a major training program starts. Don't worry about the mileage. In 3 weeks, you won't lose enough conditioning to matter. Cut back miles enough to let that calf get better. Don't mess with speed work until the calf is better. Be conservative now, and when you get into the structured marathon training plan you'll be glad you didn't push when it wasn't important.

Thanks. You've given me a TON of awesome advice, I learned a lot from yor experience at recovery. I'm planning on cutting the mileage to recover. My mileage goal goes out the window, and that's new for me, but I've never trained for something as big as a marathon before...come to think of it, I've only been running for 10 months....LOL....I'm not a kid anymore, but running makes me feel like one.

I'll be skipping my run tomorrow, just some easy walking, and Sunday is my normal rest day, so I've got those days off for sure, plus icing it and wearing my bandage for compression. I'll reevaluate on Monday, when the temp will be 20 degrees warmer and I can run outside, if I'm feeling good. otherwise I'll hit up the elliptical at the gym to get cardio without the banging. I find it a lot easier to go slow when there's scenery.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    I like that hat!
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Tired with persistent headache this morning so originally thought about a day off from exercise. Good thing about hanging out on MFP is that eventually I usually get guilted into doing something. I couldn't warm up today - even in the house, so decided an outside run was off the cards and I'd head to the gym instead.

Started off with 5k @ HM pace on the treadmill then into some upper body strength work followed by working the legs with a quick spin (5mins @ 17mph), some stairmaster action (438 steps/29 floors in 5 mins!) and finally a quick hop back onto the treadmill for some interval work (2k as 30s fast/1min MP repeats). So much for my rest day!

Considering how I felt this morning, the session was really good - I was like jelly walking out which is always a good sign, though suspect I'm going to be sore tomorrow!

exercise.png
    3-Jan: 11.49k [6.7k MP + 4.8k easy -suffering with cold]
    4-Jan: 5.3k treadmill intervals [TM]
    5-Jan: 12.9k MP (slight hills)
    6-Jan: 5.2k tempo + 2.2k interval treadmill sessions [TM]

• srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @BEERRUNNER , done!

January milege
    1---0.50 walk
    2---3.47 w
    4---5.37
    6---1.39 18f, real feel 10. In the snow. My foot steps are in a straight line.. no surprise, weak hip abductors. Ran 3 minutes, walk 2.

6.76/30 running miles
    3.97 walking miles

Advisable races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I ran 2.9 miles, 17F windchill 6F. That's our high for today. I did not like this run. I found it difficult to breathe (cold air can aggravate asthma). I didn't FEEL cold but when I got home I realized my belly was cold and red. I was ready to be done and just stopped at the driveway instead of going the .1 to make 3 miles even. Tomorrow will be a little warmer thank God.

@7lenny7 I have a brother in law who wears shorts yearround. Lol
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    1/1 - 4 miles
    1/2 - 1.5 miles
    1/3 - 0 miles
    1/4 - 3.5 miles
    1/5 - 3 miles
    1/6 - 4 miles

16 of 100 miles

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @mobycarp I'm loving the hat!

I'm just sick watching the news about the shooting in Fort Launderdale airport.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hadn't heard about a shooting :(
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hadn't heard about a shooting :(

5 dead, shooter in custody.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    A nice run tonight to test my hamstring (another work-related twinge). I'm not going to brave my long run tomorrow, I'll leave it until Sunday just in case, but shouldn't be a problem.

January Running Challenge

1st - 12.66 miles inc 5km PB 25:05
    3rd - 3.11 miles
    4th - 6.17 miles
    6th - 3.03 miles

MTD - 24.97/100 miles

Upcoming races:
    12th March 2017 - North London Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

01/01/17 - 5 miles
    01/02/17 - 5 miles
    01/03/17 - 3 miles
    01/05/17 - 6 miles

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19
    1/4 5 miles - 24
    1/5 10 miles - 34
    1/6 3.1 - 37.1 <<< Treadmill

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Half - 1/21
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

There was too much ice on the roads this morning and I am in unfamiliar territory up here in Ft. Campbell. So today was a hotel treadmill day. First time on the treadmill in a long time.