January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Got in a freezing 3.6 miles today out of a planned 4. It was a balmy 3degrees F when I got home. I think it is the last run with Neeko until it warms up, he had snow building up in his paws and got to cold. I will miss my buddy, he is good to talk to and rarely talks back. :)

Date. Run. MTD
    1/2 - 2 miles - 2 miles
    1/4. - 4 miles - 6 miles
    1/7. - 3.6 miles - 9.6 miles

5/21 Cleveland Marathon Half
    6/11 Run and Ride Cedar Point Half (back up plan) otherwise...
    6/10-11 Run and Ride Cedar Point 5k and 10k

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    So, I woke up this morning and the pain wasn't in my calf per se, it's right at the point where my Achilles joins the muscle, and goes a little lower. It's not so much a pain as a consistent tightness with some pain now and then.

When I jog in the house (test jog, maybe 20 meters of jogging), there is no pain, it's only when I'm sitting still or walking. Still, I'm glad I decided not to run this morning. I have 3 weeks until I start marathon training, and if I have to skip all three, I guess so be it. I just hate not being able to run.

@MNLittleFinn - Alarm bells went off in my head. Your pain is right where it showed up when I came down with Achilles tendonitis. I didn't know what it was till my podiatrist wrote the diagnosis on a prescription for physical therapy. Then I wasn't sure that was a real Dx or just something to get me into PT, until the PT told me everything was acting like Achilles tendonitis.

If you don't already have a podiatrist and/or a physical therapist, now would be a good time to do some research on local professionals that treat runners and have an initial appointment. Best case, you find out it's nothing to worry about. Worst case, you get stuff to do for the issue that is designed for what you really have going on, instead of what we guess is going on from what you write.

@MNLittleFinn like @mobycarp my head went ding ding ding when you said where the pain was. Poor Skip is always my reference, but when she had achilles tendonitis it was in the same spot. I agree 100% with MobyCarp. Skip didn't want to upset her coach and didn't say she was in pain, she just kept running and icing it. Finally she went to the trainer and he sent us to an orthopedic doctor and she spent 6 weeks in a boot. Doctor said typical overuse injury, she was running and playing soccer at the same time. Please have it checked out.

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom yup I have an appt request for my GP to get a referral, since most of the time I need one. I also talked to a PT I know. Unfortunately I have to get a referral to see him, but I'll be looking tonight to see if there's a PT I can get into without one, wife is going to help, she's in insurance and can guide me through thr morass of medical stuff.

Super pissed off right now. At myself for thinking it was just a calf issue. Not its Saturday and all the people I'd need to call are closed.

Staying off my feet and icing my leg and just doing s ok me light dynamic stretching today.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Glad you're staying off the calf for now. Hope it's nothing serious!

@OSUbuckeye906 That sucks about your maybe-stress fracture. I hope you get the best possible news at your follow-up!

@Elise4270 Glad to see you getting some runs in!! Finally!! ;)

@Orphia Park run + water guns sounds amazing!! I imagine that as cold as we're beginning to get, y'all are getting nice and hot. Stay safe in that heat!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @kristinegift thanks. I'm just hoping that I can heal up enough in time to train for the marathon. Glad it's still 6 months out.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I know you'll be 100% soon!!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I know you'll be 100% soon!!

Thanks.

I skipped right frome denial to hypochondriac mode so I'm feeling pretty sorry for myself right now......lol a year ago I would have been more than happy to not run for a few days and now it's only the first and I'm moping...lol I'm such a dork.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1/4- no shoes
    1/5- barefoot treadmill 1.5
    1/6- barefoot treadmill 1.7 =3.2
    1/7- 2.15 =5.35

Still on the treadmill as I cannot run in the cold -- my lungs cannot take it, no matter how much I try to condition myself. Much more comfortable with shoes though :smile:

• OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the well wishes and input! It means a lot. I'm going to go ahead with the MRI as I think it's best to know exactly what type of injury I'm dealing with and will give my doctor a better idea of how to treat the injury and how to prevent further injury in the future. I was able to view the report on the bone study x-ray online and it sounds like everything was normal, so that's good. For now, I'm only allowed to walk or swim as far as exercise goes, so I may be visiting the gym a little bit more (along with the rest of Columbus). I really wish my gym had one of those zero gravity treadmills.

@Orphia That looks like a blast!

@vandinem Glad you're feeling better and was able to get in a run before all the snow!

@MNLittleFinn Sorry to hear you're dealing with an injury as well. I also hate not being able to run (I'm in moping mode too) but I think you're doing the right thing by not taking a chance on injuring it further.

@kristinegift Way to go on making it that far in the snow storm! Love the pics.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles:::: Jan MTD (goal = 70)
    01/01/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 4.3
    01/02/17 :::: 2.9 :::: 7.1
    01/03/17 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.3
    01/04/17 :::: 3.6 :::: 13.9
    01/05/17 :::: 3.3 :::: 17.2
    01/06/17 :::: 6.9 :::: 24.2

Cold long run this morning - at 8 am it was 9 F with -2 degree windchill. The wind off the lake was tough on the face, which was pretty much the only exposed skin. I started out with a group who were a bit too fast for me, so the first 20 minutes felt like much more, and then I slowed it down so I could last the whole time. I have a lot of problems with my hands getting alternately too hot and too cold as I take my mittens and gloves (layered) on and off. All in all, it wasn't a bad run and I'm glad it's done!

After I got home, then I had to take Stella out for a hike. My legs are feeling wobbly now and I'm curling up on the couch for a while to get toasty warm. Garmin told me I was moving more than a typical Saturday, so I take that as my cue to relax. :)

Still catching up on everyone's posts. Stay warm and safe out there (and not too warm for our down under contingent).
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @OSUbuckeye906 that's great news about the gait analysis! I'm hoping you have as speedy recovery as possible!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    01.01.17 - 15 m. LR
    01.02.17 - 10 m.
    01.03.17 - 9.1 m. TM 6 M + 5K.
    01.05.17 - 9 m. TM w/ incline.
    01.06.17 - 10 m. TM. 9:10 pace.
    01.07.17 - 8.1 m. TM 5 M + 5K.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    1/1 - 4 miles
    1/2 - 1.5 miles
    1/3 - 0 miles
    1/4 - 3.5 miles
    1/5 - 3 miles
    1/6 - 4 miles
    1/7 - 2 miles with Skip and Macy

18 of 100 miles

exercise.png

22F (-5C) 16F with windchill, but so beautifully sunny. We have a lot of things to do today, so just a quick 2 miles with the two best running partners.

v4ux2uhkvfxp.jpg

wfvar2cbfsnn.jpg

Skip just informed me she lost the $100 running vest she got for Christmas, kids!!!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Skip just informed me she lost the $100 running vest she got for Christmas, kids!!!

Ugh awful! My kids are no different. Alex lost a 300$ Garmin, an 80$ pocket knife, he's totaled 2 trucks..... Haha!

Love the pics! Hope the vest turns up.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I must be a wimp. So many people out running in crazy cold temps and I'm just here like, nope.

Woke up to 9F today and decided not to bring my running gear to my mom's. I wore my shoes in case I feel like walking, but ugh. Tomorrow I'll be able to hit the gym again.

Edit: I am telling myself it's okay to slack off a wee bit during the cold weather/depression episode, because I will no doubt more than make up for it come spring. As it stands right now, the two-month bout of severe depression has finally caught up with me, and I am feeling physically drained. My doctor gave me a new med to add to my regimen, so fingers crossed that that helps pull me out of this funk.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    It's cold outside! When I woke up today, it was -7°C "feels like -11°C" (19F/12F) according to my phone. Good thing I didn't have any special plans for the day, so I could postpone my run until 2pm when it had warmed up to -4°C "feels like -8°C". Still cold enough to motivate me to move fast - I had a pace run planned anyway. I went out a little too fast - my goal pace was 6:15min/km, I ended up with 6:10min/km instead. Oh well, I'll try to do better next time.

Thursday I did some hill repeats. Usually I either use a steep but short hill in my neighborhood for that, or I drive over to the mountains and skip the "repeat" part in favour of running up a big hill :wink: This time I decided to follow the training plan instructions instead and run intervals of 400m fast up/400m recovery down. I wasn't entirely sure what pace and incline to pick - the only long enough hill that's close to my home only has 5% slope. Still, 400m at half marathon pace where hard enough that I'm hoping it does the job.

But I'm kind of curious now: what kind of slope and pace do you guys use for hill repeats?

i6ofp1.png
  • _RNR_
    _RNR_ Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    39 of 150+ miles compete.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    1/1: 5 miles
    1/2: 2.4 miles
    1/3: Busy day
    1/4: 4.5 miles (am), 4.5 miles (pm) + lifting
    1/5: 6 miles
    1/6: 4 miles + lifting
    1/7: 4.2 miles trails

I decided to sleep in and run trails around 9 am, but the first reserve I went to was unexpectedly closed for "deer management." So I didn't end up running until around 10 am by the time I got to a different reserve. And by then it was no longer snow showering but rather snow storming. Trails in the snow is much slower than trails in the not-snow, but the worst part was the snow pelting my eyeballs. Ouch! Called it quits at 4.2 miles (wanted ~6 miles) because I kept getting lost and I was mad at the snow for hurting my eyes plus my whole face was turning into an icicle. Got some nice photos though!

8c6ab0mnaawy.png

nhvod1sa9bqt.png

And I managed to document my transformation from "Oh some snow, but yay I'm trail running" to "Ugh gross this snow is angering me/I'm an evil ice princess"

4fwbe6x487jv.png

exercise.png

Winter/Spring 2017 Races:
    1/8: NYCRUNS Cocoa Classic 10 mile
    2/18: FebApple Frozen 50 - 10 mile (trail)
    3/12: E. Murray Todd HM
    3/18: Looney Leprechaun 10k (trail)
    3/26: Philly Love Run HM
    5/14: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    5/21 or 5/28: Cleveland or Vermont City Marathons (maybe)
    7/1: Finger Lakes Fifties 50k (trail)

You are so cute evil ice princess ;)