January 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• melaniefay82
    melaniefay82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    What's the rule of thumb when coming back from illness?
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Idk. Yours is chronic/autoimmune, right? For colds as long as I'm not gonna poo my pants, barf (too much), or have a fever, running is okay.
    Maybe do a quick 10-15 minute run and see how it goes.

@Elise4270 Woman! What is up with this insult to your injury?

Well..... I'm not supposed to be running anyhow. :tongue: I'll swimming today if there's no storm.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Day two of three back-to-back longer runs...loose change for some, but a first for me, so like yesterday, I took it real slow again.

01 - 5.21 miles
    02 - 5.60
    07 - 5.56
    08 - 5.60
    10 - 10.71
    11 - 11.21

Total: 43.89 / 75
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

TMI ahead:

I don't know about time amounts or the illness itself, but will answer about what I do regarding some of the symptoms: Recently I've had seemingly endless snot running from my nose as well. Part of it is I think I have a sinus infection and the other part is that it is cold out. The snot doesn't bother me much - often I can't even feel it running down my face until I get home and go inside where it is a bit warmer. Then I can feel my face and the snot on it, lol. I do carry a hankerchief in my pocket where I can grab it and wipe without stopping. I do slow down usually to spit the mucus that runs the other way (down my throat) when it becomes too much of a problem for breathing. I slow down and spit sideways because if I spit forward... even after slowing down... well, I just end up wearing it.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Good morning gang! Today was a crap run, mainly because I'm sleep-deprived. Need to catch up.

Hope you all have a good day!

exercise.png

1/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    2/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    3/1: 3.52 kms (Wk1 D1 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 10 mins Squat Challenge + 5 mins Tabata HIIT
    4/1: 3.54 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 7 mins HIIT
    5/1: 3.54 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K – repeat) + 30 mins yoga + 14 mins HIIT
    6/1: 3.63 kms (Wk1 D3 C25K) + 30 mins yoga
    7/1: Walked 16K+ steps + 4 hours of cleaning (post paint job)
    8/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    9/1: Walked 16K+ steps + 2.5 hours of cleaning (post paint job) - Had to fast for a medical app't in the morning, so no usual workout
    10/1: 3.55 kms (Wk2 D1 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 1 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    11/1: 3.63 kms (Wk2 D2 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 2 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Jan 1-5.3 miles
    Jan 2- Rest day- P90X3 yoga
    Jan 3- 6 miles w/ 3 @ tempo
    Jan 4-5.1 miles (1 with crazy Stella)
    Jan 5-5 miles treadmill fartlek run
    Jan 6- 4 miles total -1 mile warm up outside with Stella then 3 miles of intervals on dreadmill
    Jan 7-7.7 miles
    Jan 8-14 miles
    Jan 9- Rest day
    Jan 10- 4.5 miles treadmill
    Jan 11-6 miles (slow and icy)

Yesterday evening thunderstorms (yes, thunderstorms, complete with lightening and thunder) and high winds forced me onto the treadmill. I managed to suffer through 4.5 miles before I decided that was enough. This morning, after temperatures plummeted during the night, all of the streets were encased in a nice thin layer of black ice. I could not stomach the thought of another treadmill run (I did two last week), so I just took it slow. The immediate streets near my house were not too bad, but some of the streets in my subdivision have a different type of pavement that turned out to be very slick. I bounced back and forth between street and sidewalk. My headlamp did not offer a lot of assistance in determining where the slick spots were, and I almost bit it a few times. I capped the run off with a mile with Stella, who was bouncing off the walls after spending much of the last three days inside. I mostly ran in the grass with her because I knew she would be pulling me. After all was said and done, my average pace for 6 miles ended up being 9:15, which wasn't nearly as slow as it felt. I know that I altered my stride quite a bit and had a slightly lower than normal cadence though, so I am anxious to see how my legs feel tomorrow.

@MobyCarp- I made the mistake of underestimating recovery from a half marathon. This fall I raced HMs on back to back weekends. The thing is, my HM race pace is about 45 seconds per mile faster than my marathon pace. After two weekends of that, I actually was hurting much worse than after my last marathon.

exercise.png
  • melaniefay82
    melaniefay82 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Ha! I only barfed once today so I'm counting that as a win and it was more due to sinus drainage than true GI issues. And you're right, I do have chronic autoimmune issues, but this is normal people illness I am trying to rebound from; although the autoimmune issues makes recovery twice as hard and long....

@midwesterner85 Snot rockets are way more fun than hankies. Even if you do end up wearing them. ;)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    this thread is so USEFUL!!!

I've been struggling to get my long run beyond the 7 mile distance, and am sort of resigned to throwing in some walking bits in order to achieve that. BUT I had also decided to try and increase my running frequency to increase miles on my feet - a couple of short half hour runs to see how that gets me.

Hopefully that will get me through the barrier and onto my HM goal. Don't think I could face doubles just yet but someone mentioned having extra washing of clothes when you do that - that's why I run outside where no one can smell me in yesterdays running gear.....
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @banana742581 Welcome to the group :)

@elise4270 What are we gonna do with you?! Hope you feel better and can run soon :)

@AdrianChr92 I think I have enough clothes to run doubles daily for 2 weeks and not run out :*

@louubelle16 Thanks for "relating". I do think that I should give up the idea of a long run for at least a few months, until I can run like 25mpw for a few months without being injured.

@orphia Nice news feature :)

Sounds like lots of people are sick. GET WELL SOON TO ALL OF YOU!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    This talk about long runs has me reconsidering my long runs. Currently I run between 20 and 25 miles per week. My long run has usually been about 8-10 miles, which might be slightly too much for my running base. I calculated 35% of 22 (which is about average for me) and that was just over 7 miles. Assuming I run 4-ish miles four other times that week, that's about right. So... there it is. Looks like my long run should be between 7-8 miles right now.

But you know, I had to run 10 miles just to prove that I could do it. :smile:

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Monday = 4.2 miles on the treadmill
    Tuesday = 4.6 miles on the treadmill

Thank goodness for Two and a Half Men. That show is always on the TVs at the gym, and it's relatively entertaining so it helps keep me from getting too bored.

Total = 26.4/100 miles

Edit: I also have 22.7 walking miles, for a total of 49.1 overall miles for 2017.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19
    1/4 5 miles - 24
    1/5 10 miles - 34
    1/6 3.1 - 37.1 <<< Treadmill
    1/7 15 miles - 52.1
    1/8 REST DAY
    1/9 9.5 miles - 61.6
    1/10 10 miles - 71.6
    1/11 5 miles - 76.6

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Half - 1/21
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Daily check in- I think I'm fully in hypochondriac mode, every little thing seems like the end of the world. I am so glad that tomorrow is my PT appointment so I can, hopefully get clearance to run. I think getting a decent run in at the correct pace will help with my confidence....assuming PT gives the go ahead.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @orphia love the article I'm so glad you posted it for us to see. I was laughing at the date of it, it was weird to see something dated tomorrow :smile: the simplest things amuse me.

I didn't run yet today. I had to pick up the guy I work with at 7:30 to take him to work. So I thought, if it's raining hard to go to the gym at 5:00 am and that will give me time, well I woke up and it wasn't raining so I said that will give me another 20 mins or so to lay here. I got up at 5:20, did the bathroom thing, got dressed, opened the front door at 5:40 am and it started to pour. Okay I'm not a weather baby and if it started to pour while I was running I would have gone, but it's stepping out cold into the pouring rain when it's not 70 degrees. So I thought well I'll wait it out a bit.........by 6:00 I knew I wouldn't have time to run, shower and take care of Macy and get Rick on time. So if it's pouring tonight I'll stop at the gym, if not I'll run at home.

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @orphia - great article! Thanks for sharing it!

Rest day for me. I'm still trying to get rid of this cold. I can run with it but I feel like it's just not going to leave me until I rest a little bit and I know I have a lot coming up this weekend!

1/1 - rest day (recovering from stomach virus)
    1/2 - 40 mile bike ride
    1/3 - 4 miles
    1/4 - 4.1 miles
    1/5 - rest day
    1/6 - 5 miles
    1/7 - 4 miles
    1/8 - 5 miles
    1/9 - 4 miles
    1/10 - 4.1
    1/11 - rest day

Upcoming races
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    So this week I have been working on quicker feet (again).

Today: 4 miles with 175 spm (steps per minute) cadence.
    Yesterday: 10 miles with 174 spm.
    Monday: 10 miles with 171 spm (but I was also running up a mountain at over 600 feet of elevation.