Good low calorie butter substitute?

2»

Replies

• schac061
    schac061 Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2017
    kbs4111 wrote: »
    My daily calorie goal is set pretty low, so 100 calories per serving of butter can really suck (though I only have it with toast in the morning, and sometimes at dinner).

Do you guys have any recommendations for substitutes, or low calorie butters? /quote]

I use Land O Lakes light whipped butter. It's 50 cal/1 tbsp, which I rarely use the entire tablespoon if I am putting it on toast or my veggies with lunch or dinner.
  • schac061
    schac061 Posts: 41 Member
    schac061 wrote: »
    My daily calorie goal is set pretty low, so 100 calories per serving of butter can really suck (though I only have it with toast in the morning, and sometimes at dinner).

Do you guys have any recommendations for substitutes, or low calorie butters? /quote]

I use Land O Lakes light whipped butter. It's 50 cal/1 tbsp, which I rarely use the entire tablespoon if I am putting it on toast or my veggies with lunch or dinner.

So that posted weird...
    My response was:
  • ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    I have been debating that question myself. i dont really care for margarine's taste, and I can really crave butter, its been hard to cut that down. But its also a pain to get/weigh a small amount, so i just bought some whipped butter today to try and make it easier to get a small portion. I was thinking of trying a few of the blends with real butter if that doesnt work out well. As long as it has real butter in it. I have used some of the smart balance before when i went the whole healthfood nazi route, it wasnt too bad, but i never really liked it. I wasnt counting calories, I was just using it because it was supposed to be "better" for me. (eyeroll) So hopefully can avoid doing that again, might be new options since that was about 7 years ago.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Ok what is whipped butter? I searched high and low for this at the grocery store yesterday and found none. The staff had no idea what it was either. Is it an only in America product?
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    I use Smart Balance but there is

nothing

that compares to real butter

• lilmiss_sunshine29
    lilmiss_sunshine29 Posts: 136 Member
    Thanks for all the replies!

Cream cheese

• ConnieT1030
    ConnieT1030 Posts: 894 Member
    Ok what is whipped butter? I searched high and low for this at the grocery store yesterday and found none. The staff had no idea what it was either. Is it an only in America product?

Ah didn't see this follow up. I am not sure, but it sounds like it must not be regularly available elsewhere if you & they don't recognize it. I have no idea why not. It is just what it says, butter that's been beaten/whipped, like with a giant whisk, so that air is folded into it, just like you would do to make whip cream. It ends up fluffier. They often serve it that way at a higher end restaurants in little paper cups. Basically, its like a tub of margarine, only its butter.
    And as long as you give it a bit to soften, or microwave it a few seconds, (darn refrigerator makes it almost as hard as the stick) it *is* easier for me anyway to get less butter, because it spreads better.
    If it was in the store, it would be right where they sell the sticks/tubs of butter and margarine.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Nope. Spread a wedge of laughing cow cheese on your toast for 35 calories.

Mmmm butter. It's really not part of my diet. I love getting something buttery at a restaurant once in a blue moon though.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Brummel & Brown Yogurt Spread. Tastes enough like butter to me, 45 calories per serving (1 tablespoon).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Unfortunately original Earth Balance isn't lower in calories than standard dairy butter--they're both 100 calories per tablespoon. (That's comparable to other fat-dense foods, like nut butter; a tablespoon of oil is 120 calories.) Whipped versions or "light" margarines will help with the calorie count, and there are products like buttery flavored spray, but I don't think anything does a good job of replicating the taste of butter. If you're really craving butter, I'd recommend using less and trying to eat it less often.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    53s1d44pq8jc.jpg

I use this. 50 calories per tablespoon and it's satisfying enough that I often use half a tablespoon. I like it better than any of the other spreads for eating on toast or crumpets, etc., but it does have water or air or whatever added so it just seems to melt rather quickly, but I don't have a problem with that. That's one of the things I dislike about real butter.