Most hated food

Options
I am sure that everyone has a food they hate eating. Some people still eat the foods they hate while others refuse to touch it. What foods do you hate?

I do not consider myself a picky eater at this time. I have tried things that sound and looked disgusting like chocolate meat and I have tried things made from weird ingredients like a protein bar made from ground crickets. I even eat things I use to refuse to eat when I was a child. There is one thing I will not eat and that is chicken. I never liked the taste to begin with but while in the military I stopped eating chicken after the second time it was served to us rotten. Every time I look at chicken I can still taste the rotten meat.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't hate any food, but there are some I just can't manage:
    Canned corn, peas, mushrooms.
    Tomato chunks, seeds and the gel-like goo stuff.
    Sauerkraut.
    Eggplant.
    Avocado.
    Grapefruit.
    Chickpeas.
    Crab.
    Maybe a few more. But I'm getting more adventurous.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Licorice
    Coconut (in all its disgusting forms)

Otherwise, I am willing to try most things. :)
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'll basically eat anything (including grasshopper tacos, at least a bite! and lamb brains we got at a French place...very tasty). I'm not sure I've had durian but I'm not sure I can handle the rotten dirty sock flavor/smell its supposed to have. I feel very lucky that I do like most things and don't have issues with texture.

That said, I honestly don't care for chicken either. I'm very jealous of people who just eat it and enjoy it. Regardless, we have it like once or twice a week for dinner. Usually in a soup or with enough breading or sauce to mask the chicken-y taste. But yeah I don't care for just straight chicken, so I've stopped forcing myself to eat it for lunches. Now I make meatloaf or taco meat something with beef or venison.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Yikes on that rotten chicken. That has got to be a pretty bad experience.

My personal nemesis is bananas. I was traumatized by a banana flavored antibiotic sirup as a child (3x a day for 14 days... I was gagging after the first day and hiding underneath my bed by the last). Since then I can't stomach them. I can force them down, but they won't stay down for very long.

It was pretty useful when I was in junior high to get out of the science class right after lunch. I never did get the point of dissecting things to see what they look like inside. I think it was the teacher's favorite pastime as it seems we had that at least once a month. So I always made sure to get a banana for lunch on those days (it's healthy after all... right?), choke it down right before class and let it work its magic. It was far enough in between that the adults didn't seem to make the connection; they all just seemed to assume that I had a very weak stomach and that an afternoon rest was all I needed.

Mom laughed when I told her that recently. She hadn't ever noticed I was using bananas to skip class since my grades never suffered from it, it was rarely on Friday afternoons, and I really did have a weak stomach at the time since we'd just moved continent and I was generally having trouble adjusting to the changed food.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    My personal nemesis is bananas. I was traumatized by a banana flavored antibiotic sirup as a child (3x a day for 14 days... I was gagging after the first day and hiding underneath my bed by the last). Since then I can't stomach them. I can force them down, but they won't stay down for very long.

I had something like that when I was a kid too! I remember pinching my nose and screwing my face up. I don't even know what that antibiotic was for. Oh God #memories

Having said that I like bananas and LOVE foam bananas (which are kind of close in taste to that syrup, just... not medicinal).
  • Lisa_ASD_Mummy
    Lisa_ASD_Mummy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I can understand why rotten chicken would put you off chicken for life

For me its Rocket and Coriander both just make me gag
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I eat most things, but I'm not a fan of oysters, and muscles remind me of girls bits (although I have eaten them mixed in marinara). I don't do tinned tuna either, or canned protein in general.

I wouldn't eat matcha/green tea desserts. I think it tastes like grass.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

I had something like that when I was a kid too! I remember pinching my nose and screwing my face up. I don't even know what that antibiotic was for. Oh God #memories

Having said that I like bananas and LOVE foam bananas (which are kind of close in taste to that syrup, just... not medicinal).

Lucky you. Banana's are actually an amazingly convenient food. It comes pre-packaged with an easily disposable wrapper, makes no mess (provided it doesn't get squished) and you can use it in a gazillion recipes. I keep on trying if maybe, just maybe I can manage them, but the wiring in my brain seems to have been permanently messed up by that stuff.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms, liver & broccoli :s
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Ketchup.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER. I hate everything about it. The smell, taste, texture. Everything. According to my mom, I've hated nuts since I was a wee baby.
  • Racouol
    Racouol Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Lucky you. Banana's are actually an amazingly convenient food. It comes pre-packaged with an easily disposable wrapper, makes no mess (provided it doesn't get squished) and you can use it in a gazillion recipes. I keep on trying if maybe, just maybe I can manage them, but the wiring in my brain seems to have been permanently messed up by that stuff.

Maybe you can try a different type of banana. If you can get it, get an apple banana
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Pickles, olives, mushrooms, beans, mustard, yogurt, anything with vinegar on it. Yuck.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Any cooked greens. Slimy spinach or collard greens yuck!!!

Love raw spinach though!!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eggs.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    onions, liver and brussel sprouts :|
  • jonjaxmom
    jonjaxmom Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Liver, liverwurst, and beet juice. Just discovered I hate beet juice, because I got a juicer for Christmas this year :wink: