January 2017 Biking Cycling Bicycling Challenge!

Replies

• SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    dtcjem wrote: »
    For those of you riding indoor trainers... Does anyone have a shelf in front of their bike for Ipad or such? I have seen one from Wahoo but its pricey so looking for suggestions or solutions you have found. I currently have my Ipad on a shelf beside me

I do built it myself. I took 4 -2x4's cut them to the height of my handlebars and a piece of 7/16 plywood about 18" square and screwed it to the top of the boards. The stand sits straddle of my front tire and about 4 inches from my handlebars. I sit my laptop on it for youtube videos, Pandora radio or watching Netflix while riding. If your not handy with construction find a carpenter and he could whip something out of scrap pretty cheap. I have maybe $4.00 in the whole thing.
  • SteveCro
    I'm in this month. I missed being in it last month. I will set my goal at 200 miles combination of indoors and outdoors. Depends on the weather and snow for outside.

1/4 - 8.27 miles - outside 18*F with 18 mph winds weather bug says feels like 3*F
    1/5 - 8.0 miles - outside 12* F
    1/6 - 7.91 miles - outside 8*F
    1/7 - 10.39 miles - outside 12*F
    1/9 - 8.53 miles - outside 27*F

YTD - 43.09 miles
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    I'm actually considering getting an indoor trainer, to be independent from the weather. I saw some rollers online that aren't too expensive. I just have to figure out if I would actually use them or if they would just end up collecting dust after the first excitement has worn off.
    I have a bike computer that measures using a little magnet on a spoke of the front wheel. Would that also work on rollers, or would I have to buy something else to track speed and distance?

With rollers, I don't know. I bought a trainer myself, which means that my front tire is never spinning. I had to go for different cadence and speed sensors. Since I went with Garmin, that meant speed sensor that goes on the back wheel, and cadence sensor on the pedal arms. If you do the same, you'll also need to know a little trick about the Garmin cadence sensor: Pick up and drop the front wheel of your bike about 2 inches before each ride. A part of how it gets turned on seems to be the jarring motion of picking up and putting down the bike while getting ready for a ride.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Which garmin cadence sensor have you got - the modern one or the previous magnetic one? The new one definitely doesn't need to be bump-started - it starts with the 1st or 2nd turn of the crank
  • pedermj2002
    The new one. It's a single device that goes on the pedal arm, no magnet elsewhere at all. It might not say it needs to be bump started, but I haven't gotten it to work for me in any other way. I spin the crank a good four times, nothing. I drop the front tire 2 inches, spin the crank twice, and it lights up like it's supposed to.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    The new one. It's a single device that goes on the pedal arm, no magnet elsewhere at all. It might not say it needs to be bump started, but I haven't gotten it to work for me in any other way. I spin the crank a good four times, nothing. I drop the front tire 2 inches, spin the crank twice, and it lights up like it's supposed to.

That's interesting. I have the older magnetic sensor on one bike (works perfectly) and the newer crank mounted one on another bike and I've been thinking the batteries in the crank mounted one keep dying very prematurely (two or three rides).
    Will have to try your bump start routine next time.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

That's interesting. I have the older magnetic sensor on one bike (works perfectly) and the newer crank mounted one on another bike and I've been thinking the batteries in the crank mounted one keep dying very prematurely (two or three rides).
    Will have to try your bump start routine next time.

I wish I could find my BT speed and cadence sensor. It came off when I was taking the bike up from the basement and since outside my speed is calculated with the GPS and my cadence from my Moov Now, I put it in a good place. Now I can't find it. I bet it will show up in the spring when I move my cycling outside again and don't need it.
  • wobblybots
    wobblybots Posts: 52 Member
    Goal 400km

03/01 - 15km Turbo HIIT session
    04/01 - 12km Turbo session
    06/01 - 15km Turbo HIIT session
    08/01 - 50km road cycle
    10/01 - 10km Turbo Strength & Power session

Total to date: 102km
  • 35dollars
    Tue 10 - 23.77 miles

MTD 47.57 / 250, YTD 47.57 / 4000
  • 35dollars
    @ pedermj2002

Sounds to me that your cadence sensor is faulty
  • pedermj2002
    35dollars wrote: »
    @ pedermj2002

Sounds to me that your cadence sensor is faulty

It might be, but this is the second one in a row that does it. I actually replaced the first one via tech support when I couldn't figure it out, and the sensor just wouldn't turn on. I still have the original, though, and just tried it. Same result. Bump start, and it works immediately. No bump start, and it won't ever turn on.
  • Rebsrockem
    Rebsrockem Posts: 26 Member
    Jan 5: 11.1 mi. / 35 min. watching Extreme Calorie Burn (Road To Victory, Colorado) & listening to Pearl Jam
    Jan 7: 11.1 mi. / 35 min. watching Extreme Calorie Burn (Road To Victory, Colorado) & listening to Buffalo Tom
    Jan 10: 11.1 mi. / 35 min. watching Extreme Calorie Burn (Road To Victory, Colorado) & listening to Van Halen
  • DomCraigKing
    DomCraigKing Posts: 103 Member
    edited January 2017
    @_nikkiwolf_

Might be an idea for you and others doing winter rides. Look on Ebay or Amazon for Battery heated gloves. Waterproof, thick, insulated with the added bonus of being gently heated. A rechargeable battery just sits in a small pouch on your wrist and warms the glove all through, I know from experience no matter how cold your hands stay warm as toast no matter how cold it is. They come in around £15 to £30 so not a major expense for something so useful.

• SteveCro
    I'm in this month. I missed being in it last month. I will set my goal at 200 miles combination of indoors and outdoors. Depends on the weather and snow for outside.

1/4 - 8.27 miles - outside 18*F with 18 mph winds weather bug says feels like 3*F
    1/5 - 8.0 miles - outside 12* F
    1/6 - 7.91 miles - outside 8*F
    1/7 - 10.39 miles - outside 12*F
    1/9 - 8.53 miles - outside 27*F
    1/10 - 6.5 miles - indoors on trainer - 30 to 40 mph winds with rain

YTD - 49.59 miles
  • 35dollars
    A rechargeable battery just sits in a small pouch on your wrist and warms the glove all through, I know from experience no matter how cold your hands stay warm as toast no matter how cold it is. They come in around £15 to £30 so not a major expense for something so useful.

I got a pair of these, but I wouldn't describe the pouch as small (well, I suppose it is small, objectively, but it feels enormous stuck on the back of your wrist).

(Hasn't been cold enough, since I got them, to try them out yet, so not necessarily a recommendation of this particular make/model - looks like they might be getting a run out on Friday, with the temperature due to hit -6C during my commute))
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    Since I got my 800 minutes in December, I think I will see if I can start the year with 900 minutes on my trainer. If I can find my BT speed/cadence sensor, I may put a distance measure in there, but it seems to be hiding from me.

January 1st 0 minutes. I am just too tired after not getting to sleep until 4:30AM and then waking up at 9AM.
    January 2nd 40 minutes - Total 40 minutes 860 to go.
    January 3rd 30 minutes - Total 70 minutes 830 to go.
    January 6th 18 minutes - Total 88 minutes 812 to go.
    January 9th 45 minutes - Total 133 minutes 767 to go.
    January 10th 40 minutes - Total 173 minutes 727 to go.
  • tristramtrent
    tristramtrent Posts: 257 Member
    1 Jan 12km indoor
    4 jan 20.24km Burghfield village ave 15.6kmh gain 104m
    6 jan 20km The Vyne & back 16.5kph gain 103m
    9 jan 12 km indoor
    11 jan 27.71 km Woolhampton ave 14.8 gain 120m
    It's slower cycling down the canal towpath - mud, gates and other interruptions - peaceful though
  • 35dollars
    Wed 11 - 26.98 miles

MTD 74.55 / 250, YTD 74.55 / 4000

Homeward leg was a real slog into heavy headwind. Looking forward to rest day tomorrow
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    January 1st 51.6 Miles -- Duration 4:00:09
    January 3rd 10.1 Miles -- Duration 00:31:00
    January 4th 11.0 Miles -- Duration 1:00:28
    January 5th 17.9 Miles -- Duration 1:03:00
    January 6th 9.88 Miles -- Duration 00:33:00
    January 7th 15.1 Miles -- Duration 1:45:32 (MTB)
    January 8th 30.8 Miles -- Duration 2:15:17
    January 10th 20.5 Miles -- Duration 1:09:58

January Total Miles: 166.88
    January Total Duration: 12:18:24
  • Rebsrockem
    Rebsrockem Posts: 26 Member
    Jan 5: 11.1 mi. / 35 min. watching Extreme Calorie Burn (Road To Victory, Colorado) & listening to Pearl Jam
    Jan 7: 11.1 mi. / 35 min. watching Extreme Calorie Burn (Road To Victory, Colorado) & listening to Buffalo Tom
    Jan 10: 11.1 mi. / 35 min. watching Extreme Calorie Burn (Road To Victory, Colorado) & listening to Van Halen
    Jan 11: 11.1 mi. / 35 min. watching Extreme Calorie Burn (Road To Victory, Colorado) & listening to Queen