Favorite cereal?

Options

Replies

• daniey89
    daniey89 Posts: 23
    Options
    My favourite is either Special K with fresh fruit and milk or Homemade muesli (you can control what goes into it unlike bought stuff) and yoghurt and fruit. Both keep you going through the morning and are tasty!
  • giaciccone
    giaciccone Posts: 257
    Options
    Rice Chex with strawberries! mmm.
    And it's gluten free!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    kashi go lean!!
  • PuzzleGirl65
    PuzzleGirl65 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I eat the Kashi Go Lean Crunch (honey flax almond) with 1% milk and strawberries. It's like the grown-up version of Cap'n Crunch with Crunch Berries! I need a lot of protein in the morning and the Kashi cereal does it for me.
  • cshore54
    cshore54 Posts: 70
    Options
    Kashi very vanilla oatmeal. I love to chop up an apple, throw in a few dried cranberries, cover with water and microwave them until the apples soften. Add the Kashi oatmeal andd cook about a minute longer. Stir in some cinnamon and one chopped up walnut. Tastes so yummy, is very filling and keeps me going a long time.

Also love Special K Protein Plus. I enjoy slicing up a fresh peach, adding some Greek vanilla yogurt and spinkling 1/4 cup of the cereal for a sweet added crunch. Lots of protein, filling and tastes like dessert.

Chris
  • beckmuck
    beckmuck Posts: 1
    Options
    When i eat cereal for breakfast, it's 1 cup of multi-grain cheerios & 2/3 cup of smart balance fat free milk, it's only 184 calories, and i need the carbs for energy to do my 30 day shred workout
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Unless I am being super really bad - that is when I eat french toast encrusted with Captain Crunch. DROOOOOOOOOOOOOL

this just made me sooo hungry lol
  • YoungJoker
    Options
    None, cereal isn't good for you....un needed carbs.
    HUH?
    double HUH

This is not new news.......... There are a lot healthier choices for breakfast than cereal....cereal has a lot of carbs, and a lot of times a lot of sugar. Advertising has made cereal look like something "healthy" to be eating when you are trying to loose weight. cereal=processed. And by her saying that she is sick of the cereal she is eating, is implying that she is not only eating it religiously, but too often at that.

Yepper, I absolutely agree with you, and I think oatmeal is better and healthier than cereal.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cereal (except weetbix if I'm away from home and all the other options don't work), I tend to think that they are overpriced, overprocessed and over-marketed. My personal opinion is that it's fine as a treat, but not really a healthy everyday food.
    Have you tried making your own muesli (granola in the US I think)?
    It's basically raw oatmeal with lots of nuts and seeds and fruit, and sometimes bran or coconut or whatever else you fancy.
    It is high in calories but you really don't need much.
    My usual weekday breakfast is about a cup of fruit salad, 100g fat free natural yoghurt and 1/3 cup of muesli. This all comes in under 300 cals and keeps me full for ages.
  • Zockera
    Zockera Posts: 8
    Options
    Mine is Kashi Heart to Heart oat flakes & Blueberry clusters! Yummy <3
  • mcgeemm
    mcgeemm Posts: 3
    Options
    I like the Cascadian Farms Maple Brown Sugar Granola. I put the 2/3 cup serving in a coffee mug with about 1/2 cup of skim milk. It's about 260 cals and 4.5g of fat. Plus, it's usually on sale at Kroger for less than the big name brands.
  • BrownEyedGiRL928
    BrownEyedGiRL928 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I get bored as well so I've decided to start mixing it up. Special K offers several flavors, so I buy three and alternate every morning... Special K with Blueberries, Special K Vanilla Almond, and Special K with Strawberries. I also add fresh blueberries, or strawberries to it. All calculated - it's a breakfast for about 190 calories.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I eat a bowl of Shreddies at night because it is high in fiber and has 50% of my iron for the day. I rarely eat red meat, so I need the iron.

As for the carbs argument - I don't count carbs. Don't care, don't need to care, doesn't matter to me. The focus on one component of a diet over all others doesn't work for me. I eat a balanced diet, heavy on fruit and veggies, and whole grain breads and cereals, with lean proteins.
  • KPstartingover
    KPstartingover Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Wow - I can't believe nobody on this thread mentioned Reese's Peanut Butter Puffs! My all-time favorite cereal, but now I only eat it as a snack (3/4 cup serving size). For breakfast I tend toward Cheerios, Kix, or Corn Chex. Weighed or measured, with 1/2 cup skim milk.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    None, cereal isn't good for you....un needed carbs.
    HUH?
    double HUH

This is not new news.......... There are a lot healthier choices for breakfast than cereal....cereal has a lot of carbs, and a lot of times a lot of sugar. Advertising has made cereal look like something "healthy" to be eating when you are trying to loose weight. cereal=processed. And by her saying that she is sick of the cereal she is eating, is implying that she is not only eating it religiously, but too often at that.

Umm - Not ALL cereal is bad. You've just got to be careful to do your research, check labels and not overdo it. But if she can handle it within her nutrition/caloric range, who are you to tell her otherwise?! How do you know that the rest of her day isn't filled with all the other macronutrients she needs? Do you not eat a single processed food throughout your day?

When I do cereal, either special K or kashi go lean for me! (1 serving.. yess I eat one serving and it lasts me and comes out to about 200 calories). Special K is awesome cause it's always light but keeps you full for hours and comes in soo many varieties while Kashi Go Lean you can add fresh fruit or whatever else you'd like.

I personally don't eat a lot of cereal, cause well I strength train and need all the protein I can get.. so I try to stick to eggs or greek yogurt in the morning, but on my rest days I try to mix it up with other breakfast options. I don't believe that there is a one size fits all eating plan. Everyone has a different palate and some people DO need carbs (runners, for example). I don't know why people try to push their ideas about dietary restrictions onto other people. I thought this whole web site is about keeping you aware of what you're eating and allowing you to make the right choices for yourself.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    If I'm going for health...Special K protein plus. 10g of protein in half a cup. If I'm answering the question FAVORITE cereal? Crunchy Nut all the way!! It's like crack.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Kashi Go Lean, Fiber twigs, has a good amount of protein.
  • porter09
    porter09 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    i could live on cereal i get told off as i buy about 3 boxes everytime i go shopping, dont like anything covered sugar eg frosties but i normally mix mine as i can never decide which to have lol
  • LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Fiber 1 Original!! It's delicious with splenda on top. It's only 60 calories for half a cup and has 53% of daily fiber!! Extremely filling and delicious w/ splenda and/or blueberries on top!
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for healthier options you may want to try brands such as Kashi or Nature's Path. They both have a wide variety of cereals which contain less sugar and sodium then the mainstream brands and no additives. They also taste great too.

Seconded. Also Mom's Naturals is good (seen it at Walmart and Teeter, and it's the same brand that does Oat Revolution) and a lot of the store brand cereals are surprisingly healthy. Market Pantry (Target), Food Lion, etc. They often have less sugar and "crap", ESPECIALLY high fructose corn syrup, versus the Kellogg's cereals. Not going to lie, I haven't eaten a Kellogg's cereal in well over a year. Too much junk in it for me.