Immersion Blenders

Options
2»

Replies

• RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Besides soup, I use my immersion blender to whip cream (it's great because I can whip cream in a mug and have an appropriate portion. Before that, I would use my KitchenAid and I always ended up with way more whipped cream than I needed). I also use it to blend my Bullet Proof Coffee in the morning.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Those that use their immersion blenders to make protein shakes (I have tried this yet, I always pull out my big blender)...are you using the immersion blender to blend ice into the shakes, too? :o
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Besides soup, I use my immersion blender to whip cream (it's great because I can whip cream in a mug and have an appropriate portion. Before that, I would use my KitchenAid and I always ended up with way more whipped cream than I needed). I also use it to blend my Bullet Proof Coffee in the morning.

I use mine for bulletproof coffee too, when camping because it takes up so much less space than a blender in the camper would, although sometimes at home too because it's so quick to clean. But I blend in a large bowl and then pour it into the mug. I find that trying to blend in a mug seems to suck the blender down and it doesn't blend so well. How do you do the whipped cream in a mug?
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    As for cooking you can use it to smooth out sauces, make homemade salad dressings, blend soups, whisk eggs, making salsa, and pestos are a few things I use mine for. It is a lightweight blender, so avoid using it for chopping nuts, or other hard things. Also be careful when using it for hot liquids as it can splash up on you, and make sure the vessel you are blending in has high enough sides so you do not make a huge mess.

I attempted to use mine for meringue, and it was an epic fail. Not sure if it was the blender or me. Any insight @mweckler?
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Use a kitchenaid stand mixer with the whip attachment, or an electric hand mixer. With meringues you want to add in as much air as possible which is why you use the whip. Using a blade like an immersion blender will actually deflate any air you have put in. When I bake a cheesecake if too much air gets mixed in I take the immersion blender or food processor and blend it with the blade to remove the air.

I attempted to use mine for meringue, and it was an epic fail. Not sure if it was the blender or me. Any insight @mweckler? [/quote]

• yayamom3
    Options
    Use a kitchenaid stand mixer with the whip attachment, or an electric hand mixer. With meringues you want to add in as much air as possible which is why you use the whip. Using a blade like an immersion blender will actually deflate any air you have put in. When I bake a cheesecake if too much air gets mixed in I take the immersion blender or food processor and blend it with the blade to remove the air.

I attempted to use mine for meringue, and it was an epic fail. Not sure if it was the blender or me. Any insight @mweckler?

[/quote]

Thanks @mweckler. I ended up using my hand mixer--just hate getting it out. I just wanted to make sure it was the mixer and not me!
  • mweckler
    Options
    Not a problem, feel free to ask any and all culinary questions @yayamom3. Maybe I should start a new thread ask a chef lol
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I use mine to mash up vegetables to thicken soup and for recipes, and used to use it to make smoothies before I bought a Nutribullet. It's handy for quick blend jobs where you don't want to haul out then clean your full sized blender.
  • yayamom3
    Options
    Not a problem, feel free to ask any and all culinary questions @yayamom3. Maybe I should start a new thread ask a chef lol

Yes! Please! @mweckler
  • mweckler
    Options
    @yayamom3 where would I start the thread under?
  • yayamom3
    Options
    My first thought is 'Food and Nutrition'. 'Recipes' would probably work too, but it doesn't seem like there's as much traffic in there. I don't know if you've read the 'Ask a Mortician' thread (highly recommend) or not, but it's been a smashing success in 'Chit Chat'. My only concern with Chit Chat is that there is a good chance your thread could get hijacked!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Those that use their immersion blenders to make protein shakes (I have tried this yet, I always pull out my big blender)...are you using the immersion blender to blend ice into the shakes, too? :o

My "shake" is milk, protein powder, cocoa powder...so it's really more of a chocolate milk. When I make smoothies, I use frozen fruit instead of adding ice. I'm sure it would handle ice cubes a few times, but I doubt it would survive much longer than that. The one time I added ice, it took forever and I still had chunks.
  • yayamom3
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @mweckler Yay! I'll have to start brainstorming a list of questions!

Edited to add: I just looked at the thread, and the questions are already flying! It's going to be a great read.
  • mweckler
    Options
    @yayamom3 I need a secretary to keep track lol.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options

I use my immersion blender to crush ice. It works very well. :)