Everyone is an "expert"

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Am I seriously the only person who thought this was about a washed up overrated quarterback?
    Bwahaha! There was this ongoing joke in the bodybuilding community about the Jay Cutlers. How can you tell the two apart? Both are professionals in their "sport" and commanded high pay for their services. The difference:
    Chicago Bear Jay makes $16 million a year. Bodybuilder Jay makes maybe $2 million a year................but half of that is used on his gear.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    This must be true. When I go to one of the trainers at my gym and ask for some guidelines, telling them that I need some help because I have no idea what I'm doing, I just get this blank stare. The only possible reason for this is that they've never heard those words come out of anyone's mouth before.

It's also the gym at my employer, which is free for employees to use, and I'm very likely getting exactly what I pay for. But still.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Experts today are old news tomorrow. Want true expert advice? Think, "ancient history".. Before scientist and experts starting telling everyone that they are doing it wrong and what the 'right way' is. Better yet, look at cultures with the least obesity ratings and health problems who still eat like their ancestors ate. Look at the work they do and how often they work. Look at their quality of life. Those are the "experts". Example.. eating fish for health vs limiting it because of mercury and waste run off. The longest living cultures are still eating their fish!

Oh *kitten*, that reminds me...I forgot to pull my salmon out of the freezer for dinner tonight...crap! I don't have a plan B...seriously, this just reminded me...

jemhh wrote: »
    I feel like I missed a thread? Was something deleted that I didn't see? A thread or a post? I am lost about the hate and roided up bodybuilders.

Yeah, I feel like I'm missing something too...

Well, I don't think you'll be missing the salmon, brah. That's a pretty quick thaw.

• WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Jay Cutler looks like a balloon. Gear will do that to you.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited January 2017
    BHFF wrote: »
    Its just general advice that people give when asked. Then when someone disagrees with them or even has research or IDK a degree in that field, they are still more knowledgeable and give better advice. Everyone for the most part seems to be an expert at health and fitness, diets, bodybuilding, weigh training etc.

Everyone for the most part? That's painting with a broad stroke.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Reaverie wrote: »
    Experts today are old news tomorrow. Want true expert advice? Think, "ancient history".. Before scientist and experts starting telling everyone that they are doing it wrong and what the 'right way' is. Better yet, look at cultures with the least obesity ratings and health problems who still eat like their ancestors ate. Look at the work they do and how often they work. Look at their quality of life. Those are the "experts". Example.. eating fish for health vs limiting it because of mercury and waste run off. The longest living cultures are still eating their fish!

I don't know--the Sumerian diet was kinda carb-heavy. Hard to go keto on barley paste.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Am I seriously the only person who thought this was about a washed up overrated quarterback?

LOL! I said to myself "Since when did Jay Cutler become a bodybuilder!!! He should be focusing on being a better QB"
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    But you think his methods apply to the general populous? Srs question. [/quote]

Yes I do. I think someone who dedicated themselves to fine tuning their bodies beyond what we can conceive can give solid advice in diet and training. They are the best of the best in training and diet.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    But you think his methods apply to the general populous? Srs question.

Yes I do. I think someone who dedicated themselves to fine tuning their bodies beyond what we can conceive can give solid advice in diet and training. They are the best of the best in training and diet.

Well then we will just have to agree to disagree. No hate from me, just disagreeing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member

There are lots of great athletes in every sport. That DOESN'T necessarily mean they would be great coaches or leaders. I mean by that analogy, Ronnie Coleman should be listened to more than Jay because he has more Sandows. Oh and replaced hips too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited January 2017
    ninerbuff wrote: »

There are lots of great athletes in every sport. That DOESN'T necessarily mean they would be great coaches or leaders. I mean by that analogy, Ronnie Coleman should be listened to more than Jay because he has more Sandows. Oh and replaced hips too.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

And unlike Cutler, at least Coleman had some respectable totals.

Really, the whole thing with bodybuilding and powerlifting, once you get to those levels, is that it's 100% individual. Even if you were to ignore the drugs (which you can, because at that level everyone is on), very few of those guys have identical, or even highly similar training and diet.

Taking advice based on a very specific individual and assuming that it's the be-all, end-all of training and nutrition, is a recipe for disappointment and failure.

Besides, if I were gonna listen to any specific person, it would have to be Efferding. I mean come on; who else completely dominates in both PL and BB within a few months of each other? ;)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    I feel like I missed a thread? Was something deleted that I didn't see? A thread or a post? I am lost about the hate and roided up bodybuilders.

whos the roided up BB? Jay Cutler? Yes def on steroids, def knows his body, diet, nutrition, exercise etc better than anyone here thats for sure. No one takes steroids, sits on a couch, eats junk and gets in that kind of shape. His life was dedicated to his body and with that came levels of nutritional awareness most of us will never understand.
    So could he do it for a woman with PCOS? Or a diabetic? If not, then his knowledge is just limited to body building.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Ahaha. Watching this guy argue everyone is like watching someone try to plug holes in a boat as the water is pouring in.

Dude I know several roiders Who train 2-3x a day and consistently hate on my training style because I follow Wendlers programing. They don't "understand" how I can make progress without going to absolute failure and lifting for under an hour a session. These guys if they had their way would be having me do 7 different exercises for chest at 4 sets each all to failure followed by a drop set, then go again later and hit shoulders. Do you honestly think that as a NATURE lifter with average genetics that those training styles would suit my goals and work just as well for me as it does for them? Aside from the fact that their testosterone levels are up to 3000x higher than mine, because you know what difference does that make.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Agree, man. Some of these people will argue nuclear physics with a nuclear physicist.

You made me snort. I think I love you.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    And this is why "bodybuilders" get a bad name.
This discussion has been closed.