Post workout intake

Options
For those working to gain muscle and those who are experienced at gaining muscle, what do you take post workout? Is it supplements? Is it food? Perhaps both. Let's hear I'm looking for some adivce

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Firstly you need to be in a consistent calorie surplus to gain weight.

Secondly meal timing is not crucial but many like to consume protein/carbs post workout when trying to gain weight. Others will come in and post some studies I'm sure.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dinner afterwards, ~1200-1500 calories with ~50g protein.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus here and I eat food. I do not do the meal timing thing its the total calories at the end of the day.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Combo of both...protein shake made with fairlife milk about 30 minutes after then eat my dinner about an hour after that which contains a protein, carb and small amount of fat.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    For those working to gain muscle and those who are experienced at gaining muscle, what do you take post workout? Is it supplements? Is it food? Perhaps both. Let's hear I'm looking for some adivce

Gaining muscle is the result of heavy lifts + calorie surplus of 250-700 calories. I usually eat protein 30-minutes post work out and BCAA's intra-work out. Plus get in that 1 gram protein x 1 lb. bodyweight all day, everyday.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    40-50 grams of protein, 8-10 grams of fat and about 75 grams of carbs post workout works best for me. Those numbers are probably the best for a post workout. Get that meal within a couple of hours at least. As far as the food, It varies for me. I like variety. Sometimes it's protein powder, milk and lucky charms. Other times it eggs, egg whites and hash brown potatoes with some cheese and broccoli. Maybe some bacon. :)
  • justinrye1982
    justinrye1982 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How are you getting your carbs?
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    How are you getting your carbs?

Most people eat them......

In all seriousness, your body does not make muscle gains from what you eat immediately before/after a workout. There are proven scientific studies that show as long as you're in a caloric surplus 'consistently' and eat an adequate meal within 6- hours of training you're good to go!

Don't over complicate it.

• BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't sweat it too much. I usually eat with in an hour, max two hours, post workout. But, that's more about working out making me hungry. Just get your calories in, hit your macros and the rest of it really isn't all that important.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Just my 2 cents on this but I think its best to get a carb (rice, bagel) and some protein in your system. Protein probably from a shake because you want a fast acting protein so something like Whey would be best.
  • BHFF
    Options

I would be skeptical of thinking that your post workout meal can come at any time. That what you feed your body post workout doesnt really matter as long as you get your daily total in. After you train )and you specifically are trying to build muscle as you stated) your body is hurting for nutrients. Your muscles are starving for them and what you feed them is very important. Post workout is when your body is going to capture the most out of the nutrients that you feed them. A lot of the nutrients from the carbs and proteins will end up as waste but at no other time will your body capture as much of them as it will post workout. This is critical for muscle growth and recovery when you are trying to put on muscle as you stated.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Here's quite possibly the best review paper on the topic in my opinion:
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5

I use whey pre-workout and then within about 1 to 2 hours (on average) I consume a mixed macronutrient meal.

It's important to consider context here: Sometimes the pre-workout meal can mitigate the importance of the post-workout meal depending on whether or not amino acids are available in the post workout period.
  • BHFF
    Options
    No one is going to read an article that lengthy. My suggestion to the poster of this thread would be as follows. DONT LISTEN TO ANY OF US! Try different ways for yourself and see what your body reacts to best. That is the only true way you will find out what works best for you. Everybody is different and every body is different. Try 8 week of a post workout meal of carbs and proteins within 1 hour. Then try 8 weeks with a post workout with just protein, then try one with protein prior to training and then again after etc etc etc.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    No one is going to read an article that lengthy. My suggestion to the poster of this thread would be as follows. DONT LISTEN TO ANY OF US! Try different ways for yourself and see what your body reacts to best. That is the only true way you will find out what works best for you. Everybody is different and every body is different. Try 8 week of a post workout meal of carbs and proteins within 1 hour. Then try 8 weeks with a post workout with just protein, then try one with protein prior to training and then again after etc etc etc.

Actually plenty of people like seeing actual research on the topics. If you don't want to read it, that's totally cool though.

On that note though @BHFF what would you recommend as a method for someone evaluating what is best for them?
  • BHFF
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Actually plenty of people like seeing actual research on the topics. If you don't want to read it, that's totally cool though.

On that note though @BHFF what would you recommend as a method for someone evaluating what is best for them?

If you read my entire reply you would have seen my recomendation
  • SideSteel
    Options

Perhaps I need to word my question better:

You are suggesting that the OP experiment to "see what your body reacts to best".

My question to you is this: How do you determine this? What measures are you suggesting someone use to determine what they react best to?

• BHFF
    Options

You are suggesting that the OP experiment to "see what your body reacts to best".

My question to you is this: How do you determine this? What measures are you suggesting someone use to determine what they react best to?

he wants to gain muscle as he stated clearly. That would be his measurement. This isn't rocket science my friend
  • SideSteel
    Options

he wants to gain muscle as he stated clearly. That would be his measurement. This isn't rocket science my friend

I understand what his goals are, I was simply asking you what you would use for someone to see "what works best".

How would you suggest someone assess which protein timing gives them greater muscle gain over 8 weeks?
  • BHFF
    Options

I understand what his goals are, I was simply asking you what you would use for someone to see "what works best".

How would you suggest someone assess which protein timing gives them greater muscle gain over 8 weeks?

I already stated that. I would take the protein and carbs within 1 hour of post workout. See what results you gain from that. Then cut the carbs out, see what your body gains or loses from that. Then try your whey shake prior to and after workout, see how that works. I already stated all of this. You dont need a scale to tell you if its working or not all you need is a mirror. Now I get that you are a "fitness coach" but thats all we know about you. You arent him, Im not him and no matter what we say works for us, doesnt mean it will work for him. Everyones body reacts differently.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter.