A calorie is a calorie ...

Options

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    lizery wrote: »
    In case you're unsure, semantics is 'the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. The two main areas are logical semantics, concerned with matters such as sense and reference and presupposition and implication, and lexical semantics, concerned with the analysis of word meanings and relations between them. The meaning of a word, phrase, or text.'

Whoever flagged it as such, please explain how my comment was abusive.

A lot of people misuse the flag system. Don't sweat it.

Also, not me. :smile:

^^^This.

I'm not sure why but people flag the silliest things.

Yep, pretty common occurance. And not me 3 lol :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    In all fairness to the OP, there are plenty of posts flying around here saying "I pay no attention to macros/micros, i only watch calories", or "only want friends who don't eat clean or healthy" or something like that.
  • GrowingGlow
    GrowingGlow Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great article! I've always been annoyed by the people who truly think a calorie is just a calorie (implying nutrition doesn't matter) probably because it always comes from someone who isn't really as healthy or in shape as they claim to be, and think they know it all. I've never heard someone with an amazing physique say it.
    Dieting is about healthier food choices and staying in your macros of protein, fat, and carbs while aiming for a calorie goal. It's not just about a number on a scale. You could gain muscle mass, loose fat, look a thousand times better, and not loose much weight or even gain it. If you're just a calorie for a calorie kinda person, try eating nothing but sugar and butter for six months. Guaranteed you would look gross, get rotten stinky teeth, and probably die.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    This may or may not be related to the topic, but this has been bugging me lately. Why is "eating healthy" often attached to "dieting and losing weight"? Many people don't give a fly about nutrition until they decide to diet, then suddenly things that were "meh, not too healthy but whatever" suddenly become "if I eat this once I will drop dead", although in many cases health is not the primary driver for their weight loss, which is why this is confusing to me. Is it a case of all or nothing and going all in? Do people feel like they shouldn't bother with nutrition unless they're losing weight? Could this be the reason why there is so much focus on a calorie not being a calorie (in a sense of using calories as a proxy for foods) in the dieting culture but not so much in the general food culture? I wonder if this is how this whole "you can only lose weight on nutritious foods" thing got started, as is often the case with any idea taken to an extreme.

In my mind, nutrition has always been a stand-alone concept and just one modular part of health. Asking if a calorie is a calorie in a nutritional sense sounded like an odd question to me when I first decided to do internet dieting. That's why I gravitated towards flexible dieting and latched onto it as soon as I found it, because it keeps the two concepts separate like they are in my mind. Probably because this is my first time dieting and I did not have a pre-existing dieting baggage.

Using sunscreen and having a good posture are not prerequisites for dieting, so why would nutrition be? A nutritious diet being a good thing is a given. I don't feel this disclaimer needs to be made every time someone asks if they could eat anything they want within their calories, but I make it anyway because people tend to find the most bizarre ways of misunderstanding. I don't like it. Telling a grown up "to eat their vegetables" feels insulting to their intelligence. That's also why I don't like these dish comparisons. They remind me too much of early grade school pictures of "good" and "bad" comparisons.

I feel the issue is not whether or not nutrition is important, and it's shocking how many people interpret it that way, but if foods need to be micromanaged on an individual level vs as a part of the overall diet.

IMO this would be an excellent topic for the debate section, or for input in one of the general sections. It does seem that health for many is connected to weight, and they disregard that only certain things are impacted by weight.

As for the original link and thought from @lizery I personally think it gives a really good visual representation of how calories are only equal in the energy measurement sense. Yes, in terms of a measure of energy a calorie is a calorie. But in all of those calories the form of input for humans is food. Even if the overall nutritional content as far as macros and micros was the same, the satiety, enjoyment, preparation and many other factors come into the picture.

We don't live on units of measure, we live on food. And that is why even when people can fulfill the nutrition needs it becomes very much more individual as far as what foods satisfy any given person and help them stay on track.
  • KatzeDerNacht22
    KatzeDerNacht22 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you think nutrients are so important, eat nothing but broccoli for 6 months vs. someone who eats a diet consisting of the foods they like within their calorie needs.

Eating just one single thing can't possible provide with enough nutrients, your example is flawed there.