Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Don't be scammed. Listen to wise Yoda.
    lxhb0fvtl94v.jpg

Always listen to wise Master Yoda!
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I found in the first month there is a definite adjustment to live with. You will feel hungry at times because your body is not used to this new way of eating. After a couple weeks these go away and i feel full all the time eating 1800 calories and i am dropping weight every week. Also the quality of food... i could have 5 bagels with butter and have the same calories but instead i have loads of fruit and vegetables.
  • cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    cruisin99 wrote: »
    I found in the first month there is a definite adjustment to live with. You will feel hungry at times because your body is not used to this new way of eating. After a couple weeks these go away and i feel full all the time eating 1800 calories and i am dropping weight every week. Also the quality of food... i could have 5 bagels with butter and have the same calories but instead i have loads of fruit and vegetables.

Why would the only choices be a diet of nothing but bagels and butter or an Herbalife diet with loads of fruits and vegetables?

Why not....no Herbalife, a balanced diet of real food that includes loads of fruits and vegetables and the occasional bagel with butter?

The Herbalife is just expensive and unnecessary. You don't need Herbalife at all to successfully lose weight and be healthy.

Yes that is what i was saying, I mentioned the bagels because last year i had that amount on one day. Now i eat good healthy food and am losing weight with less calories than those bagels combined.
  • nickybow86
    nickybow86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So I had my weigh in thisnoring and even after eating all their recommended food and starving I was only down 2oz :/ I'm done !
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    nickybow86 wrote: »
    That's guys . I have tried counting calories , weight watchers , slimming worls ect ... to no avail :( I have an addition to food (like most people on this) so this is a last resort to try help. I'm 5'9 and 215lb ! It's not as easy as " just log your calories" when I start eatting I don't stop !

Well, that's the trick.

Most of us here who are overweight have a poor relationship with food. This app has helped me figure out what reasonable is.

Plus, the success becomes empowering. Food isn't the boss, I am.

You are not going to be on Herbalife for the rest of your life. You have to figure out how to eat reasonably.

My advice is to log everything. Even when you binge. The sticker shock really helped me.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hunger is part of the territory losing weight. You can't feel full and totally satisfied when you are at a calorie deficit. I've been down this road a few times in the past 30 years, like many of you. If I were you I would start by just tracking your calories and never lie to yourself about anything. First rule, EVERYTHING goes on the list. Once you are aware, you'll naturally start eating less. I guess I'm suggesting the long game. A permanent life style. Start at say 1800 or 1600 total calories in a day, look at it weekly and make sure that is your average daily intake. Once you're comfortable with that level of calories, cut a 100 the next week.

Your appetite will adjust if you are patient. The hunger pangs will reduce and you'll become more comfortable feeling hungry and it won't be necessarily a negative feeling.

The problem with programs like Herbalife is that to mass market and make a ton of money you have to make a one size fits all. I am currently able to keep to about 1300 calories a day and I'm making progress. However, I didn't just go straight to 1300. I first just tracked everything and that made me aware and I cut down just knowing what I was eating. Next I cut out most sugar, 20g per day is all. That helps a lot because for me sugar and refined flours act like a drug addiction and make me crave a lot of food. Then I started some moderate exercise, not too taxing. Then I started cutting calories. As I adjusted I'm comfortable with hunger because it is just hunger, not withdrawal symptoms. I also eat right before bed. It is a clean meal of about 35 to 45 g protein and 40 g of carbs. This works for me because if I go to bed hugary I just lie there thinking about cooking and eating and I don't sleep. When you are sleep deprived you eat much more the next day and it is painful. Eating late has not affected my weight loss at all. It's the damn booze, had to give it up because I can't just have one.

This has worked for me but I have to be vigilant because it is so easy to fall back in old ways. Just my experience, hope it helps.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    cruisin99 wrote: »
    That's guys . I have tried counting calories , weight watchers , slimming worls ect ... to no avail :( I have an addition to food (like most people on this) so this is a last resort to try help. I'm 5'9 and 215lb ! It's not as easy as " just log your calories" when I start eatting I don't stop !

the biggest part is eating the right food. If you gorge on vegetables you are not going to stay overweight :)

OP, this can be helpful advice to help you feel full, but it's not a balanced, long-term solution.

I personally eat a lot of vegetables, but I also didn't want to face the rest of my life eating just vegetables.

There is no "wrong" or "right" food, and thinking of it that way isn't helpful.

What there is regarding certain foods concerns the appropriateness of the portion size for the food.

I can eat a pound of broccoli in a sitting, but it's not appropriate to eat a pound of caramels.

Yesterday, I had one caramel. I let it melt slowly in my mouth and savored every moment of eating it. It was 45 calories.

I also ate almost a half a pound of spinach.

Context and portion within your diet of certain foods is important.

OP, you'll learn all of this as you go along.

Nice post and great point. I believe that when you're limiting calories you certainly want all the calories you can get from super healthy foods like lean meats and veggies. I can't say this is true, but true for me at least. I get less hunger and I can tolerate the hunger when I'm eating healthy foods. Processed foods seem to make me more hungry and it's more of a craving to satisfy and addiction over just eating because you need food.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 10 and I am 6lb down but I'm so *kitten* hungry I can't take it !! I don't want to give up already but I can't cope much longer !! Any tips for me please ?

Please eat dinner. :(
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've tried Herbalife, did it for 2 days and realised how awful it was and threw it out. Real food is always going to be better. Please don't put yourself through being miserable to lose weight. If you've genuinely tried everything and nothing has helped then see your Doctor. Herbalife is NOT the way forward.
  • nickybow86
    nickybow86 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ye guys are awesome :* I am planning on finishing out the month on herbalife and getting myself into an eating routine ( I use to skip breakfast and not eat until evening). I think I am being a little hard on myself ! I will take all of yer advice <3
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

And when you reach the end of your rope on herbalife, you'll be right back where you started. I was 5'9" and 275 at one point. I was feeling so bad then, I know I considered food one of my very few joys. You're not addicted to anything- you just have some behaviors around food that need to be modified. We all do. Telling yourself that you're helpless is not the way to go.

Just enter your stats and pick no more than a 1.5 lb/week goal. Eat that, using actual food. I suspect that along with your shakes, you are probably undereating. You'll need to eat for the rest of your life... might as well learn how to do it now. :)
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Ye guys are awesome :* I am planning on finishing out the month on herbalife and getting myself into an eating routine ( I use to skip breakfast and not eat until evening). I think I am being a little hard on myself ! I will take all of yer advice <3

There is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. Some of us do that deliberately, so our afternoon and evening meals/snacks can have more calories. Meal timing is also not important - what matters is calorie deficit. During the weekdays especially, I skip breakfast and then have a 500 calorie lunch. For the same calories, I could have a 200 calorie breakfast and a 300 calorie lunch, but I'm not really satisfied at those numbers. I don't mind feeling honestly hungry (as opposed to a sort of rabid munchies level of hungry) for a few hours, knowing that lunch will be really satisfying.