Bad tasting, healthy food.

Options

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Lots of restaurant food tastes good IMO because it has lots of salt, fat, sugar and someone else cooked it.
    same my own healthy food tastes much better
    And this is why people should eat what they like and not what is considered healthy. I love tuna and wouldn't give it up but I also love burgers, fries, and chocolate.

I just want to expand on my previous replies by commenting these: I struggled A LOT with "healthy" food which I believed to be (had to be) the opposite of tasty food. And I thought of myself as a lousy cook. No wonder, I was so afraid of salt, fat and sugar, so I avoided it as much as possible (and of course I took it to the extreme). At the same time, I felt I could relax when someone else had made the food, like it was out of my hands. (Not really distorted thoughts, but pretty in denial.)

Worry took away so much of my enjoyment. The stress of never feeling "good enough" lead me (paradoxically, but not at all unusual) to overeat.

Then (around the time I discovered MFP) I just decided that I wasn't going to be afraid of food anymore. It was difficult. I had been afraid of food for more than twenty years. But all of a sudden, food started to taste amazing. And cooking was fun. And easy. I started to prefer my own food. And my food budget plummeted because I stopped buying and throwing away "good intention" food. Instead, I bought meat and produce I had plans for, and cooked and ate. Everything tasted great. I intentionally eat a lot more fat. But I also eat a lot more vegetables and whole grains.

Oh, and I lost 50 pounds and have kept them off for more than two years now.

Interesting thoughts. I've never been afraid of food personally.
    The food I cook also is usually better tasting and cheaper than a restaurant. I like to cook. I plan dinners for the whole month. I prepare almost all meals for my family except 1 meal a week/month. We couldn't afford to eat out more often.
    Why bother eating out then? Someone else cooking that 1 meal makes it much more appealing because I did no work, I have no clean up. It is more of an event to eat someone else's cooking. I know I can fit the food into my goal so I don't feel concerned about eating a tasty burger from a restaurant versus a burger I cook. I have no health issues that require me to strictly limit fat, sugar or sodium.
    I don't view foods as bad or junk unless they are gross to me. I think rice cakes are junky pieces of styrofoam. I think a lot of reduced fat or fat free products are not good tasting. I have a grudge against margarine. I'd mostly rather choose foods that are naturally low fat or eat smaller portions.
    If someone doesn't choose to eat out or eat packaged foods they may or may not be eating healthier than someone eating out often. Depends on their whole diet choices and individual health issues.
    As you say, we don't need to fear food to lose weight.
  • turtledan
    turtledan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's input. I'm glad to hear some of you can eat what I'm trying to avoid and still lose weight. That will not work for me. If I eat fast food it will open the flood gates and I will definitely not be on track. It has happened to me in the past and took me almost a year to get back on.
  • mechwd
    mechwd Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You will lose weight if you stay under your calories, but that's only part of being healthy. Your body still needs vitamins and nutrients that fast food is really void of in decent quantities. So while you can loose weight off of eating fast food and staying under your calories, you are starving you body of what it needs to really be healthy.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't dis on "sometimes" foods (as I tell my kid)!
    Warm chocolate chip cookies are are REASON TO LIVE as far as I'm concerned!

I don't necessarily want to eat lentil soup every lunch, as good as it is for me. But neither should I eat chocolate chip cookies every lunch, too.

I've found that if I do my 45 minutes of Zumba I really seem to be able to eat just about anything I really want to (within sanity), and I've found that to be a pretty good motivator for me. Not that I actually eat crazy those days but it's liberating to know that I could. :) I know what others say about eating back calories but I've found that it's liberating for me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    cruisin99 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I must say I'm shocked at the number of people who don't want to eat healthy and eat better food, they just want to lose weight :(

Why is that shocking?

I went to my Dr about the time I hit my peak weight and there were a few issues.

So I focused on losing weight ... and did.

4 months later, I returned to my Dr who reran the tests. Those issues were resolved.

How did I lose the weight? I ate fewer calories than I burned. How did I manage that? Well, I sought out low calorie but filling foods ... like lots of veggies. But of course I didn't give up things like pizza! :)
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I must say I'm shocked at the number of people who don't want to eat healthy and eat better food, they just want to lose weight :(

Why is that shocking?

I went to my Dr about the time I hit my peak weight and there were a few issues.

So I focused on losing weight ... and did.

4 months later, I returned to my Dr who reran the tests. Those issues were resolved.

How did I lose the weight? I ate fewer calories than I burned. How did I manage that? Well, I sought out low calorie but filling foods ... like lots of veggies. But of course I didn't give up things like pizza! :)

It's shocking to me because i just assumed most people lose weight because of health reasons or concerns but i guess it is just my old age showing here! :)

Why would you think this?

I was thin for years and ate an almost neurotically healthy diet, but was extremely unhealthy in other ways.

Then I was fat yet continued eating healthfully (well, except for the major problem of overeating). I knew vaguely that of course it wasn't good for my health, but my lifestyle was in other ways less unhealthy than it had been so I figured I would get it together eventually. Plus, I never had any health issues related to weight -- my doctor mentioned it was a risk factor, of course, but my tests were always good.

Eventually I got disgusted with how I looked in a photo and with the clothing options available to me and was just generally unhappy with my appearance and wanted to get back into running and biking, so decided to lose.

If I'd waited 'til the health thing was enough to motivate me, I'd have put it off much longer. Obviously if someone has bad tests, that's more motivating, but often just losing weight improves health a lot (and my healthy diet didn't make being fat okay for my health).

Oh, and I've been losing more or planning to lose more despite being well within a healthy weight for a good bit of my time here, as are many others, so probably that's not really for "health" either. (For me it's because of wanting to run faster and be more fit for athletic stuff, and because of what I think looks good for me, and plus I like vintage clothes.)

I'll chime in on this note. I was 210 pounds eating quite the healthy diet.

I started losing weight for health reasons, and lost enough weight in 2014 (70 pounds) to take care of that issue.

Since then? It's been all about vanity. I lost 24 additional pounds last year, and I'm looking to drop some vanity weight this year and improve my body composition because I enjoy the idea of being able to consider myself lean for my age.

The interesting thing is that since I have starting to lose weight, become less restrictive in my food choices. Things still need to taste good, but if I want french fries or candy or cookies on occasion, I have them.

I still vastly prefer my own cooking, and I've been a scratch cook since I was ten years old. Tonight is stir fry night. I'm having cottage cheese with vegetables for breakfast. Then I'm going to have popcorn with a protein shake for a big snack and possibly a gluten-free poptart since it's my maintenance day. If there are any calories left, I might even have some chocolate.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I do oven fried chicken nuggets sometimes. They are so much better than the chicken nuggets that you get at a fast food restaurant.

When I want egg rolls I use up leftovers and bake those in the oven.

Occasionally I do burgers on some type of really good bread. If I want that fast food feel I will eat some type of chip with it.

All of the fast foods that you like can be made at home...healthier and with less calories. More work perhaps but there is always a trade off.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    turtledan wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone's input. I'm glad to hear some of you can eat what I'm trying to avoid and still lose weight. That will not work for me. If I eat fast food it will open the flood gates and I will definitely not be on track. It has happened to me in the past and took me almost a year to get back on.

As Amusedmonkey said, it's helpful to think of the long term here. Fast food isn't necessary (I can't eat it since I have celiac disease, and even the places that would accommodate me hold no interest me because I find the quality of them lacking), and eliminating potential trigger foods is a valid strategy.

But eliminating everything isn't often necessary. There's usually a middle ground to be found as you go along wherein you can find that there are foods you find you can moderate.

Also, as lemurcat said, it's not as if you never have to eat a hamburger again. You can make your own at home. You can buy an air fryer and make fried chicken. You can slice a potato into wedges and toss it with a little oil and roast it instead of having french fries. These are quite tasty substitutions.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    turtledan wrote: »

I hear you and I begrudgingly accept that there are certain foods that are usually not worth the calorie bomb and subsequent flood-gate opening for me, but I refuse to live my life without some of my faves so it's been worth investing some effort into making "copy cat" versions of the foods I love. I make a breakfast sandwich now that keeps me from wanting to go through a drive-thru. On the rare occasion when I have something on the road I realize I'm getting way less food than when I make it at home and with variable freshness. A teeny little sandwhich for 460 calories when I make a bigger one for about 300. Bah. You get way more bang for your buck if you make it yourself. If you are just a little bit creative you can find a way to make something you love at home. It's worth the effort.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I eat healthy foods every day and none of it tastes bad or makes me miss heavy greasy overly salty fast food. I know how to pick really yummy foods that are healthy but also have good flavor. I'm good at cooking. In fact when I do occasionally have fried or heavy fast foods it leaves a gross aftertaste in my mouth and usually makes me feel physically ill or have digestive issues.

Keep going you'll get there too. The taste buds eventually adjust and you will learn how to make that healthy food even more delicious than your old fast food/comfort food favorites.
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    The golden ratio for desirable food is 1:1 fat:sugar. They did a study on it with Krispy Kremes-why are the ordinary normal glazed ones a heap more popular than the chocolate ones or fancier ones?

-because the ratio of fat to sugar in the glazed ones is 1:1 where as the fancier ones have a different ratio and are therefore less desirable to our tastebuds and visual perception.

Quite interesting really.

Well done on making healthy changes! I miss pizza like proper fat cheesy pizza the most x
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    BiomedDent wrote: »
    The golden ratio for desirable food is 1:1 fat:sugar. They did a study on it with Krispy Kremes-why are the ordinary normal glazed ones a heap more popular than the chocolate ones or fancier ones?

-because the ratio of fat to sugar in the glazed ones is 1:1 where as the fancier ones have a different ratio and are therefore less desirable to our tastebuds and visual perception.

Well done on making healthy changes! I miss pizza like proper fat cheesy pizza the most x

I eat the regular glazed ones because those are the ones they give out free :p
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Neato. That means more fancy, chocolate donuts for me!

I eat the regular glazed ones because those are the ones they give out free :p

Not gonna lie-I find Krispy Kreme revolting lol