Bad tasting, healthy food.

Options

Replies

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Taste chances over time. I used to love a fair few of those highly processed junk foods - A few times I tried them again Having really looked forward to them. However they did not taste at all as I remembered, they tasted lousy, chemical and incredibly sweet and salty.
    So either my memory was wrongor my taste changed - I think it was a little of both

i must admit mcdonalds doesnt taste as good as it used to. but then i guess i used to eat so mindlessly i prob couldnt taste what i was eating.
    Now and then i do go back and try foods that i hated but i still hate them. i.e olives, avocados, celery, cottage cheese etc.

I absolutely hate avocados. They are so popular right now and it seems everyone loves them.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Taste chances over time. I used to love a fair few of those highly processed junk foods - A few times I tried them again Having really looked forward to them. However they did not taste at all as I remembered, they tasted lousy, chemical and incredibly sweet and salty.
    So either my memory was wrongor my taste changed - I think it was a little of both

i must admit mcdonalds doesnt taste as good as it used to. but then i guess i used to eat so mindlessly i prob couldnt taste what i was eating.
    Now and then i do go back and try foods that i hated but i still hate them. i.e olives, avocados, celery, cottage cheese etc.

I absolutely hate avocados. They are so popular right now and it seems everyone loves them.

I like them but just about never eat them alone. A recipe I just made calls for avocado slices on top of the soup just prior to serving. Are you trying to just eat plain avocados?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    turtledan wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone's input. I'm glad to hear some of you can eat what I'm trying to avoid and still lose weight. That will not work for me. If I eat fast food it will open the flood gates and I will definitely not be on track. It has happened to me in the past and took me almost a year to get back on.

That stumble could actually be part of the learning process. Success isn't always a straight line!
  • sarajenivieve
    sarajenivieve Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    healthy and yummy recipe soures: forks over knives cookbook, thug kitchen (comfort foods), oh she glows, onegreenplanet.org (see recipe monster)
    I used to hate salad but then i tried a view that were like wow this is good! its all trial and error.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    cruisin99 wrote: »
    I must say I'm shocked at the number of people who don't want to eat healthy and eat better food, they just want to lose weight :(

You do you.

And again, no one has been advocating eating so-called "junk" food for every meal and snack. My dietitian recommends consuming all foods on moderation... and I trust her educated advice.

• cruisin99
    cruisin99 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I must say I'm shocked at the number of people who don't want to eat healthy and eat better food, they just want to lose weight :(

Why shocked each to their own
    Also you find most people are saying they eat fast food but in moderation what's wrong with that

Also you find most people are saying they eat fast food but in moderation what's wrong with that
    You do you.

And again, no one has been advocating eating so-called "junk" food for every meal and snack. My dietitian recommends consuming all foods on moderation... and I trust her educated advice.

Why eat it at all when you can cook the same thing with better flavour and a lot more healthier for you?
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I can make burgers for my family for less than it costs to get value meal Whoppers for everyone. Real, high-quality meat, homemade buns (or decent store-brand), thin slices of real cheese, spicy mustard, freshly sliced onions. IT actually takes less time to make them than it does to drive from my house to the nearest Burger King and order.

Yeah, they've got as many calories in them as a Whopper does, but when we don't get sodas and we have them with a small serving of potato chips and a side of coleslaw, the meal fits my calorie goals and is well within my definition of "a healthy meal."

We're on a tight food budget that means we can't afford to eat out. I'm cooking almost every meal we make, and the way that's tolerable to me is I make the food I want to eat. If I can have good, tasty food at home, I don't miss eating out -- and I've learned that I can make *better* stuff than almost any of our old restaurant favorites.
    (When you learn how little some of those favorites cost to make, then you start getting cranky about spending that much on a meal that you can make better at home).

This idea that you have to eat special foods to lose weight -- and the idea that people who don't need to lose weight don't eat those foods and would not want to eat those foods -- seems really unrealistic to me. People will post about what to do about feeding the rest of the family while they're on their diet, and I ask "if a food really is that unhealthy, why are your kids eating it? And if its okay for your kids, why is it not okay for you?" Model a life of eating good food in moderate portions and your whole family will be better off.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    edited January 2017
    Options

You do you.

Why eat it at all when you can cook the same thing with better flavour and a lot more healthier for you?

Can we all, really, though? You're making a blanket statement about everyone's ability to cook better tasting meals than what we purchased from a restaurant. Also if you eliminate every single thing we've all bought from restaurants, that would be a very limited diet, IMO.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

They've always been popular in my neck of the woods...
  • cruisin99
    Options

Convenience and many like the taste. Some takeout has great macros, too. Like I said, you do you. What others eat is not of any concern to you, is it?

No it's not just like when i make a comment on fast food it is no concern to you...
  • cerise_noir
    Options

Convenience and many like the taste. Some takeout has great macros, too. Like I said, you do you. What others eat is not of any concern to you, is it?

No it's not just like when i make a comment on fast food it is no concern to you...

You came in here questioning and judging everyone else's habits. I wasn't the only one to comment on it.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I personally have found the longer I am in that healthy eating habit, the worse those bad foods taste. Or, it makes me feel so sick afterwards I cannot stomach it. Those cravings are going to be there, at the least for a little while - and there is nothing wrong with on occasion giving in. It's all the matter of how much and how frequently you give in. For me, I am setting myself up for failure if I completely deny it. Just be smart about it. You've got this! :)
  • cruisin99
    Options

You came in here questioning and judging everyone else's habits. I wasn't the only one to comment on it.

Wow you are still going on about this... lol
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

So you never eat out anywhere?

What about convenience foods out of the frozen section? Stouffers makes some really good ones...at least the used to. I can't have them because of the sodium but there are times that it would be nice to have a night off from kitchen duty.

This. Many of today's convenience foods are tasty and while I enjoy cooking, I don't always have time to prepare meals from scratch. Even things like frozen skillet meals can be a great quick dinner - I add salad and some garlic bread, maybe extra vegetables or precooked chicken breast and it's done in 10 minutes.

Back to the OP I get the impression that maybe you don't cook a lot, there are a lot of healthy convenience foods out there like the skillet meal I just described. PF Changs has a line of them available in my grocery store and even sells frozen pouches of rice to go with them. The meal would be about 500-600 cals and considerably less than getting it at the restaurant.
  • cruisin99
    Options

What about convenience foods out of the frozen section? Stouffers makes some really good ones...at least the used to. I can't have them because of the sodium but there are times that it would be nice to have a night off from kitchen duty.

Very little now, we maybe go out with a group every second month. My wife works in a higher end restaurant kitchen and the last thing she really wants is to spend time off in a restaurant. Which is fine by me we have a large kitchen at home and entertain friends frequently instead. We don't buy any convenience foods when we shop.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I like them but just about never eat them alone. A recipe I just made calls for avocado slices on top of the soup just prior to serving. Are you trying to just eat plain avocados?

I don't like it even with other things
  • cerise_noir
    Options

This.