Vinger and water diet

Options
124»

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    AFGP11 wrote: »
    I don't take that daily or as some kind of weight loss supplement, but when I have heartburn I mix a tablespoon or two of organic ACV and some water and take that to help. It works better than antacids.

That's awesome it worked for your heartburn. I tried it while trying to wean myself off of Prilosec. I thought I was going to die. I do think it may have been a combination of rebound acidity and the vinegar. I have finally gotten off all heartburn meds. Yahoo!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Where are all these vinegar ideas coming from??

My grandmother believed in apple cider vinegar plus honey as a "natural medicine" back in the 1950s. This notion has been around a long time. Since the benefit is supposed to come from the bacteria in the vinegar, drinking pasteurized vinegar like you buy in the store isn't likely to help even if you believe it's a "natural medicine". I never remember grandma talking about weight loss in connection with vinegar consumption, though.

In parts of Italy, they sip high-end vinegars as aperitifs or tonics because they believe they're good for the digestion. If I'm having problems with my intestinal fauna, I'd rather pop a probiotic whose benefits are backed by research rather than drink something that may do nothing more than erode the enamel on my teeth. But that's just me. :D
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Make sure your probiotic is designed to survive your stomach acid so it can get to the small intestine where the bacteria is useful

Thank you for saying this. I'm very interested in yoghurt (make it at home) and the idea that the cultures, which are so similar to gut flora, can help to balance the gut flora, is beguiling - however I'm now sceptical that this actually works, because I can't see those delicate bugs surviving the hell that is stomach acid. Probiotic capsules, on the other hand, are designed to make it through that.

The idea that vinegar could somehow make it to the gut unchanged seems very unlikely to me. It's one drop of acid in an ocean when it hits the stomach, and ph is very tightly controlled there.
  • Manda5352
    Manda5352 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone