1/3 3.25 miles
    1/13 6 miles

I see you are in New Market. You are not far from me and @skippygirlsmom
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1/1 - Still wasn't feeling up to it.
    1/2 - Bodypump, the 2.25 miles on the 'mill
    1/3 - 4.5 miles on the treadmill (Trek class). That'll clean your lungs out.
    1/4 - Stayed in bed. Lingering cold + a bratty greyhound = not enough sleep.
    1/5 - Bodypump, then 2.25 treadmill miles.
    1/6 - 4.2 'mill miles. -3° F is way below my comfort level to run outside
    1/7 - Bodypump, then 2.25 treadmill miles.
    1/8-1/13 - Sick, sick, sick.
    1/14 - 3.4 'mill miles, then a quick upper body weight session.
    1/15 - Church / family day.
    1/16 - Too icy to run, too icy to drive. Barely left house.
    1/17 - 4.8 miles on the treadmill (Trek class). Fingers crossed my illness is done.

exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for January
    1/1 REST DAY
    1/2 9 miles - 9
    1/3 10 miles - 19
    1/4 5 miles - 24
    1/5 10 miles - 34
    1/6 3.1 - 37.1 <<< Treadmill
    1/7 15 miles - 52.1
    1/8 REST DAY
    1/9 9.5 miles - 61.6
    1/10 10 miles - 71.6
    1/11 5 miles - 76.6
    1/12 10.15 miles - 86.75
    1/13 5.25 miles - 92
    1/14 16 miles - 108
    1/15 REST DAY
    1/16 8.25 miles - 116.25
    1/17 7.35 miles - 123.6

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12 << 1:35:55 2 in AG & 25 OA
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10 << 2:44:41
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half - 1/21
    Kentucky Derby Marathon - 4/29

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7- I agree with you that I am probably doing most of my training runs faster than I should. I have studied the Daniel's tables using both my marathon pace and my half marathon pace (which is more recent and ends up giving me faster training paces across the board). My easy runs are within the McMillan training guidelines, although on the faster end of the range. They are definitely conversational though. My tempo runs, at least my recent ones which I have slowed down, are a good bit slower than the McMillan table suggests, which is why this whole dilemma cropped up in the first place. I think my confusion/hesitation stems from the fact that I am trying to train to run a marathon, not based on my ability, but based on making it easy and comfortable. It's almost like I have gone full circle and am back to training for my first marathon when I was only worried about running the distance. Intuitively, I think I will be okay if I just practice running in my comfort zone. But now that I have knowledge and experience behind me, it just leave me second guessing everything I am doing.

BTW, awesome pics from your run and great tip on the pickle juice!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Morning gang!

exercise.png

1/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    2/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    3/1: 3.52 kms (Wk1 D1 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 10 mins Squat Challenge + 5 mins Tabata HIIT
    4/1: 3.54 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K) + 30 mins yoga + 7 mins HIIT
    5/1: 3.54 kms (Wk1 D2 C25K – repeat) + 30 mins yoga + 14 mins HIIT
    6/1: 3.63 kms (Wk1 D3 C25K) + 30 mins yoga
    7/1: Walked 16K+ steps + 4 hours of cleaning (post paint job)
    8/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    9/1: Walked 16K+ steps + 2.5 hours of cleaning (post paint job) - Had to fast for a medical app't in the morning, so no usual workout
    10/1: 3.55 kms (Wk2 D1 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 1 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    11/1: 3.63 kms (Wk2 D2 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 2 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    12/1: 3.60 kms (Wk2 D2 C25K – repeat) + Strength Training (Day 3 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
    13/1: 3.70 kms (Wk2 D3 C25K) + Fit Test via FitStar (Day 4 of 30 Day Challenge is Rest) + 30 mins yoga
    14/1: Walked 15K+ steps
    15/1: Walked 11K+ steps
    16/1: Walked 13K+ steps
    17/1: 3.64 kms (Wk3 D1 C25K) + Strength Training (Day 5 of 30 Day Challenge) + 30 mins yoga
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Another 4.2 on 1/15 & 1/16. That puts my Jan. total at 51.3/90.

I sorta can't believe it. As a newbie runner, I'm impressing the hell out of myself! Hoping for another 4 mi. later today.
    Have a great day, all! :)
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I need to go back and catch up on all the posts. Didn't run yesterday (track meet) or today because I only slept like 2 hours last night. I just couldn't sleep.

I'm taking Skip to the orthopedic center tomorrow morning. I've never had a stress fracture or shin splints so we are not sure what she is feeling. Friday she said her ankles felt tight in the front, I thought it was strange, but in the interest of TMI she is getting to her TOM so I thought some water being held. Saturday we went out to run and she couldn't make a mile without having to stop. Within a couples of miles she had stopped a few times and was crying they hurt so bad. She did some stretching and tried again, still too much pain. She went home iced and rested. Sunday she said both were much better, just one was "tight". We get to her meet on Monday, she went outside and did about a mile or so warm up (to run a mile race LOL) and said she was fine. By about 600m into the 1600m I could see she was in pain and limping to run. I got as close to the track as I could and yelled at her to stop, I'm not a fan of watching my kid make an injury worse. She ignored me and continued. She finished and when I could get where I could talk to her she was crying (I think more about her time) but was saying the pain was unbearable while she was running. She went to the trainer there and she said she thought shin splints or tendinitis. She wanted to run the 800m, but her coach pulled her out not wanting to make things worse. Today she is still in pain.

I've talked to her school trainer and tomorrow she has an appt first thing for xrays, he wants to make sure she doesn't have a stress fracture. I guess what I'm asking for those of who you have suffered with shin splints or stress fractures, does that sound like the type of pain you have? Either way she is done with indoor as far as I'm concerned. I won't let her run until she is healed enough not to have any type of relapse.

Thanks

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I hope that the orthopedic center will have a diagnosis and solution for your girl. :cry:
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    January goal: 100 miles
    1/1: 3.6 miles (m)
    1/2: Downpour Day
    1/3: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/4: 4 miles (m)
    1/5: 5 miles (m)
    1/6: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/7: 4 miles (m)
    1/8: 6 miles (m)
    1/9: Rest Day
    1/10: 4.15 miles (m)
    1/11: Unplanned Rest
    1/12: 3.75 miles (m)
    1/13: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/14: 4.5 miles (m)
    1/15: 3 miles (m -.5)
    1/16: Rest Day
    1/17: 4 miles (m)

My Total/January: 55.5 miles
    Mike's Total: 55 miles

Boy, have I missed lots of posts. Sunday's run was supposed to be long but I just felt gross and sluggish and myhip was hurting something fierce so I only managed 3 miles and Mike only made it about 2 and a half before he started walking. We took a day off yesterday and that seems to have been a good idea. We went out this morning in the rain with Fergus and both of us were feeling a lot better. I actually feel so much better that I am thinking about taking a second run this evening instead of my usual walk. I guess we will see how I feel at the end of the day and then make that decision.

@skippygirlsmom It has been a long time since I have had shin splints, but I do remember feeling a tightness/tension in that same area in the front of the ankles. I'm sorry she is having to go through this and I hope it is not anything too severe.

@RespectTheKitty I am sorry you have hit such a rough patch. I hope things are looking up for you soon.

@OSUbuckeye906 I am so glad to hear that you are ok after your accident!

@Orphia Groovy kangaroos!

@BeeerRunner I always pop my blisters, too. They just feel so much better once the pressure is relieved.

@7lenny7 I loved the pickle juice story. I haven't had to deal with cramps much lately. I used to get them fairly regularly though and I have been in that same situation with both inner thighs and the abs cramped up at the same time. If only I had known about the pickle juice! I pretty much hobbled around and drank a bunch of Gatorade until they subsided. It was not fun and I will probably never forget it. I will have to remember the pickle juice for the future as I start building more distance since I am sure I will be needing it at some point.

Have a fabulous rest of the day!

exercise.png
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

01/01/17 - 5 miles
    01/02/17 - 5 miles
    01/03/17 - 3 miles

01/05/17 - 6 miles

01/07/17 - 10 miles
    01/08/17 - 3.25 miles

01/10/17 - 6 miles
    01/11/17 - 5.5 miles
    01/12/17 - 3.25 miles
    01/13/17 - 6.5 miles
    01/14/17 - 5 miles
    01/15/17 - 4 miles

01/17/17 - 5 miles
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    January Running Challenge:

1/1: 19 miles
    1/2: 5 miles
    1/3: BodyPump and 30 minutes of stair stepper
    1/4: 5.8 miles of a 10 mile planned run. Cut short due to knee pain
    1/5 Unplanned rest day
    1/6 2.2 mile walk, 30 minutes elliptical, Strength: upper body and core
    1/7 8.2 miles
    1/8 20 miles
    1/9 45 minutes light strength and 45 minute walk
    1/10 15 minutes of stationary bike, 20 minutes of Elliptical, 45 minutes strength
    1/11 57 minutes of walking (3.5 miles), 52 minutes of strength
    1/12 48 minutes of stationary bike, 30 minutes of strength
    1/13 Planned rest day
    1/14 6 mile run, knee felt so much better
    1/15 12 mile run
    1/16 5 mile run

Goal: 81 of 170

Ok...popped the blister after my run last night. It didn't hurt at all. What I thought was part of the blister on the left side of my big right toe turned out to be a callous. Yeah...my feet are pretty gross right now. If I went to get a pedicure, I'm sure my feet would be the talk of the salon but not in a good way. In a very bad embarrassing way!! Lol!!

Btw, for those that commented, thank you for the blister advice!!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Date.......Distance

January 1 - 12.1 km
    January 2 - 7.0 km
    January 3 - 12.9+5.3 km
    January 4 - 11.5 km
    January 5 - 7.0 km
    January 6 - 3.8 km
    January 7 - 9.45 km
    January 8 - 9.8+6.0 km
    January 9 - 5.2 km
    January 10- 10.0+6.0 km
    January 11- 8.0 km
    January 12- 7.0 km
    January 13- 7.0+7.4 km
    January 14- 10.0 km
    January 15- 13.1+6.1
    January 16- 6.0 km
    January 18- 10.0 km

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    January milege
    1---0.50 walk
    2---3.47 w
    4---5.37
    6---1.39
    8---1.0
    9,10 ---nada
    11--- swam
    12-15--- nada (work gets in the way)
    16---2.93
    17---3.79 (run 2min, walk 3)

14.48/30 running miles
    3.97 walking miles

Hopefully? races:
    March 19th 2017 RNR Half Dallas, TX
    March 26th 2017 A2A 5k Ardmore, OK
    April 30th 2017 OKC Memorial Marathon, Half

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom I have medial shin splints on my left only. It's more shin pain not ankle. It's right about middle way from ankle to knee, just against the shin bone (inside). Alex had ankle pain from running on the large gravel. It's was outside ankle. Rest, ice and a boot for a few weeks then TM only. Good luck. I hope it heals quickly whatever it is
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on my plan, but right now it seems to be serving me really well. I have made some adjustments, however. For example, I know it breaks the 25-33% rule for long runs that @Stoshew71 and others swear by so, to make that work, I'm taking into account the time spent cross-training as per the plan and working it so that the long run works out to be about 30% of the time spent 'training' each week. I'm also cutting back the cut-back weeks by another 20% ish. As I'm injury-prone, these were the suggestion from my old PT, so I'm hoping it works for me.

I've also bumped the 18miler training run up to a 20mile, because it matched perfectly with a 20mile race my running club are putting in a team for. I figured another couple of miles couldn't hurt, as long as I cutback the week after (which was on my plan anyway) but the psychological benefits of running two 20 milers in training rather than one, I think, will be extremely beneficial to me. Mainly because I'm still terrified :grimace:
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on my plan, but right now it seems to be serving me really well. I have made some adjustments, however. For example, I know it breaks the 25-33% rule for long runs that @Stoshew71 and others swear by so, to make that work, I'm taking into account the time spent cross-training as per the plan and working it so that the long run works out to be about 30% of the time spent 'training' each week. I'm also cutting back the cut-back weeks by another 20% ish. As I'm injury-prone, these were the suggestion from my old PT, so I'm hoping it works for me.

I've also bumped the 18miler training run up to a 20mile, because it matched perfectly with a 20mile race my running club are putting in a team for. I figured another couple of miles couldn't hurt, as long as I cutback the week after (which was on my plan anyway) but the psychological benefits of running two 20 milers in training rather than one, I think, will be extremely beneficial to me. Mainly because I'm still terrified :grimace:

That sounds good! Having another 20 miler would be a big confidence booster I'm thinking.

I started my plan 2 weeks early, so I'm hoping, when I get 18 or so weeks in, I'll be able to slip in an additional long run week with a...GASP...22 miler....and an additional taper week, since my plan only has a 2 week taper...
  • OSUbuckeye906
    OSUbuckeye906 Posts: 315 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I need to go back and catch up on all the posts. Didn't run yesterday (track meet) or today because I only slept like 2 hours last night. I just couldn't sleep.

I'm taking Skip to the orthopedic center tomorrow morning. I've never had a stress fracture or shin splints so we are not sure what she is feeling. Friday she said her ankles felt tight in the front, I thought it was strange, but in the interest of TMI she is getting to her TOM so I thought some water being held. Saturday we went out to run and she couldn't make a mile without having to stop. Within a couples of miles she had stopped a few times and was crying they hurt so bad. She did some stretching and tried again, still too much pain. She went home iced and rested. Sunday she said both were much better, just one was "tight". We get to her meet on Monday, she went outside and did about a mile or so warm up (to run a mile race LOL) and said she was fine. By about 600m into the 1600m I could see she was in pain and limping to run. I got as close to the track as I could and yelled at her to stop, I'm not a fan of watching my kid make an injury worse. She ignored me and continued. She finished and when I could get where I could talk to her she was crying (I think more about her time) but was saying the pain was unbearable while she was running. She went to the trainer there and she said she thought shin splints or tendinitis. She wanted to run the 800m, but her coach pulled her out not wanting to make things worse. Today she is still in pain.

I've talked to her school trainer and tomorrow she has an appt first thing for xrays, he wants to make sure she doesn't have a stress fracture. I guess what I'm asking for those of who you have suffered with shin splints or stress fractures, does that sound like the type of pain you have? Either way she is done with indoor as far as I'm concerned. I won't let her run until she is healed enough not to have any type of relapse.

Thanks

I think we all know that I've had experience with shin stress fractures, but it seems to me like her pain came on more suddenly than it normally does with stress fractures unless she's had some pain she's been ignoring. Also, I don't think it's that common to get stress fractures in both legs at the same time. One better way to tell is to run your finger along the area, pressing slightly. If she can pinpoint an exact spot that's painful when you press on it, that's more indicative of a stress fracture. It's been awhile since I've had shin splints, so I'm not sure if it's that or something else. Hoping for the best outcome for Skip!