Measure EVERYTHING. Pam spray: 3 grams = 26 calories

Options
So you know how the Pam cooking spray says it's zero calories? That's for 1/4 second and 0.25g, which rounds down to zero.
This is not what happens in my house.
In my house, actual use means I cover a 10inch nonstick pan with a thin layer.
I put it on my food scale, and it measured 3 grams.
Pam is made of a mix of oils, but the number one ingredient is Canola oil, so I just went with that.
3g of canola oil = 26 calories.
Every calorie counts!! Measure EVERYTHING!

Can you think of other examples like this?

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Don't stress so much. When you use a product like cooking spray, most of it stays in the pan. Even if you were to weigh the pan after you finished cooking you would have a hard time determining how much was the spray and how much was from the food.
  • brandi8484
    brandi8484 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like this thread! I have discovered all kinds of stuff that I thought was calorie free.

My sugar free Hawaiian Punch packets are 10 calories each. I have at least 2 of these a day.
    The big dill pickles are 30 calories each (I thought they were just 5)
    My coffee has 3 calories per 16 ounces...how? lol
    Super Omega 3 Capsules 9 calories

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My daily vitamins are 14 calories. I track them to help me remember to take them, but I'm not losing sleep over the 14 calories. I also logged 2 sec of Pam.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    My daily vitamins are 14 calories. I track them to help me remember to take them, but I'm not losing sleep over the 14 calories. I also logged 2 sec of Pam.

I log everything too. I like to see where I am with macros and micros. Not as worried about calories. I prefer a calorie target range.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much about spray.. I believe there's other stuff mixed in too so I'm not sure those 3g are really oil?
  • FransessM
    FransessM Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    If its a problem for you, get a Ceramic coating pan? Needs 0 oil or sprays.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's oil, which has calories, it's good that you've recognised this, it seems that lots of people find this surprising.

You might also like to know that non stick sprays usually contain propellants that can ruin the non stick surface if your pan - if it's a good quality pan I suggest you check online and see if they say anything about it, I ruined two nice Scanpans with the stuff before I found out.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I weighed my dry skillet once, then sprayed my typical spray of olive oil. The weight changed by 1 gram. Now I log 1 gram of olive oil each time I stir-fry.
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    my rule: not to log anything below 5 calories. So I do not record coffee, diet sodas, etc.

Now I try to be careful with the "obvious" stuff. Pure fats (butter, oils, etc), IMO are very easy to "forget" and add 9 calories per gram. Even doing de finest beef will take 3-5 grams of fat. Important from macro (around 10% of macro count) and 30-50 cals. If you do it 3 times a day (small salad, chicken beef, scramble egg), then you are missing a lot of info and people open posts of style "why I log everything, I do deficit but no change in weight".

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Right now? The amount of Nyquil/DayQuil I have been consuming adds up. It sucks.

Use the pills, lol.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    No, these r irrelevant in my logging. Anything less than 73 calories (Ferrero rocher) doesn't get much play in my daily log and I lose weight just fine. I'd think Youd shoot up your stress level over 26 cals why too high which impacts cortisol n weight loss way more than these 26 cals

How much do you still have left to lose? How big is your deficit?

When you get down to losing a few pounds of vanity weight and are cutting it close on creating a small deficit, tight logging is very, very important. Especially if you use a lot of cooking spray. Cook three or four times a day, and there's 100 calories right there. If your deficit is 250, that adds up.

OP, I already knew about the calories in Pam, and have been logging it. I log everything.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    Right now? The amount of Nyquil/DayQuil I have been consuming adds up. It sucks.

Use the pills, lol.

DayQuil I typically do. The NyQuil pills don't work in the sleepy aspect, so I'm stuck gagging the syrup down. :lol: