Women over 40, wanting to lose 20 lbs, support/motivation/success?

Options

Replies

• designerdiscounts
    designerdiscounts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I tried a P90 class today at the gym and am now icing both my knees. :# Wishing I lived in a one story house right now.

Welcome to all the new posters! I really hope you all stick with this and reach your goals. It definitely helps me to have others going through the journey with me.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Last night I tried nupasta...has anyone heard of it?

It comes precooked in single servings for 25 calories per serving! So, it was more like rice noodles, and a little chewy BUT for 25 calories I'm willing to get around it!

Also took the baby swimming today and am headed to bodypump tonight with a girlfriend. Happy hump day ❤
  • MrsSarge140
    MrsSarge140 Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm getting to this group a little late! :o I'm 47, and lost 35 pounds in 2015 just by changing my diet. I changed jobs during the summer and gained 10 back. :'( I'm 5'2" and would like to be at 130. I still have 28 pounds to go! I try to keep my calories at 1300 and eat as clean as I can...I work full time and have 3 kids and a husband, so I do the best I can. I recently made a commitment to myself to clean up my diet again and begin an exercise program. I started this week, and have done some cardio and adding toning tonight after work. Feel free to add me to your friends list...

I use a Garmin fitness tracker to keep up with my steps and am shooting for 10,000 a day which is a stretch for me because my job is behind a desk...I've entered my first 5k this coming Saturday. Although I won't be able to run the entire 3.1 miles, I want to finish and make it the first of many races!
  • designerdiscounts
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

It comes precooked in single servings for 25 calories per serving! So, it was more like rice noodles, and a little chewy BUT for 25 calories I'm willing to get around it!

Also took the baby swimming today and am headed to bodypump tonight with a girlfriend. Happy hump day ❤

I've never heard of nupasta but I'm going to look into it. I usually substitute spaghetti squash when the rest of the family has spaghetti.
  • designerdiscounts
    Options
    I'm getting to this group a little late! :o I'm 47, and lost 35 pounds in 2015 just by changing my diet. I changed jobs during the summer and gained 10 back. :'( I'm 5'2" and would like to be at 130. I still have 28 pounds to go! I try to keep my calories at 1300 and eat as clean as I can...I work full time and have 3 kids and a husband, so I do the best I can. I recently made a commitment to myself to clean up my diet again and begin an exercise program. I started this week, and have done some cardio and adding toning tonight after work. Feel free to add me to your friends list...

I use a Garmin fitness tracker to keep up with my steps and am shooting for 10,000 a day which is a stretch for me because my job is behind a desk...I've entered my first 5k this coming Saturday. Although I won't be able to run the entire 3.1 miles, I want to finish and make it the first of many races!

Welcome! And congrats on your weight loss journey so far. I also work full time and have kids and a husband (who eat all sorts of yummy things that would make me gain if I even looked at it!) They say the diet is the most important factor in weight loss and you already know how to do that right. Good luck!
  • designerdiscounts
    Options
    Does anyone else find they are really tired at the end of the day after exercising and cutting calories? I guess it makes complete sense but I'm exhausted. Maybe I need more carbs? or more naps :).
  • ibemtb
    ibemtb Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I am 49.. I need to drop 20-30 pounds.. I would love to have others so we can keep each other motivated through out the journey.

I have added Bulgar as a main part of my diet.. it can be used in so many ways! Who knew?? Lots of veggies, and little meat. The bulgar brings protien, Iron and that satiated feeling, so it is welcome at my table!! LOL
    I am trying hard to get in the exercise, I have been doing short bursts of circuit training on the SWORKIT app, which helps.. It really does KICK MY BUTT though!!
  • redmaryclare
    redmaryclare Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'd like to joint too. I am 48, 5ft 3" and 159lbs. I lost 16 lbs between January-May 16, through mfp and walking a lot. Maintained the loss for 5months but have since pit 7lbs back on. I now want to get back on track and into the mindset I had this time last year. I am also planning a triathlon this year so have started my training. Exercise is crucial for me, walking was great because it didn't make me hungry, whereas the year before I did a lot of swimming and put on weight. So trying to get a good balance. But it is all down to mind set coz if that is right it seems easy. Then I've heard you need to maintain for 12 months and then things get steadier. Glad to be part of this.
  • atlf2000
    atlf2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm in the same boat , I'm 46 , 5,3 and have been a yo yo dieter all my life . I've found this app and am really enjoying tracking my eating , it is really helping , I started at 68kg's now 66kgs . I have 3 kids , which keep me busy . I've gone from a very active labouring job to a lovely office job, I now do no exercise , which I'm looking at changing . I would love to join your group to get ideas and food inspiration . I'm not sure how to join tho ? Have a lovely day . Tracey
  • solska
    solska Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I boil them for a few minutes. Much better that way. And work pretty well with alfredo sauce.
    ogtmama wrote: »

I've never heard of nupasta but I'm going to look into it. I usually substitute spaghetti squash when the rest of the family has spaghetti.

• mjh4cwh1
    mjh4cwh1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and recently had Acl knee surgery. It happened right after January last year so I had about 10 pounds to lose at that time, then being on crutches for 6 weeks I gained another 10 pounds! I am back on track now working out at least 4 times a week and eating healthy food choices. Drinking a ton of water! Goal is to lose 25 pounds!
  • clbzmom
    clbzmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello from a newbie! It's so nice to find a community of like-minded folks for support as we all go through this journey.

As I turn 45 next Tuesday, I decided to take control of my health and well-being by eating clean and healthier and getting more active because of my sedentary job. I'm 5'0 and weigh 135. I would love to get back down to 120 which is a realistic goal. I've been logging my calories for 11 days now, staying at my 1200 limit. I've also been working out everyday for at least an hour doing strength training and cardio exercises (hiit and treadmill). I'm happy to say that my pants already fit better and I'm sleeping better too. Next step is to see the pounds drop!

• amymatthe
    amymatthe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'll be 45 in a couple weeks--5'2 and trying to lose the last 10 lbs. I'm totally at a standstill. I do a lot of body weight exercises and HIIT workouts around 4 times a week. Trying to stick around 1200-1300 calories daily. It's tough!
  • amymatthe
    amymatthe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I meant to also add: feel free to add me.
  • tarothelp
    tarothelp Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else find they are really tired at the end of the day after exercising and cutting calories? I guess it makes complete sense but I'm exhausted. Maybe I need more carbs? or more naps :).

I am currently lying on the couch wondering what is wrong with me!! Lol. Totally exhausted after I have begun lifting heavier in the gym. I do believe it just takes time for our bodies to adjust. Lots of rest now!!
  • gabbott00
    gabbott00 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Yes!!
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I'm feeling that way today, but I'm also still trying to get rid of a cold and didn't get enough sleep the last couple of nights. So I'm guessing for me it's a combination of all these things today.
  • utahmomof10
    Options
    Every other month, some of my girlfriends and I get together and have lunch, which is almost always a homemade potluck lunch. Today was that lunch. We had Cafe Rio copycat salad. One of my friends made homemade tortillas. I had only 1/3 of one of the tortillas to limit my carbs and did a really good job of constructing my salad in such a way as to stay within my calories and macros. Then they brought out the dessert. LOL It was a homemade brownie with a small scoop of ice cream on top. I didn't want to be the ONE person not eating any, so I did have one. So I definitely went over my carbs today, but it is also the only sweet treat like that I have had in almost 3 weeks, so I am not allowing myself to feel any guilt. I had my meal replacement shake that I would normally have for lunch for dinner instead.
  • designerdiscounts
    Options
    You handled that really well utahmom. Sometimes you just have to give in and good for you for not getting down about it. And for getting right back on track!
  • utahmomof10
    Options
    You handled that really well utahmom. Sometimes you just have to give in and good for you for not getting down about it. And for getting right back on track!

Thank you! :)