What is a good substitute for bread?

Options

Replies

• mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread - have never really cared for it and can't remember the last time I bought bread. Don't eat rolls or biscuits either. I don't miss it and it never occurred to me to replace it with anything. I was never a big sandwich eater, so I totally don't miss it. You don't have to eat bread if you don't want to.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,775 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Dave's killer bread- is a good one as well- esp. the thin sliced for 60 calories becuase to me it is calorie dense- only one slice and it s filling to me-

Ooh I love that stuff! Have it every day with smoked salmon for breakfast. Yes, the thin sliced helps with portions.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I like bread a lot. Sometimes I eat a lower calorie bread, sometimes I use corn tortillas because they make delicious little pockets for delicious things, and sometimes I put my toppings on a potato because it is more filling for me.

I didn't see you answer if you have a gluten allergy. If you don't, you could still eat your bread and lose weight.
  • lauraemily84
    lauraemily84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I try to have just one slice - need to look into lower cal breads really! I try to use the sandwich thins as they are about 100cals they are smaller but I can still have a sandwich or use it instead of a burger/ hotdog bun x
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I don't eat bread (digestive issues with wheat and dairy that have lead to me eating a paleo type template).

Instead of a sandwich I might have salad and meat on a plate.

If my family has wraps or tacos etc I'll wrap up the ingredients in a lettuce leaf.

When I crave something starchy I have a roasted sweet potato.

Doesn't suit everyone but it works for me.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Everyone in these threads recommends a wrap instead of bread. I find that an average slice of bread is <100cals and wraps are around 180-200calories. No real benefit in my eyes.

Anyone in the UK have any low calorie wrap suggestions (that aren't just smaller)?
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    Everyone in these threads recommends a wrap instead of bread. I find that an average slice of bread is <100cals and wraps are around 180-200calories. No real benefit in my eyes.

Anyone in the UK have any low calorie wrap suggestions (that aren't just smaller)?

I'm not in the UK (Aus) but as per above post I wrap my goodies in a lettuce leaf when my family has wraps.

That's approximately 4 calories or thereabouts.

• jennifer3998
    jennifer3998 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    Old Thyme makes a bread called 647. It's only 40 calories per slice with 6g net carbs. I cannot tell the difference between it and "regular" bread.

I love this bread too! I eat a sandwich for breakfast every morning with two slices, an egg and cheese for 220 calories. So good. Good luck!

• trigden1991
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

I'm not in the UK (Aus) but as per above post I wrap my goodies in a lettuce leaf when my family has wraps.

I do sometimes do that myself but I am actually after a lower calorie bread alternative not trying to get rid of it entirely.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    lizery wrote: »

I do sometimes do that myself but I am actually after a lower calorie bread alternative not trying to get rid of it entirely.

Fair call.

• cambridgestylist
    cambridgestylist Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like pita bread. It's lower calories than regular bread and you only need half a pita to make a sandwich.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

I just checked and it looks like Flatout breads are only available in the U.S. and Canada, but Aldi has a version and I think they're in the UK?
    https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/aldi-brands/fit-active/pantry-items/pantry-detail/ps/p/fit-active-original-flatbread/

They also have whole grain options.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Depends on situation. There is no sub for good bread on a grilled cheese or reuben. But for some sandwiches I like to use wraps like Flatout or Tumaros for the extra fiber & protein. They are lower calorie too, which means more calories for CHEESE!

My wife bought these:
    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=285529152&amp;sc_cmp=ppc-_-sh-_-msh-_-bg-_-px_|_shopping_gsc_|_all_products-_-&amp;gclid=CMjf26GlztECFYVAGwod9BoPtw&amp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Are they the same thing?

These ones are 99 calories for 1 serving, to make a sandwich with. Compared to around 99 cal per slice (depending on your taste could be more!).

For a sandwich scenario I find it pretty good.

That said, Ive no issue fitting bread into my diet, Im not sure I could live without it!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Low carb wraps. Usually around 60-100 calories, 7g or more of protein and fiber. Definitely more nutritious and filling than 220 calories of bread with maybe 3g of protein and 1g of fiber.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    ksciacca97 wrote: »
    Hello I am really trying to lose weight & I would like to start substituting bread out of my diet but what is a good healthy substitute for bread I can use?

Have you thought about changing your bread instead of just giving it up?
    Find a bread that has fiber => sugar, I really like Dave's Killer Bread:
    http://www.daveskillerbread.com/
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options

Not low calorie but I find Warburton High Protein Wholemeal Wraps useful. Nutritional info per wrap pasted below:
    Energy 774 kJ 184 kcal / Fat 3.3g / Saturates 0.8g / Sugars 2.4g / Salt 0.67g

The benefit isn't in the calorie count but they are filling and have a good amount of protein plus fibre. Much less 'doughy' than a standard wrap and a little unusual, but not necessarily in a bad way! :smiley:

• YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I look for bread that's "no fructose added" which tends to have less calories. I also use those sandwich thins as they are perfect for making a sandwich without adding a lot of calories.
  • trigden1991
    Options

I just checked and it looks like Flatout breads are only available in the U.S. and Canada, but Aldi has a version and I think they're in the UK?
    https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/aldi-brands/fit-active/pantry-items/pantry-detail/ps/p/fit-active-original-flatbread/

They also have whole grain options.

That is a great find!! Thanks for that :)