started 2 weeks ago - no weight loss

Options

Replies

• DailyGroomer
    DailyGroomer Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi, you will be surprised how quickly you will produce muscle if you are new to resistance training. If your personal trainer has produced a workout/nutrition plan then he may be only looking at you losing 1-2lb per week as this is usually the recommended weight loss amount/week to try and ensure it is sustainable. Please also remember that if you cut back calories/macros too much and are exercising more thank normal, your body maybe shocked and go into a catabolic state, where you actually wont to be in an anabolic state. As fat is a great fuel source, if your body sees a big surge in activity and you don't replenish your protein/carbs correctly then it will hold on to this fat for fuel.

I am no personal trainer so I might be wrong here, but the above is my understanding? I would ask your personal trainer for advice.

No to everything in this post. OP, please ignore all of this.

I have heard all of this before and believe Kevin is right.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    Hi, you will be surprised how quickly you will produce muscle if you are new to resistance training. If your personal trainer has produced a workout/nutrition plan then he may be only looking at you losing 1-2lb per week as this is usually the recommended weight loss amount/week to try and ensure it is sustainable. Please also remember that if you cut back calories/macros too much and are exercising more thank normal, your body maybe shocked and go into a catabolic state, where you actually wont to be in an anabolic state. As fat is a great fuel source, if your body sees a big surge in activity and you don't replenish your protein/carbs correctly then it will hold on to this fat for fuel.

I am no personal trainer so I might be wrong here, but the above is my understanding? I would ask your personal trainer for advice.

No, Kevin isn't right but can believe woo if you want. Was gonna send youa friend request...

Why do you think the information he provided is not right?
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    its been over 3 weeks and i don't exercise don't drink water and was always at a calorie deficit, I logged every piece of food I logged from the search list and double checked it on the package! I did not lose a ounce! go figure I am ready to give up but at least I did not gain!

I always read that it was important to drink a lot of water when trying to lose weight. I am trying to up my water intake. Don't give up yet!

That's wrong. You don't need to drink a lot of water to try and lose weight.

I'm sorry but I think you are wrong in this case. Drinking water helps to keep you hydrated and some "hunger pains" may actually be "thirst pains", being hydrated also helps keep you regular in respects to the bathroom and flushing toxins.

What makes you think this is wrong?

Um...First, there are no toxins you need to flush out of your body. The 8 glasses of water a day is basically not right. You can be hydrated from your food and all drinks, not just water. Also, I drink when I'm thirsty and I'm fine. I go by the color of my urine... pale yellow to clear... and I'm fine and I may drink 32 oz a water a day.

If you do a google search there are about 4 million search results that pop up with experts stating this.
  • kkeller011
    kkeller011 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. It does not always show on the scale. Look at how your clothes will fit differently. Look at how your eating habits change for the better. Look for the small things. They add up and make a difference. Be consistent and continue to eat healthy and exercise. It will show on the scale.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    its been over 3 weeks and i don't exercise don't drink water and was always at a calorie deficit, I logged every piece of food I logged from the search list and double checked it on the package! I did not lose a ounce! go figure I am ready to give up but at least I did not gain!

I always read that it was important to drink a lot of water when trying to lose weight. I am trying to up my water intake. Don't give up yet!

That's wrong. You don't need to drink a lot of water to try and lose weight.

I'm sorry but I think you are wrong in this case. Drinking water helps to keep you hydrated and some "hunger pains" may actually be "thirst pains", being hydrated also helps keep you regular in respects to the bathroom and flushing toxins.

What makes you think this is wrong?

Um...First, there are no toxins you need to flush out of your body. The 8 glasses of water a day is basically not right. You can be hydrated from your food and all drinks, not just water. Also, I drink when I'm thirsty and I'm fine. I go by the color of my urine... pale yellow to clear... and I'm fine and I may drink 32 oz a water a day.

If you do a google search there are about 4 million search results that pop up with experts stating this.

Lol...OK. you believe what you want and I'll be quiet. Obviously I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying you're not right, it may work for you. I'm just stating that the things that you are naysaying are all general knowledge to most people but you are saying they're not true. If you feel that they are not true, that is fine but can you provide reason's why you think that? You have just been replying to other people's comments and saying they are wrong with no explanation as to why you think that.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

It's wrong because you can't gain muscle that fast. Especially women. A woman, if she works really hard and is very dedicated and her diet is on point, might gain 10 pounds of muscle in a year. Kevin is right in that there are what are called "newbie gains" in that if you are overweight and haven't worked out and are just starting to workout your muscle gain will be faster than most at first but definitely not that much in 2 weeks. Two pounds of muscle in that time frame is nearly impossible.

Your muscles can retain fluid after a workout which might attribute to a slight gain in weight, especially if you weigh after a workout.

Also, if you are in a caloric deficit you won't gain muscle. It takes a calorie surplus to build muscle. Working out will help you from losing the muscle mass you currently have but you won't be gaining muscle while in a deficit.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    kkeller011 wrote: »
    Don't give up. It does not always show on the scale. Look at how your clothes will fit differently. Look at how your eating habits change for the better. Look for the small things. They add up and make a difference. Be consistent and continue to eat healthy and exercise. It will show on the scale.

Thank you.. that is true to. I am trying to be more patient with results.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    the slower it takes to lose.....the longer it stays off

That is probably true as well. I will keep this in mind :)
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »

It's wrong because you can't gain muscle that fast. Especially women. A woman, if she works really hard and is very dedicated and her diet is on point, might gain 10 pounds of muscle in a year. Kevin is right in that there are what are called "newbie gains" in that if you are overweight and haven't worked out and are just starting to workout your muscle gain will be faster than most at first but definitely not that much in 2 weeks. Two pounds of muscle in that time frame is nearly impossible.

Your muscles can retain fluid after a workout which might attribute to a slight gain in weight, especially if you weigh after a workout.

Also, if you are in a caloric deficit you won't gain muscle. It takes a calorie surplus to build muscle. Working out will help you from losing the muscle mass you currently have but you won't be gaining muscle while in a deficit.

That all makes sense as well.
  • cece1012003
    cece1012003 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I second this! I started working out so I wouldn't grow roots (major couch potato). I wasn't losing weight but it wasn't long before I was able to get up the stairs without getting winded. I was able to walk without my legs hurting, I lost a few inches off my thighs, and could play longer with the little one.

It's also silly but I like to think that I'm moving further and further away from Zombies eating me by being in better shape, but that's another forum. B)
  • DailyGroomer
    Options

I second this! I started working out so I wouldn't grow roots (major couch potato). I wasn't losing weight but it wasn't long before I was able to get up the stairs without getting winded. I was able to walk without my legs hurting, I lost a few inches off my thighs, and could play longer with the little one.

It's also silly but I like to think that I'm moving further and further away from Zombies eating me by being in better shape, but that's another forum. B)

Those are all good points too. I want to lose the weight and get in shape so I can chase my little one around in the summer and take her to the pool and be comfortable.

It will surely help me in the zombie apocalypse too ;)
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    jenwil1999 wrote: »
    marykat968 wrote: »

I also use the heck out of the barcode scanner on the phone app when I log my food. That's a huge help

I'm curious about this. In fairness, I haven't tried it very often - but my understanding is that the barcode is mostly for pre-packaged goods, like cereals. Is that right? I mostly buy fresh veggies and meats, I don't think it's much use for that, or am I mistaken?

I was able to pull up cherry tomatoes tonight.
  • cecfit2017
    cecfit2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should invest in a measuring tape. I find that it's helpful to know how many inches are lost. At first there will be a lot of fat loss/muscle gain that will even out your pounds lost.
  • Katimira
    Katimira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My vote is on TOM. I never weight myself during TOM. My weight easily goes up 2-4 pounds that week. Stick it through for another week and see if you see the scale tip back down.

Also: are you keeping track of your measurements? It could help you figure out if it is water retention (looking at you TOM) or muscle weight.
  • DailyGroomer
    Options
    cecfit2017 wrote: »
    You should invest in a measuring tape. I find that it's helpful to know how many inches are lost. At first there will be a lot of fat loss/muscle gain that will even out your pounds lost.

measurements are always good to keep. I took them before I started and will take them once a month.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I didn't loose anything for the first 3 weeks. Some weeks I lose 1-2 lbs & some I don't but I've lost 34 lbs so far. Stick with it
  • sophiefletch_xo
    sophiefletch_xo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would say have a look into going vegan