Strength Training for Very Overweight People

Options
2»

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure she's calculating her TDEE correctly. She doesn't say her age an weight, but for
    6ft woman, 40 and 250 (since she's shooting for 200ish), TDEE is 2200.

So TDEE -500 is 1700 calories.

I recalculated for 6ft, 50 and 300 lbs, and TDEE is 2500 calories.

She says she was trying to hit 2600 calories, which was TDEE - 500.... Umm, I don't know how to get there.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    avygyaru wrote: »

LOL I know lifting works for people who are skinny-fat but I've been worried as an obese person. There's different things to worry about when picking up 100 pounds when you're already 100 pounds overweight. That thread is awesome though.

i've got about 50 to lose and started lifting anyway. the scale losses slowed down. but in 3 months i've lost 5 inches from my waist and 3 from my hips, assorted other inches from arms and thighs and neck and chest. plus i feel super tough.

Yeah. Mostly that^^ :D

My goal is just feel mostly super badass.

Same, same.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    avygyaru wrote: »
    I took the advice of you wise ants and am happy to say I didn't die or break anything. I searched around some more and found this strong lifts 5x5 thing that has you lifting 3 days a week and you switch it up a little but nothing too crazy. Anyway, I'm doing everything with just the bar (45lbs) but for some reason, I can deadlift 115 comfortably. My knee won't let me squat that much and my arms aren't strong enough to do that overhead or as a bent row, but whatever. I'm just glad I can do it.

Oh! The program seems like a good thing for me (steady and gradually add heavier weights but the reps and sets stay the same. Just figured I'd mention that if anyone else who's feeling chicken like I was stumbles across this thread.

I did Stronglifts for about a year before I outgrew it. It's an awesome program!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    I'm not sure she's calculating her TDEE correctly. She doesn't say her age an weight, but for

She says she was trying to hit 2600 calories, which was TDEE - 500.... Umm, I don't know how to get there.

Using some online TDEE calculator instead of using MFP (which she admits was the same number as what the dietician gave her).
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Are you not able to do overhead press and rows with the bar at all, or just with the 110 lb you mentioned for your deadlifts? If the bar is too heavy for certain lifts, just use dumbbells until you can progress to the bar.
  • avygyaru
    avygyaru Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Are you not able to do overhead press and rows with the bar at all, or just with the 110 lb you mentioned for your deadlifts? If the bar is too heavy for certain lifts, just use dumbbells until you can progress to the bar.

Oh no! At that time, I was doing about 85 pounds for overhead press and rows. I had to stay there for a little bit to be able to say, "Yes, NOW I'm ready for 90." Stubborn arms. I still have to "hold" the same weight for a couple of sessions when it comes to my arms. My legs get stronger faster I guess. Still love Stronglifts though!
  • avygyaru
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »

Using some online TDEE calculator instead of using MFP (which she admits was the same number as what the dietician gave her).

You're exactly right. Since changing my calories, I've lost 14 pounds (as of Monday) and have sworn off calculators.
  • avygyaru
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    FWIW, I am a former mega-obese person (>340 lbs) who lost weight with moderate strength training.
    • It did not make me bigger.
    • FWIW, after I lost the weight, I was 10 lbs heavier than my lightest adult weight, and 2 dress sizes smaller. Presumably because 10 lbs of muscle takes up a lot less space than 10 lbs of fat.
    • Also, my overall shape was much improved.
    • Increasing my strength did way more to increase my confidence than losing fat ever did. Being stronger and more capable is awesome!
    • You can always do more than one thing. Lift weights a few days a week, do other things other days of the week. Well-rounded fitness is a good thing. And it will help keep you from getting bored, and may help protect you from injury, too.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! It's motivating for sure. So far, so good after that scare a few weeks ago. While I didn't look any different really, I had gained in that 2-3 month window and almost stopped once I saw the number. Like full on panic mode. Groovy now. But yeah, lifting is addictive and fun and beating my high score every week is something to look forward to aside from smaller clothes.