Different words for the same things depending on which country you're in.

Options

Replies

• KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Haha love this thread! So bum is called fanny in America ?? Haha sorry I'm confused !! In U.K. Spite is a brand of lemonade with lime

I use the term bum or butt. But my kids will laugh hysterically if I use the work "fanny" in front of them.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Cool that you started this:

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate
    poutine - "who the *kitten* puts cheese curds on fries???"
    double-double (coffee with double sugar, double cream)
    Timmy's - Dunkin' Doughnuts

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I'm sorry but I couldn't disagree more with this list...

I live in the US and everyone here uses the term "Pop" for soft drinks. If someone says "Soda" they are usually read the riot act lol. Also, who calls a burger a "Dinner plate"? I have never heard that term!

Personally I'm a Large black coffee kinda guy, but, every morning my wife gets a Double Double when we go to Tim Hortons. There is 1 Dunkin' near me (not close enough to walk to) and 5 Timmys within a bike ride to my house.

We also have a poutine restaurant downtown that is extremely popular.

Am I living in some kind of weird Canadian version of the US and nobody told me? :o

Nope, I am in NC (from FL) and I do not use the term pop ever. I say soda, or use the word coke in a general way.

I have never heard of using the word "Coke" for all soft drinks. That seems so weird to me. It would be like calling all fast food restaurants "McDonalds".

I grew up drinking coke. Sometimes it was root beer, orange, grape or 7-up. All coke!
  • KeithWhiteJr
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

I live in the US and everyone here uses the term "Pop" for soft drinks. If someone says "Soda" they are usually read the riot act lol. Also, who calls a burger a "Dinner plate"? I have never heard that term!

Personally I'm a Large black coffee kinda guy, but, every morning my wife gets a Double Double when we go to Tim Hortons. There is 1 Dunkin' near me (not close enough to walk to) and 5 Timmys within a bike ride to my house.

Am I living in some kind of weird Canadian version of the US and nobody told me? :o

Nope, I am in NC (from FL) and I do not use the term pop ever. I say soda, or use the word coke in a general way.

I have never heard of using the word "Coke" for all soft drinks. That seems so weird to me. It would be like calling all fast food restaurants "McDonalds".

I grew up drinking coke. Sometimes it was root beer, orange, grape or 7-up. All coke!

Even Pepsi and RC Cola are "Coke"??
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

It's like calling all facial tissue "kleenex" or all bandages "bandaids".
  • kgirlhart
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

Even Pepsi and RC Cola are "Coke"??

You would call a Pepsi a Pepsi, but you might say "does any want a coke?" Even if you only had Pepsi and Sprite to offer them. Or you might go out to get a Coke (like you out for coffee)and no one orders coke everyone gets a different flavors.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Or calling all vacuum cleaners "Hoovers". I don't vacuum, I do the hoovering... even though mine is a Shark not a Hoover!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

Yes. If you call soft drinks "pop", have Tim Horton's near you and eat poutine, you might as well be in Canada. :)

I was born and raised in Southern California - soft drinks are "soda", there's not a Tim Horton's anywhere to be found and I'd never even heard of poutine (or cheese curds, for that matter) until I visited Michigan for the first time. And a "Double Double" isn't a coffee drink, it's a burger from In-n-Out Burger.

Well now, we need to know his stance on beer and maple syrup before declaring him Canadian. Oh, and if he rides his Polar bear to work.

I haven't seen him apologize for anything yet either. So there's that to consider.

That's the wonderful thing about living in the US in a Great Lakes state: We get the Tim's, the poutine option in restaurants, the opportunity to talk and drink beer like a Canadian if we want to, and we don't have to apologize for anything, 'cos we're 'murican. ;)
  • KeithWhiteJr
    Options
    #MURICA!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know what poutine is, but every time i see that word i think of a bum, or butt/fanny depending where you're from :lol:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't know what poutine is, but every time i see that word i think of a bum, or butt/fanny depending where you're from :lol:

Chips, with cheese curds and a gravy on top. It's a Canadian dish...we had some piping hot and fresh, so good (but bad at the same time) . Ive seen some poor replications in aus using cheddar cheese.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    Options

Chips, with cheese curds and a gravy on top. It's a Canadian dish...we had some piping hot and fresh, so good (but bad at the same time) . Ive seen some poor replications in aus using cheddar cheese.

Chips as in French Fries for those in the US/Canada lol
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Sounds delish!

Chips(hot) is what you get from the fish n chip shop, french fries are from Mcdonalds or Hungry Jacks. Hungry Jacks in Australia- Burger King in America.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Sub/Submarine sandwich: Depending on where you're from in the US it can also be called a Grinder, a Hoagie, or a Hero sandwich.
    I consider hoagies and subs to be different types of sandwiches. A hoagies has one single patty of meat across the length of the sandwich and most often involves pizza sauce.

Finally, what most people in the country refer to as Cheaters are, in a relatively small yet densely populated pocket in the northeast, called Patriots.
    Hahahahaaaaa!!!!!! You just won the internet!!
    This+made+me+laugh+out+loud+for+the+first+time+_403530bfe915351968c9a9453a434210.gif
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Haha love this thread! So bum is called fanny in America ?? Haha sorry I'm confused !! In U.K. Spite is a brand of lemonade with lime

I use the term bum or butt. But my kids will laugh hysterically if I use the work "fanny" in front of them.
    A bum is someone who won't work. Only used for "butt" when being silly of deliberately polite.

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

Touché...but...still no...

With the exception of puffs, Kleenex is the only known brand name of facial tissue and I don't think there is another name brand name for bandages other than bandaid.

With contenders like Pepsi, Dr Pepper, 7up, mt dew, etc., it's more like calling all motor vehicles "Fords" even if they're actually Chevys and Chryslers.
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Or calling all vacuum cleaners "Hoovers". I don't vacuum, I do the hoovering... even though mine is a Shark not a Hoover!

I didn't even know hoovering was a word except for the one time I heard it used as a euphemism for scarfing down food...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

A bum is someone who won't work. Only used for "butt" when being silly of deliberately polite.

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

With the exception of puffs, Kleenex is the only known brand name of facial tissue and I don't think there is another name brand name for bandages other than bandaid.

With contenders like Pepsi, Dr Pepper, 7up, mt dew, etc., it's more like calling all motor vehicles "Fords" even if they're actually Chevys and Chryslers.

I didn't even know hoovering was a word except for the one time I heard it used as a euphemism for scarfing down food...

Sorbent.... And Elastoplast. A bandage to me is a long white thing you wrap around whatever body part is wounded/sprained. I'd call the thing you stick on a cut a "sticky plaster" if I didn't say bandaid.
  • kgirlhart
    edited January 2017
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

There is Curad and Nexcare. I buy those more often than Bandaids, but I usually call them bandaids.

• Carlos_421
    Options

Canada - US

pop - soda
    burger - dinner plate

Canada - Australia

fifty-fifty (10% cream)

Sorbent.... And Elastoplast. A bandage to me is a long white thing you wrap around whatever body part is wounded/sprained. I'd call the thing you stick on a cut a "sticky plaster" if I didn't say bandaid.

I've never heard of sorbent or elastoplast.
    Plaster to me is a building material/cast material.
  • SueSueDio
    Options

That's true, I've heard it used in that sense too. "Scarfing" was a new one to me when I moved here, but I'm used to it now.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    edited January 2017
    Options

In the US, chips come in a bag and are flavored with BBQ, Salt and Vinegar or Cheddar and Sour Cream. What is a "Fish n Chip Shop"? I assume that's a restaurant that specializes in making a fish fry that is sitting on top of french fries?
  • SueSueDio
    Options
    What is a "Fish n Chip Shop"?

Oh, you poor thing - you don't know what you're missing!

Walking into a proper British chippy is to be hit with one of the best smells in the world... :)