What is a good substitute for bread?

Options

Replies

• lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love a good quality, nutritionally dense bread. But, it is a lot of calories and not something I eat often.

My usual lower calorie choices are Flatout Wraps, Sandwich Thins, Cucumber Boats or Lettuce Wraps (godd for burgers).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I love bread from flour but it can make me sleepy and want to eat it to extreme. I don't have this issue with bread made from grains that were sprouted. All the supermarkets near me carry brands like Ezekial/Food for Life in their freezer section. I prefer Alvarado St Bakery Flax as it is only 50 calories per slice. They accomplish this by making it a little smaller and airier. Alas, it is harder to find. https://www.alvaradostreetbakery.com/storelocator
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I eat bread and lose but tortillas would be an option.. You can get cauliflower type tortillas, we have ordered some and they are pretty good for tacos, pizzas, sandwiches.
  • AngiesCookie
    AngiesCookie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    if you want a gluten free option, google "Cloud Bread". its a fantastic substitute for egg sandwiches and things.
    Otherwise Sara Lee 45 is a low calorie bread, and also Healthy life makes a few different versions- low sugar, high fiber, low calorie, and they are all about half the net carbs too.

*Side note* its a simple question.. why cant people keep their opinions on their diets, their methods, etc to yourself if they didn't ask for it. Its almost like she's getting attacked for asking a relatively simple question, which then will result in making people feel uncomfortable for asking anything! I dare not too in here.. jesus.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've used cloud bread/oopsie bread occasionally. Google it.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Everyone in these threads recommends a wrap instead of bread. I find that an average slice of bread is <100cals and wraps are around 180-200calories. No real benefit in my eyes.

Anyone in the UK have any low calorie wrap suggestions (that aren't just smaller)?

I just checked and it looks like Flatout breads are only available in the U.S. and Canada, but Aldi has a version and I think they're in the UK?
    https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/aldi-brands/fit-active/pantry-items/pantry-detail/ps/p/fit-active-original-flatbread/

They also have whole grain options.

That is a great find!! Thanks for that :)

I get them regularly and like the taste of them :) Aldi also has sandwich thin rolls and those are really good as well-I use them as a lower calorie bagel substitute and then spread Aldi low calorie pepper jack cheese spread on them (their version of Laughing Cow wedges)-
    https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/healthy-living/eat-better-every-day/dietitian-detail/ps/p/loven-fresh-100-whole-wheat-sandwich-skinnys/
    (they have several options)

• RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    tjones0411 wrote: »
    Old Thyme makes a bread called 647. It's only 40 calories per slice with 6g net carbs. I cannot tell the difference between it and "regular" bread.

Do want. Where do you buy it?

EDIT: Balls, I don't think this is available on my side of the country. It sounds good! There's got to be something similar over here.
  • shellyae
    shellyae Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lavash Bread - it's sort of like a tortilla or flatbread - I have found them in the bakery section at Walmart. I also really like Sara Lee 45 and Delicious 100% whole wheat or multigrain.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Seals and Crofts is an excellent substitute for Bread

I have to wonder how many people here are old enough to get that.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Seals and Crofts is an excellent substitute for Bread

I have to wonder how many people here are old enough to get that.

*raises hand*
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I had Udi's millet chia bread with breakfast today. It was delicious. I'm not purposely gluten free, but hubby and daughter have Celiac, so we only keep gluten free stuff in the house to avoid cross contamination. I think that bread is good on it's own merit. Nice amount of fiber. The Udi's Omega Flax is even better!
  • nowNOTthenmylife
    nowNOTthenmylife Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would start with corn tortilla thenvwirk my way to using salad wrap
  • Peaslepuff
    Peaslepuff Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    farrell16 wrote: »
    I've tried a similar recipe to this but with broccoli and it was to make a dough free pizza but it was pretty good, would also work as a bread substitute if trying to avoid all the refined carbs.

Cauliflower Bread Recipe
    ½ large cauliflower head, roughly chopped
    4 large eggs
    6 tablespoons coconut flour
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    Dried herbs of your choice (optional)

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put cauliflower in food processor. Pulse 20–25 times until you get a rice-like consistency. Do not overstuff food processor; pulse in 2 to 3 batches.

2. Beat eggs quickly in bowl, then add dry ingredients. Slowly pour in cauliflower “rice” and mix to incorporate. Do not overmix.

3. Scoop up bread mixture evenly (there should be enough for 6 loaves). Flatten and mold to desired circle or square shape and arrange on baking sheet. (A baking mat will eliminate the need to oil the surface of baking sheet.) Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Cool on cooling rack. Trim out excess dried-up egg liquids with scissors.

I second cauli bread - it's the beessst, I was just talking about how cauliflower fried rice is such a great recipe, and I don't even like cauliflower - but I would add that you'll probably need to "drain" the cauliflower after ricing it, right? That's what I always do.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I use a bowl instead now. So if I was going to have a cheese and tomato sandwich, I'd just chop the cheese and tomato up a bit smaller and pop it in a bowl, eating it with a fork.
  • hellobaconplease
    hellobaconplease Posts: 108 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ....If you're doing this primarily because of the caloric content, I'd like to deviate from the other suggestions above and get real with you for a minute. Low-calorie and reduced calorie bread options are not very healthy and since I imagine that your ultimate goal is to actually maintain the weight loss and get healthy, that's probably not a good way to go. These so-called healthy, low-cal options still have a crapload of sodium, and most of the protein and fiber is actually "added." I never trust food where the health benefits had to be added. What I really suggest is that you make real, healthy bread a part of your food plan...

Orly?

Check the nutritional information here - http://www.daveskillerbread.com/powerseed-thin-sliced

I can't seem to find that "crapload of sodium". The fiber and protein both seem to come from the grains and seeds. Of course they're "added" because bread doesn't grow on trees for us to pick and eat. That bread is 60 calories per slice - the non "thin sliced" variety has the exact same ingredients but in larger slices, and is 100 calories per slice. So if I make a sandwich, I get 120 calories from my bread rather than 200 calories from the larger slices.

Fruit juice in bread? For gods sake, why? Who wants sweetened bread?!
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    ....If you're doing this primarily because of the caloric content, I'd like to deviate from the other suggestions above and get real with you for a minute. Low-calorie and reduced calorie bread options are not very healthy and since I imagine that your ultimate goal is to actually maintain the weight loss and get healthy, that's probably not a good way to go. These so-called healthy, low-cal options still have a crapload of sodium, and most of the protein and fiber is actually "added." I never trust food where the health benefits had to be added. What I really suggest is that you make real, healthy bread a part of your food plan...

Orly?

Check the nutritional information here - http://www.daveskillerbread.com/powerseed-thin-sliced

I can't seem to find that "crapload of sodium". The fiber and protein both seem to come from the grains and seeds. Of course they're "added" because bread doesn't grow on trees for us to pick and eat. That bread is 60 calories per slice - the non "thin sliced" variety has the exact same ingredients but in larger slices, and is 100 calories per slice. So if I make a sandwich, I get 120 calories from my bread rather than 200 calories from the larger slices.

Most bread intended to have any sort of shelf life has sugar in it - the sugar acts as a preservative. This particular bread only has 1g per serving. That's not going to impact the taste very much.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Bacon.

bacon-weave-bun.jpg

Yes.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Orly?

You've never had King's Hawaiian Rolls??? Those things are so addictive. I've made them from scratch before and they have pineapple juice as one of the ingredients.

Have you ever made bread before? Sugar is the food for the yeast. No food for the yeast means your dough doesn't rise. All yeast breads have some amount of sugar in some form.