Weight Loss 1200 cal, little to no exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• moose20fan
    moose20fan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    JMO706 wrote: »
    I DID IT 101 LBS IN 8 MONTHS 1000-1200 CALORIES PER DAY PORTION CONTROL AND CUTTING OUT SWEETS AND DRINKING ONLY WATER AND MILK NO EXTRA EX3discqy1ujky.jpg
    ERCISE EITHER .vmo43q8jos2m.jpg

why did you eat so little? were you under a doctors care? a male is not supposed to eat so little calories. recommended male calories is 1500 and thats the bare minimum.

I wasnt under Dr. orders and really didn't plan on it to work out that way. When I cut out the crap and cut my portions that is just what I ended up at.
  • katelaurel390
    katelaurel390 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing i cant exercise, but i can walk on various posts on the forum. Just an FYI, walking IS exercise! You dont need to slog it out in the gym for hours everyday, I haven't set foot in a gym since i started trying to lose weight. All i do is walk, you'd be surprised how many calories you can burn everyday by simply walking more.

If you have a look in my diary, all the extra exercise calories (fitbit synced) are from "just" walking.

Very true! I do a lot of different workouts, but I still love to go for a quick power walk - I did 30 minutes this morning and burned about 250 calories. Easy on the knees and still does the job!
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I came from calorie counter (which is closing - that is why I am here). That site has wonderful ideas for counting calories, starting with counting your BMR. (It's still functioning if you want to poke around to see what I am talking about). They also recommend counting every step you take, every stair you climb, every activity that involves standing (like cooking dinner, showering), every activity that involves pushing a grocery cart, baby stroller; activities carrying groceries, babies, laundry. (That adds up to about 116 to 200 calories an hour). This site, once you figure that out, will allow you to copy those activities while you do them (once you record them here). I copy my BMR over every day as my exercise. The downside is that if you do that, then this site adds those as your allowable calories, unless you turn off the adjust my daily calorie goal button. If you pay for the premium, then you can also track calories eaten / remaining for either your allotted meal or for the day. Also, unless there is a specific event / piece of clothing that you are trying to fit into by a specific date, I would encourage you to not necessarily look for 1 whole pound a week. I just try to stay under a specific calorie limit per meal by recording my calories, adjusting my recipes / meals to more or less meet those limits, relax and put away the scale and bring it out on a specific day (generally following the end of your cycle) so that you can see how well you are progressing. Your skin will sag less due to "rapid weight loss" and you will soon become in tune with this new way of living your life. Hope that this helps.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200-1300. I am exercising more because I want to, but some days I don't, and that's OK. My life is crazy busy and that's just the way it is. I started in Sept and I am down 50lbs so far, with 50 to go. I plan on sticking with this calorie range until I reach maintenance. Some days 1200 seems really hard and other days I have to work to reach it. When it's that time of month, I seem especially hungry, so I'll inch toward the 1300 or eat fattier foods to fill more full.

I actually have my calories set to 1310 because when I was set at 1250 I was losing 3ish lbs per week and sometimes wasn't getting to the 1250 mark. For some reason with the 1310 setting, I'm consistently hitting 1200-1250 and keeping my weight loss around 2lbs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I came from calorie counter (which is closing - that is why I am here). That site has wonderful ideas for counting calories, starting with counting your BMR. (It's still functioning if you want to poke around to see what I am talking about). They also recommend counting every step you take, every stair you climb, every activity that involves standing (like cooking dinner, showering), every activity that involves pushing a grocery cart, baby stroller; activities carrying groceries, babies, laundry. (That adds up to about 116 to 200 calories an hour). This site, once you figure that out, will allow you to copy those activities while you do them (once you record them here). I copy my BMR over every day as my exercise. The downside is that if you do that, then this site adds those as your allowable calories, unless you turn off the adjust my daily calorie goal button. If you pay for the premium, then you can also track calories eaten / remaining for either your allotted meal or for the day. Also, unless there is a specific event / piece of clothing that you are trying to fit into by a specific date, I would encourage you to not necessarily look for 1 whole pound a week. I just try to stay under a specific calorie limit per meal by recording my calories, adjusting my recipes / meals to more or less meet those limits, relax and put away the scale and bring it out on a specific day (generally following the end of your cycle) so that you can see how well you are progressing. Your skin will sag less due to "rapid weight loss" and you will soon become in tune with this new way of living your life. Hope that this helps.

your BMR is what you burn by being alive so why would you use it as exercise? its not exercise its what your body burns even if you were in a coma.the only thing you should be counting is your actual exercise(not counting your daily activities such as work and so on).
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I lost 13 lbs on a 1200 calorie diet and then after a few months i started working out and just plateaued. Dunno what happened there?
    Hopefully it works out better for you.
  • kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've lost 19.4 pounds since Nov 1st just by counting calories I don't exercise at all I do have a fitbit and that does give me extra calories just from my daily normal activities but I don't eat them back everyday and when I do eat them back I only eat 50-75% I basically use them as my buffer in case my husband says hey lets go out to eat
    I forgot to mention I'm at 1250 calories a day with 37lbs left to lose and I also have a desk job
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I tried the 1200 calorie thing once, and lasted a whole 3 days, 3 long miserable days :sad:

I don't know if a few extra inches makes a big difference.... I'm talking height here boys and girls :tongue: But I'm 5"8 and was around 155lbs iirc when did it.
  • tallinyc
    tallinyc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This thread is really inspiring. I've also been given a 1200 calorie plan and although i am trying to stick to it my work schedule doesn't really allow me to get home until 8pm which i've heard is not the best time to eat dinner after 8? any recomendations? has anyone still lost weight even eating at later hours??
  • CertifiedUnicorn007
    Options
    Dar_Line86 wrote: »
    I lost 13 lbs on a 1200 calorie diet and then after a few months i started working out and just plateaued. Dunno what happened there?

Are you taking measurements or noticing changes in the mirror and/or how your clothes fit? If you started working out and plateaued you may have just gained muscle.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    tallinyc wrote: »
    This thread is really inspiring. I've also been given a 1200 calorie plan and although i am trying to stick to it my work schedule doesn't really allow me to get home until 8pm which i've heard is not the best time to eat dinner after 8? any recomendations? has anyone still lost weight even eating at later hours??

Meal timing is not important. Many people work long hours and have no choice but to eat late when they get home.
    As long as you stick to your calories then rest assured, you'll be fine.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited January 2017
    Options

Are you taking measurements or noticing changes in the mirror and/or how your clothes fit? If you started working out and plateaued you may have just gained muscle.

nope, with eating only 1200 calories its not going to be enough muscle gain to plateau(muscle gains if any will be minimal and will slack off after time,aka newbie gains. its hard to gain muscle in a deficit especially a larger one).
    if you plateau it could be many things, one could be eating more than you think you are,either by not weighing your food,or overestimating calorie burns and eating more calories back than you burned. also using wrong MFP entries can be a culprit too. or it could be water retention for one reason or another masking weight loss. its usually one of the above things or a combo of things I mentioned. plateaus happen and weight loss is not linear. so some weeks you will lose,some you may gain,and some you may not see anything happen.
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I was skeptical that I could lose any weight at an office job, with no exercise. I am over 50, 5'7", and was 155 lbs. I lost 20 lbs in about 6 months, with eating 1200 per day. It was not a problem. The key is spreading your calories out, eating more frequently, with smaller portions, and drink lots of water! Our portion sizes are way too big anyway! You will not be hangry that way. I always logged my calories before I ate, so I planned my daily intake and knew what it added up to before my day even started. I adjusted if I went off the plan. Good luck!
  • Dar_Line86
    Dar_Line86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I made myself feel better by saying it was muscle gain and I'm sure some of it was, but its been quite a few months of no change and it just seems like I'm eating 1200 calories only to maintain. And i feel better, stronger and more in shape but my clothes eventually stopped fitting lose so i assume i stopped losing inches as well (i don't take exact measurements).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I made myself feel better by saying it was muscle gain and I'm sure some of it was, but its been quite a few months of no change and it just seems like I'm eating 1200 calories only to maintain. And i feel better, stronger and more in shape but my clothes eventually stopped fitting lose so i assume i stopped losing inches as well (i don't take exact measurements).

you will get stronger and more in shape but if you havent lost any weight in 6-8 weeks(a true plateau) and your clothes stopped fitting loose then that means you are either in maintenance, or eating more than you think. do you weigh your foods on a scale? its not hard to overestimate how much you eat,trust me Ive been there.once you weigh your foods you will be shocked how much a serving of something really is. the calories can and do add up as well.its really hard for a female to gain muscle even in a surplus,but in a deficit its even harder, for some it may not even be possible aside from the newbie gains.

Im not saying you cant gain some muscle in a deficit but for some its a very small deficit and it shouldnt cause a stall in weight.you would have to gain the same amount of muscle as the amount of fat/weight you lost. plateaus happen from time to time.if you are seeing no change I would say get a food scale,start weighing food,pick correct entries(you may have to cross reference with the package/websites) and go from there. it helped me when I stopped losing and even starting gaining my weight back. I was shocked I was eating more than I thought. scales are cheap and it doesnt take a lot of time to do once you get used to it.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    summyd01 wrote: »
    So I've heard that a 500 calorie deficit per day will equal about 1 lb of weight loss per week. Is that right? My question is this.... if I focus on my diet only and do the minimum of 1200 calories recommended by MFP, can I still lose weight? My resting metabolic rate was estimated to be about 1400-1450. I'm about 170 lbs, 5' 4" and work in an office. I've been having back issues and costochronditis (inflammation of the cartilidge in the rib case) so I haven't been wanting to exercise much or cause more pain. I know I could do some low impact exercises in my apartment or walk..

Anyways, I'm wondering if I need to be at a deficit to lose weight or does MFP calculate this already? Am I technically at approx 200-250 calorie deficit by only consuming 1200 calories? Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking to lose some weight through portion control and calorie counting and then plan to work out more once I have less weight to carry around. I do use a standing desk now, yay!

If you're resting metabolic rate is estimated to be 1400-1450, you should at least be eating that much each day, regardless of whether you're exercising or not. That number is the amount you need just to fuel your body to function properly. Yes, 1200 is the minimum calories recommended, but realistically I don't think that it's a very healthy number. I think you can still lose weight if you eat the BMR amount of 1400. What will help is making healthy choices and making those calories count with nutritious food vs. junk food..and you'll see a difference soon enough. You can do it!!

There's no magic switch in your body that allows it to tap stored energy (fat, glycogen) to fuel 30 minutes on a treadmill but stops it from tapping stored energy to fuel resting metabolic rate (which is what OP referenced and which, by the way, is technically different from RMR).