WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Replies

• suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Evening ladies. Been a lazy day here. DH is still feeling bad but we got a new med yesterday. Hopefully it will knock out whatever it is that is ailing him.
    Hope our GA girls are safe from the bad weather
    Kelly- I live SW of Ft Worth so would love to meet you when you get to TX.
    Mary-glad you are doing better. Started carrying weights while I walk in the morning.
    Joyce- glad you are getting better.
    Not much to talk about tonight.
    SueBDew in TX
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Sue- fantastic! Every bit of weight training is burning calories!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,041 Member
    drkatiebug love the dress!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,504 Member
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    B)
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    The Albany, GA area has been slammed for the 2nd time in 3 weeks with straight-line winds and tornadoes. We were under a tornado warning/watch (never know which is which). Kids came down and stayed because they live in a trailer and the News Alert station was advising everybody who lived in a trailer to get out and go somewhere safe. On the east side of the Flint River they were showing an area called Radium Springs. Devastated! A 4-year-old and a 2-month-old are 'missing'. Ten± people lost their lives this afternoon. Huge trailer park over there and I am guessing that most of these people had nowhere safe to go to. So sad. DOGD's other Papa (now deceased) lived right off that road. BF called to check on us; said her DOS had damage to his fence and some trees uprooted; but no damage to the house. However, he inherited a house and it was totally demolished with 3 big trees in it. The man he always referred to as "Dad" died right before Christmas, so the house was not occupied. Guess now, he won't have to worry about fixing it up to rent out.

It's been awful down here - weather-wise. Some people who had damage from the first storm (1/2/17) still had not even had their power restored; so had not even been able to get anything done to their homes in the way of repairs because they can't get 'in-or-out'. Been in shelters or with family ever since. East Albany was demolished in some areas. Both homes and businesses. This time, it was a 'confirmed' tornado/tornadoes. DDnL#1 called her mother who was also in an Alert pretty much going over her. She was pretty upset; but, there wasn't anything to do other than hunker down and pray! It went south of where we live (actually). Praise GOD!

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Katie - Like the dress, too, you look wonderful! I bet that room is nice to sit in and look out!

Margaret - Oh, and when my parents tore off the wrap-around porch on the Colonial-style house, then it became a Williamsburg-style house. Architect had to go back and redraw the plans because when they started doing the demolition of it; they found a 24" x 24" 'heart-of-pine' beam that sat on a huge piece of "mica" and went all the way up to the peak in the house (3 stories). I think my Mother thought that was a 'good' thing; because then the kitchen would be right next to the kitchen; although it meant that the den area would be a little smaller.

Lenora
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member

Hi Gals,

Heather – hoping you are feeling better…

Kate – sorry the robins moved on – I love them

Lisa – thanks - I am so glad you have given up the cigs…

Ny Karen – sending good thoughts

Barbie - how exciting! what is the new dog's name?

Margaret – your post about kids having creative history made me wonder if kids are being taught how to check on web pages and to cross reference things to make sure that they are finding out the “most truthful” item they can, I don’t have kids so don’t how this is being handled …. Thanks for your comments about political discussions

Mary – I don’t know what an “ice dam” is but what ever it is I’m glad they are not here… that sound so awful and depressing after all the work you put in on your floor! I am sorry you felt so dumped on. I love nothing more than getting to understand someone else’s point of view if it can be done without putdowns or yelling, and on some things that is easier than on other things…. There was a huge discussion in my garden club about how to plant some cuttings you would have thought we were part of a debate club!

Katie – very cute!!!

Tomorrow I have 13 coming for dinner, it is my book club I do a dinner for us quarterly… the theme is Italian – I’m doing a antipasto tray for a starter, then chicken breasts stuffed with a dab of pesto, artichoke, sundried tomato and a bit of mozzarella, then wrapped in a slice of bacon and baked, with mushroom risotto, and a tomato cabbage sauté, coffee ice cream and homemade biscotti for desert. I have a very small home (1013 sq. feet) so in my garage I put up one or two pop up canopies and then pin to the cover “walls” really sheets of muslin, decorate it, add lights, a space heater tables and there is my “pop up” dining room - So the canopies are up, the starter items all marinating, the biscotti cooked, and I will do the chicken tonight… tomorrow for decorating, table setting ….
    Should be fun.

January Goals:
    Write Christmas letter, and have all cards ready to send by Dec1…this was for nov. but still working on it. Jan. still working on this….**** GET THIS DONE*******
    Read and report on a book –
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday –
    Work on water consumption –
    Lunch with Kyle -

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • MrsGLT
    MrsGLT Posts: 44 Member
    Hello again. I'm waiting for my daughter to get home from work. She's got to tell her boss that her night time babysitter has quit and to put her in days or find a new job.
    I just got through tracking the rest of my day and I was horrible. Really, truly horrible because I didn't eat one healthy thing all day long.
    I had cheese toast for breakfast, a chili dog with cheese for lunch, 4 pieces of Almond Roca & a Godiva truffle because I was mad at my husband (I punished him didn't I), and then I made chicken pot pie for dinner and had some more junk after that.
    Sundays at my house are either really great or really awful. I don't know why either because I love Sunday. I go to church, see my friends, sing, worship and I always get something from the message. But when we get home it's either heaven or hell. It's very frustrating and sometimes, like today, I pacify myself with chocolate with really doesn't make me feel better and just heaps on another helping of guilt.
    I just realized my granddaughter has finally conked out. Yippee!!!! I can go to bed.
    I can't undo today. Beating myself up won't change anything either. In the words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow is another day".
    I'll just start fresh in the morning. I hope you all rest well tonight. Sweet dreams.

Grace in Texas
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    edited January 2017
    EXERCISE!!!
    +5 hours of snow removal with my DH
    +1.5 hours working to defrost pipes and snake a plugged up/frozen drain in his sisters apt
    + lots and lots of swearing (that has to burn some calories right?).
    We own and have been renovating an up-down duplex for the last 16 yrs and the little house behind our duplex on the opposite street.
    Pretty deep out there folks with more to come this week.
    Still a big improvement from the 11.5 feet of snow we got in 2013!!!
    Made it out to Costco today and underestimated how much personal steam power it would take to move my cart through the snow to my vehicle - huffn’ and puff’n!!!

Meg - hugs’n smooches to your beagle - what a wonderful dog-mom you are to provide him with the meds he needs to survive! Our black lab had Addison’s disease from age 2 - 14 and his injections for percorten cost us $240 a month for 12 years.. We called him the million dollar dog - he was the sweetest black lab ever named Dingleberry Fungus. A rescue from a local shelter we picked up just prior to getting married in 2001.

Yvonne - re: the bra burning placard - I know exactly what they meant!!! LOL

DJ - husband ranting - mine too, especially yelling at the TV .. now our youngest dog runs to the tv and barks at it when he does LOL

Chris - happy smaller jeans day!! Woot woot!!!

Cheri - they use 3D imaging mammograms here in Alaska - they don’t have to smash us down to a flat pancake anymore. I’m a 40F and it used to make my eyes water - now its just light pressure. I hope they have something similar there for you.

AnnieHH - welcome !

Anne - the airfryer sounds good - going to check that out

DrKatieBug - dress and cardi are looking good on you!

Lenora - your posts are always great - very interesting and jam packed - always an ejoyable read!

NEW PEOPLE - welcome!

I am guilty of using humor to mask vulnerability. Often self-deprecating humor. But I’d much rather laugh, even at myself, than cry.

Healthy eating everyone!

My word for 2017 is “Mindfulness” .. age 51, -28 lbs, 50 to go! 1200 cal/day
    Canadian/Niagara Falls (36 yrs), now Alaska (16 yrs) + DH + 4Dachshunds + 1parrot

Goals for 2017
    Drop 50 lbs by 2018
    Declutter my life, my closets, my mind and my house
    Exercise in a variety of ways and enjoy it
    Get outdoors and see more of my State - Alaska
    Develop the best wiener dog mushing team in the state of Alaska
    Be a better friend to my friends, including my best friend - my DH Scott

OSWxN2h.jpgOSWxm9.png
    Marni/Alaska

• KristinaHajjar
    KristinaHajjar Posts: 24 Member
    Hi everyone, just checking in tonight. I'm getting used to the daily food diary again. It's all about mindful eating for me. I've done a lot of mindless eating when I'm not even hungry. I'm moving more, too. We're experiencing the strongest rainstorm in L.A. In 7 years, so I've stayed inside most of the day relaxing. Resting helps me eat less. I eat when I'm tired to wind down, so trying to stop that and just take care of myself. Heading to bed for a busy workweek. Goodnight MFP friends.
    Kristina in Glendora California
  • KristinaHajjar
    KristinaHajjar Posts: 24 Member
    s9mxhgvnzlre.jpg
    My pool filling quickly!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    We are such a diverse group. One picture has snow all over the place and another has a swimming pool. Some are so good at refraining from controversial topics while others are so passionate about their particular cause that it can't help bursting through at times. I agree with Beth maybe (sorry, memory isn't the best) who said she didn't mind posts as long as they didn't really stir the pot because it gave insight into who that woman is as a person. I love you all and the way we are so different yet so alike in our common goal of being healthy and fit women.

And not to call anybody out or anything, but Cheri! A mammogram and a dental appointment on the same day? What were you thinking?

Thanks for the compliments on the dress. I am wearing things I never thought I would and enjoying them. I can't wait until I lose enough weight to rock sleeveless. Maybe one day. Sigh!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,939 Member
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    ybfi3xwll53o.jpg

Pip, did you get your hair cut? It is super cute, but I can't tell if it's a short cut or just pulled back in a ponytail.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Yvonne: Congratulations on participating in the Women's March. I wanted to be able to participate but couldn't. Some of my friends did march. One friend marched in New York City, and a several marched in Portland. :flowerforyou:

Pip: You and Kirby look great. I love the photo! :heart:

I had a busy day today. I decided to try to discourage the raccoons from being under our deck. I read about a tactic online, and resolved to take action. Raccoons do not like the smell of mothballs, so I bought several boxes of them. I stapled two smelly packets of mothballs under each side of my deck for a total of four. When we had snow on the ground there were two clear tromped down trails from under our deck. One went to the river bank and the other went straight to a neighbor's deck. Those were the places I chose to place the mothballs. I hope the raccoons decide to go somewhere else with a more pleasant aroma. Another neighbor tried the general idea of mothballs, but she scattered them under her deck and she said it wasn't very effective. I'm hoping my bags carry enough of a concentrated smell to get the job done.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Heather - I hope you are better. The float around the mangrove swamps sounds amazing. Looking forward to more of your adventures.

Meg- It will get better. Hang in there.

Mary - I didn't realize that you had all that going on. You are such a strong woman.

Jana in Va - It's mostly the fructose and artificial sweeteners that I am avoiding. There's a lot of reading happening. Turns out I can get most of the weird stuff from the beer making place. I would have never guessed. My DSIL is checking to see if he has any left from his brewing days.

Lois - You are right to be very proud of your granddaughter. She has become a strong person.

Sherry - Glad things are looking up. Wishing you sunshine, rainbows and everything wonderful.

Lisa - You did a great job on the TShirt tapestry. Yes, you should probably charge double. We tend to undervalue our work.
    10 days not smoking is quite a victory.

Marni - Enjoyed your Snow Day pics. Also the pics of Team Weenie.

NYKaren - Sending out prayers to your dear friends. Thank the Lord that they have such a caring friend in you.

Chris in Ma - I bet you'll feel grand wearing your NSV to work.

drkatiebug - You look fantastic!

This Sunday started out interesting. DD sent a text meant for me to "Her" by mistake. It wasn't the nicest. I was hoping that things were getting better and they could continue to interact civilly. Not yet, I guess.
    I just want my son to be as happy as possible.
    I went with Jheri to Michael's this a.m. so that I could use a coupon to help her amass the supplies to add to her "Body of Work" There will be an art show but I do not know the date yet. It should be an interesting experience.
    Ryan called tonight for advice on cooking diced turkey. I assured him that he had cooked it long enough and they would all survive his turkey in sauce. After being married for almost 16 years he has decided to help by cooking once in a while.
    Jason was also cooking tonight. He has always done this but I don't think "She" appreciates it. He not only shops for the meals, cooks them, he also does the clean up.
    DSIL was also cooking. Ratatouille.
    2 days in to NO SUGAR and I have run into a couple bumps but feel it is going pretty well. Bread is an issue although the rye bread has no sugar. Also I used Kraft peanut butter this morning and then realized there was sugar. I bought Adams peanut butter = solved that. I have a Steel Cut Oats recipe in the slow cooker. Breakfast should be a no brainer.

We went to "Christmas Office Party". We laughed a lot. Some parts were crude but on the whole it was funny. I tried to suggest we go out for coffee to see friends or family.

Took a break from shredding but back to it tomorrow. Dreading going to work. I hate feeling this way.

-Sharon in icy Lethbridge
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Grace - hope today will be a better one for you.

Dr Katiebug - beautiful dress and it looks amazing on you.

Lenora - tornados are horrific, they come with little warning and leave lives shattered in a matter of seconds. Hope your weather pattern changes soon.

Katla - good luck with the mothballs. I may try it on whatever critter is making its home up under our roof were we don't have access.

Kim - your bookclub meal sounds amazing.

Gloria - I also love it when friends with different opinions share their points of view. Our closest group of friends here in France have hugely divergent political opinions. We often gather over a meal, debate (argue over) issues, then laugh together. I think it helps sometimes to find that there is more in common than we think.

We had friends over last night, which made back to two non-MFP meals on the weekend, but I was able to stay within my goals by making the appetizers in very small portions so I could have one of each and making sure there were some low calorie options for me. I realized that when I cooked before I was packing in tons of calories tasting as I went and popping all the leftover scraps in my mouth. I had to really think twice to avoid doing the same now.

Leigh from France (I also answer to Pitegny (my village) and Pit)
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Morning, all,

Investor's coming in from Dallas this morning to look at the warehouse (among other commercial properties) so I'm in cleaning mode. Every time "I hope" crosses my mind, I'm trying to stomp on its little pointy head. Not easy.

Katiebug, that is an awesome dress; you have a very distinctive style, and you look amazing.

Once upon a time when I thought I was sentenced to life in women's sizes, I hated 'em. My biggest objection to most women's-size clothing is that designers apparently feel women want to dress like their Mama's couch. Finding anything that suited my taste and my budget was always super hard. Now my curse is the stupid super-stretch jeans, which I truly despise. I miss regular, denim jeans.

And I have indulged my food cravings as a sub for cigs long enough. Back to tracking today. And back to cleaning right now.

Love y'all!
    Lisa