WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Re – Sounds like you need a ‘new’ MD. If she won’t listen to you she isn’t going to let you be ‘your own ears and eyes to your body. That is one thing my children’s pediatrician told me when my boys would get sick. I am the mother and I know when they are acting differently.
    I’ve upped my exercise by 10 minutes a week; next week, I hope it is pretty because it is easier to get that amount to get in 40+ minutes. Up my protein with boiled eggs, a little more meat, add some dairy (which for me is yogurt, cheese, and if my CI is ok, a little ice cream.

canookie – I missed my mother in the same way; she always could tell me how to handle something, answer my questions, and generally be a bright spot in my life. My middle sister laugh that ‘if’ she called she never wanted to say much; but, if we called her she talked like there was no tomorrow. I never wanted to be like my mother who was on 5’2” and probably well over 300lbs; but, when I got told that I look exactly like my mother they were not talking about weight. I hit 200lbs and burst into tears when I did. My GYN ordered me into the program I am in, and I am losing my weight slowly and have added a ‘regular’ meal with only 550 calories. They gave me 5 pages of menu choices.

My DDnL#1 takes Wellbutrin; but, I am not really sure that is the ‘correct’ medication for her; I’m thinking she needs something for her ‘mood swings’. I did not stay on it long; but, the MD I was going to changed up my medications every 6 weeks and I felt like he was nothing more than a pill pusher. I know I will have to take medications for my ‘bipolar disorder’ and ‘seizure-control’ for the rest of my life. I got put on BP medication to see if they could keep it from spiking up and down.

Allie – I must have missed something along the line; but who is “Faith?” You should be able to get a job as a Dental Assistant anywhere you go; if you are ‘certified’ … you might have to go through a ‘re-certification’ elsewhere … like in sunny FLORIDA!!!

Lisa – Does your quilt have an up and down pattern to it?

Carol – The only people that will pick up stuff left over from a garage sale is “The Salvation Army” … here [well, in Albany]. If you have anything of value; would it be anything that could be sold by your husband in his job.

Lenora
  • SGCFAb5320162016
    SGCFAb5320162016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Plastic forks and spoons would be appreciated in a place of employment 'so lunch or break room
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    checking in *punches time card* ho de hum...... So yesterday I volunteered at the senior luncheon as one of 4 servers. I was on my feet from 10-1pm! I counted it as walking slowly, so I killed it in the exercise department! I like buzzing from one table to another. They were late getting the chicken, cubed oven-baked sweet potatoes, and brussel sprouts all out from the ovens, so I got 3 apples from the produce area that people can take, and started juggling. I juggled until the apples felt a little "apple saucy". So most of them were saying, "Oh you sing opera AND juggle?" "What, were you in the circus??" I didn't sing because I was kind of blue, hearing that the one gentleman that got me singing many months ago, is now at home being cared for by hospice. Just waiting. One of the servers is friends with him and his wife, so I asked her if she is going to visit him, may I come as well. Maybe sing him a song or two.

Today I boiled some whole wheat penne' pasta and mixed it with some tuna fish, some cole slaw, and some sweet relish. Strange, but it was ok.

Last Wednesday I was weighed in at TOPS and even though I knew I was lose a wee bit, I came in at .4 lbs gain. I should have pee'd more or just re-arranged myself in my bra....sheeesh! I will still think of myself as a loser, *makes the L symbol on my forehead*.....*winks*

Becca
    Oregon

• ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Cheri great photos of a mom & daughter having fun together. Looks like great weather too. Sorry about your flight issues; hope you get your luggage quickly. If your making plans for another visit, you're conquering that fear of flying. I used to hate to fly too but found the more I did the better I got at it...at least I wasn't in a panic when I heard the door go shut and I didn't need 3 drinks to make it...not cool to get to your destination meeting 3 sheets to the wind!

Informative Garden Club meeting the speaker swears by Liquid Fence to keep deer at bay. She said you do have to faithfully spray every week. We've tried everything to no avail and now use deer fencing around the hostas especially but it ruins the look. Not sure I can commit to weekly spraying our two acres but I'm thinking about it, I'd love to have spring tulips. Oh, she also said it keeps rabbits away too.

Lois on the murkyNorth Shore of Ma.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Cheri great pics and great memories! So wonderful to have made such a trip with your DD.

Heather great pic with you and DH, weather looks good!

I'm arm chair travellin'

NYKAREN
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Lois - The deer discovered our two long rows of Muscatine and Scuppernong grapes. I need to use the grape juice I cooked up and make some grape jelly. Add to dictionary two years ago; and, they have stripped them clean ever since. DH says he is going to put up a fence around them. Hope it is not as big of a wait as my porch door has been (so far).

Lenora
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,899 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Cheri, when my daughter and her our then future son in law were working the summer at the Grand Canyon,we flew out for a week to spend it with them. As employees, everything was 50% off so we got our lodge cheap! Anyway, my luggage didn't arrive. So what I wore waiting in the airports and flying for hours, I wore the next day, including my shoes. Word to the wise, if you ware going to be doing extreme hiking, make sure your shoes are on you or in your carry on if you are flying. I got them the second day.

I was going to watch the inauguration today, for some reason I thought it was at 4 PM. It was at noon! I am glad my husband put the DVR on to record it all. So I was able to fast forward through a lot of the 'stuff' and just watch the actual inauguration. Then I fast forwarded to watch different parts of the parade I wanted to watch.

Our hot water heater saga continues. He came out today, and the part he thought was faulty and had it on order was not the problem. So we have a second brand new one. Poor guy, he has been out here 4 times now to put a new one in and then fix problems.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: I can picture you working in your PJ bottoms. :bigsmile:

Heather: You now lead a charmed life. Your pictures are wonderful & you deserve every bit of happiness & fun. :flowerforyou:

Becca: You may or may not lead a charmed life, but you are definitely a charmer. :smiley:

I went to yoga today and feel wonderful! After that I scooped a whole lot of poop and flushed it. Most of it was raccoon poop. I've been on the phone with the county and with the local County Extension Agent. There is no agency that will trap and relocate raccoons. The Extension office has traps that I can borrow, but what in the world would I do if I caught a raccoon? They say to relocate it somewhere miles away in the woods but I can't imagine how I'd lift it into my car or open the trap to let the animal go. I also found an article about using mothballs as a repellant. I bought four boxes of them and plan to staple them up at the places under the deck where the raccoons come and go. Thanks to the snowstorm I know just where those places are. If that doesn't solve the problem, I read that I can soak tennis balls in ammonia and roll them into the area where the raccoons want to nest. According to the article, they hate the smell of ammonia and leave. I sure hope something works. I'm really tired of scooping raccoon poop.

Katla, not giving up in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • bmidwinter
    bmidwinter Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hello ladies been MIA for past few days down with bronchitis. Finally had enough energy today to go to the doctor and he prescribed antibiotics and rest.

Trying to catch up on all your posts but could take me a while

Barb from Edmonton
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Lenora don't you just hate those darn deer they seem to like all the goodies we plant...and they're such hogs about it! Home made jelly sounds so good. I used to make all kinds of jams, jellies & preserves but with hubs being a Type 2 diabetic my preserving days seem to be behind me.

Maryresident weight lifter, kettlebell Queen hope the shoulder continues to improve. Massage, heat, cold what works best?

NSV my wrists are smaller...just bought a new band for my Fitbit Alta & went down a size!

Lois North Shore Ma
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,618 Member
    Options
    On the sounder train headed to Seattle
  • pcoster
    pcoster Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm looking for continued motivation. I had a hysterectomy and I have been ballooning up and down for years. (in the past: fad diets, crazy diets, 500 calorie, low carb, etc) I have decided that even if I do not lose much weight, I still need to stay healthy. I have more than 100 pounds to lose, but I can never seem to get much off long term. When I was younger I could take weight off very quickly, but I do good to lose 10 pounds unless I do something drastic. We all know how that turns out: disaster. Currently I am doing a low gluten, sugar free diet. I feel so much better to get off of sugar, caffeine and gluten. I have a grandchild due in July coming and I want to be a healthy grandma. (age 51). I have made up my mind that I want to get healthy, but often times I give up hope when I stop losing weight. So frustrating. I'm determined to do better. I have 2 adopted children (a girl who is 12 now, and a boy who is now 17) besides my son, who is almost 26. He and his wife live in Florida. I could use a buddy or 3 (5 or 6) to keep me inspired? Thanks in advance!
    Peggy
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    Home for a superb dinner party and send off for Diane...And Tom texted me at 9:05 saying they hadn't been served dinner yet