Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,094 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    beth have fun with your coffee catch up! That is so frustrating that you can't find a great aide, I'll bet the turn over is really challenging.

I Have a work colleague who is struggling with work/life balance on top of peri-menopause-- boy do I remember how incredibly difficult this time was for me. I listened, I hugged, I told her she really should go and talk to her MD, and last I remembered that old Winston Churchill quote: "when you're going through hell...keep going". I think it applies. Aging ain't for sissies!! But better than the alternative :s
    NYKAREN
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Vit D is fat soluble, so gelcaps, drops, and gummies are much more bioavailable than tablets (which are water soluble). Also, taking Vit D supplements with a fatty meal, or with fish oil supplements, increases absorption. People take anywhere from 1000 units/day to 50,000 units/week or more (the latter being a prescribed supplement). Because Vit D is fat soluble, there is the potential for it to build up in adipose tissue and cause toxicity, which leads to severe joint pain and some other problems, but this usually occurs only at very high doses or in people with certain pre-existing conditions. Vit D levels can be monitored by your doctor, but it usually isn't necessary unless you are on a high dose. Vit D is naturally occurring in wild caught fatty fish and cod liver oil, and is in fortified milk, OJ, & cereals. Sunshine exposure causes our skin to produce Vit D. Probably half the world's population is Vit D deficient, and it is an independent risk factor for mortality in certain populations (people who have had hip fractures, people with end stage renal failure, etc.)

The reason I am going on & on is not to bore you to tears, but to say this: Vit D is important, many of us are deficient, and taking 2000 units/day in gelcap, drop, or gummy form would certainly be considered a safe dose by almost all experts. It cured my severe knee pain several years ago.

Karen in Virginia
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Carey – Driving and listening to an audio book (at least here in GA [USA] would be considered ‘distracted driving’), especially if you had both ears plugged in. I can’t pat my head and rub my belly at the same time. I don’t pick up my left foot as high as I should, so stumbling – especially before I lost some weight – was common place. When I chew gum biting my lip, tongue, or inside my cheek is what I usually do.

Allie – You go, girl!!!!! I hope the bag you are packing is actually your ‘purse’ or ‘pocketbook’. Good to do things under the ‘radar’ … as to ‘surprise the daylights out of him’. LOL! Good news about the real estate agent loving your house. That should give you an idea of what you could be awarded 50% once it is ‘liquidated’. Then you can take your share and ‘invest’ with some financial company with an officer who will be able to show you all the things that you can get and still protect your investment … you can either roll over the interest by buying more stocks, bonds, or mutual funds or have the interest paid to you either quarterly or monthly. You’d be surprised at how much interest you can earn with the ‘cash’ … could not do that with a ‘paid for’ house. I’d much rather not be worried about paying insurance, property taxes, upkeep, repairs, and you could ‘end up with a Money Pit’. Same with his retirement account, the house and lot in Florida 50/50 … show him you are not the ‘meek little mild woman who will take him at his word’ any longer.

Glo – Spring is when the pecan trees start to ‘leaf out’. Here, at least (SW GA). You don’t plant a garden until AFTER Easter and you don’t put your houseplants and ferns outside before the pecan trees do their job. We always have a ‘plant killing freeze’ before that. Some trees, such as peach trees do need a period of ‘cold’ weather, at the right time so the blooms will come out and make fruit. Yummy!!!! Like bananas, I like my peaches on a slightly green side; and, best of all, the ‘cling free’ ones. I like the just 'ripe enough to be sweet; but, not mushy. They usually come in later in the summer. Ft. Valley and Byron (on the Interstate - I-75) is about the best place to buy them … the exit with the big peach (which has been ‘lost’ from time-to-time from big winds). Peach County, Crawford County, Macon County, and places around there is really “Peach Country” … for those of you traveling up-and-down as “Snow Birds.’

Re I can’t wait until the late Spring so I can get back in the pool, exercise is so much better in the water. I start off slowly, then by the end of the summer I am walking in it for 2 hours or more.

Carol in GA – We never had a ‘loaded’ gun in our house until we moved out here; but, thankfully, I have a clear view of our long driveway and I can go into my bedroom and lock the door (after I have put the deadbolt on the back door). If I don’t recognize the vehicle, I am not going to the door. I do recognize the Jehovah Witnesses’ car (white Suburban). If they change, they’ll just have to leave their pamphlets.

The last time the woman that normally comes, had a man with her. When I tell them we’re Catholic, they leave the materials anyway but leave. This last time, the man turned around and walked back and said he had a question. I knew where it was going … “No, we do not pray to Mary. We revere her; but, we pray to the same God/Jesus that you do, we just happen to call him a different name.” He smiled and said, 'we’ve just always wondered'.

Lisa That’s great about you doing everything you can do to quit smoking. Lots worse than overeating and, from what I have heard, harder to stop. I’ve never been a smoker; but, I told DH when we were building the house we’re in … it was going to be a ‘smoke-free home’. No problem; but, he now has the nasty habit of ‘chewing’ … which to me is worse (for him); but, I don’t have to inhale it. Great NSV … keep it up! DYS has 'quit' smoking and lost 15lbs; but, he did so because he had such a bad cold and later a cough that made him sick. He was not use to coughing up phlegm. DDnL#2 said he was pitiful. She had had it, he got it from her, now she has it again. Says the 'coughing' is the worst thing about it.

Katla My DDnL#2 just bought a Volvo – they are supposed to be about the safest vehicle on the road; because it has a steel bar that goes all around it. The first time I sat in hers, felt like the bottom of the window sill was above my shoulders. Felt like I was in a ‘cocoon’.

Janetr okc – One of my HS friends (retired General) is going to be up for the Inauguration, going to one of the balls; which I hear are only 3. He was so excited to be able to be a part.

Michele – Got the tape in the mail today – check will be probably put in the mail in a day or two. Thanks.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Everybody is talking about vitamin D deficiency. One thing that I found interesting is that if you have dark circles underneath your eyes that is a symptom of vitamin D deficiency!
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    <3
  • sherryminchagain
    sherryminchagain Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hey now....

No such luck getting any additional sleep this morning, but had nice long talk with the advocate who checked me in here the day I arrived. I explained to her that I've gotten only about 5 hours of sleep each night since I've been here because kids are allowed to run rampant screaming and yelling at all hours and reminded her that even though we sign a contract saying we agree to follow the rules blah blah blah that these mothers are not supervising their children at all, including the twin babies down the hall from me who are allowed to crawl around in unsafe places with no supervision, and gently reminded her that contract states quiet hours are 8pm to 7am and it's not being followed or enforced by staff and that now the kids have gotten into my injection pens I have to keep in the fridge for my diabetes (no needles attached to them, just plastic pen type things that I have stored in the highest place in the fridge as far out of reach as possible) and that this can't happen as I risk infection if others handle my pens and I absolutely cannot have kids breaking open my pens, plus the kids are getting into my food in the fridge (I keep all my dry goods in my room) and that I only get so much in food stamps and can't afford to feed others kids or have them leave my food out to spoil. She took my complaints seriously as she is afraid I will complain to the state which is where they get most of their funding from even though it's not state run or affiliated. She then went through the resident area and spoke with each mom and all the kids so shouldn't have any further problems but she said she will hook me up with a mini fridge for my room so I have a safe place for my food and pens. I also had to warn her that they need to take care of the ice on the sidewalks around the outside of the shelter because I already slipped and fell once today and got hurt. I didn't come right out and say it but I hinted that if I fall again because of their negligence I would not have a problem suing. I hate to be like that but they are not taking care of their responsibilities in running this place. It's almost like they just want to sit at their desks behind locked doors and not do anything, and some of you know I absolutely hate purposeful incompetence or neglect in doing a job. If you can't do your job and do your best at it, then step aside and let someone else do it. OK, enough venting. We will see how things go tonight, lol. So far the kids have been fairly quiet and have had supervision today, let's see if it sticks! I understand it's hard when kids are stuck inside due to weather, but c'mon, at least keep your eye on your kids for their own safety!

Joyce - oh honey, no need to thank me for being your friend. I just wish you weren't in so much pain with your back and having your other medical problems, I hate to see people in pain. I struggle through my own back problems and medical issues so I feel ya! I'm right there with you, hand in hand girlfriend! And I'm glad to be an inspiration to at least one person. The best gift we can give others is to try to inspire and be a good example. I know I have my faults, too many in fact lol, but I try not to have them affect others in a negative way. And I just try to persevere in life, sometimes I fail miserably, but hey, I'm only human.

I made the mistake of putting in my email address on a site I was doing research on and boy howdy, my email inbox has been overflowing with junk!!! Don't think I will be doing that again, lol! It's taking two forevers to delete it all! Seems like as soon as I get it emptied it overflows again with even more junk! So much for spam filters, lol!

Sorry about not responding to each of you individually, my brain is still in a fog from lack of sleep! But I do want you all to know that I HAVE read your posts and greatly appreciate all the love and support from you all. It does my heart good to know there are people out there who do worry and care about me. I will do my best to make you all proud. And thanks to those who put up with my ups and downs, and my craziness. I do know one thing for sure, it is time to put any man I might get involved with from now on through a rigorous background check! This violence that is a constant presence most of my life has got to stop! I do still hold hope that there is the right guy for me out there somewhere, I'm just not gonna go looking anymore. He'll come to me when the time is right. At least that is what I believe, of course I may just be a daft old broad too!

Well, this post is turning out to be a long one too, lol! I gotta get out of that habit! I told myself when I came back that I wasn't going to do that anymore, but it looks like I can't seem to control it, lol. Oh well, those of you who don't mind reading my ramblings won't care about it that much, but others, all I can say is just don't read it, lol! It's just an old broad babbling anyway, lol. OK, I'm off to try and eat something appropriate for dinner. I'll babble at you all again later. Found some good minions memes so will share a few later. Love you all!!

Sherry in "jeez, you'd think I was writing a book!"
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Today was our last day at Disney. We enjoyed our morning together and we were sad to leave. Plans are in place to go again of course. My travel plans were disrupted as my 1st plane was delayed longer than my connection in Dallas. So here I sit for 3 hours having made a flight from Orlando on a different airline. Hubs wouldn't agree to come get me here :neutral: as the wait is long enough to come to Houston and return home. I dislike air travel sooo much. I'll be home late tonight. Will post pics tomorrow!
    Cheri
    in Houston anxious to get home to her own bed in College Station
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Sherry - at the bottom of those junk emails is usually (sometimes in very small print) a place you can click to "unsubscribe". I tell you, that link is not going to be very easy to find, but I am pretty sure that most places are required to have something like that.

Lenora - glad you got the DVD. Enjoy!!

Went to the Green Room, they aren't having a volunteer meeting or IDR (invitational dress rehearsal) for this show, so I had to buy a ticket for Feb. 3. I really wanted to go next Friday but it's sold out. I'm really not all that interested in seeing "All Shook Up" so Vince can go see that one. Came home, took a shower, now going to watch some TV and hopefully empty out some of my DVR so that it has room to record programs while I'm away.

Michele in NC
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Good evening friends. Played golf today and the course was really muddy. The discussion on Vit D caught my attention. I play golf two or three times a week in the TX sun ( I do wear sunscreen) so assumed I didn't need Vit D supplements. Have my yearly with my internist so I will ask him about it.
    Marni-so sorry about your pain. Take care of yourself.
    Lenora - thanks for your encouragement. You are so right about the pecan trees budding out. We don't plant anything until the pecan trees say it's time. Lol
    Sarah - thanks for the congrats.
    Lisa- so proud of you for not smoking. You can do this.
    Mary- so glad you are feeling better. Don't overdo.
    Sue in WA- you are so right about water exercise making you thirsty. Last summer I went to water aerobics with a bottle of water which I didn't drink. Then I went to yoga and the room was very warm. About half way through I "swooned" and hit the floor. Dehydrated. So I am much more careful now.
    Cat- thanks a lot. It really means a lot for you to comment.
    Got to find something for dinner.
    SueBDew in TX

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is the Amazon party! Gonna take the train to Seattle after wrk, she will take me home then I'll pick up the bike tomorrow
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    :D
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell Workout
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-21X5X 30

Sitting in a hotel room waiting for my DH's meeting to get over. I got bored! Still not feeling up to par, but I thought I would swing a little :D

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    gotu52 wrote: »

Marni – love your goals and I dream of visiting Alaska some day!

Thank you to all of you who are so strong, powerful and amazing!

Have a great day - Sarah from Ontario, Canada

Hello fellow Ontarian! great to meet you :) This is a terrific group of ladies I have already learned so much from. Best of luck to you with your weight loss goals - I'm working hard on it too. We need to keep focused, and keep moving!!!

Marni/Alaska
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    3000 mg of D3 in the winter, drop it by 1000 in the summer.
    Bett
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sherry, you just ramble all you need to. For me it is like going to a counselor or a best friend.

Tonight after baking supper I had to tape the oven door to an adjoining drawer! I also talked to a prior bid for gutters that is a construction company. I was hoping they did exterior painting but they don't. But I did call another construction company that hd given us a big last year for the guttering. Life happened and we weren't able to go through with it. So I called them. I want to get the outside of this house done! After this comes windows and landscaping. That part is what I have no idea of what I want or need for the house. I just want one of those TV designers to take over. I would tell them I want low maintenence but beautiful and let them take over.

Joyce, Indiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,715 Member
    Options
    total stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.50min, 13.7amph, 144mhr, 2.9mi= 129c
    applie iwatch- 100
    LATERAL MACHINE 36min, lvl7, lat10, 125ahr, 144mhr, 4324str, 72fl, 4.41mi = 297c
    apple iwatch- 278c
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.45min, 143mhr, 12.7amph, 1.4mi = 75c
    apple iwatch- 48c
    jog station 2 wk- 5.02min, 10.15ap, 145mhr, .4mi = 50c
    apple iwatch- 52c
    jog wk 2 sta- 5.31min, 10.33ap, .5mi = 64c
    apple iwatch - 73c
    ride dome 2 hm- 18.46min, 7.8amph, 2.4mi = 149c iwatch only, wahoo didn't record

total cal 764
  • AKcanookie
    AKcanookie Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Yesterday did an hour of yoga and then an hour of deep water. Today dad an advanced strength training DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a DVD on the rebounder.

Went to ceramics last night. Put another coat of paint on the head of the dolphin -- it was too streaky. Hope it fires OK. Today I volunteered at the Green Room after taking a donation to the soup kitchen, went to the bank (ATM), got my hair cut, back to the ATM, then to WalMart. Tomorrow we're leaving to go to PA -- Denise wants to go wedding dress shopping. We just realized that tomorrow we'll be on the beltway the day of the inauguration. Well, the beltway is ALWAYS crowded. Back to the Green Room to see a rehearsal of "Wait Unitl Dark". I really wanted to see this show and by the time I could sign up to usher, all the slots had been filled! Went to Krispy Kreme because Denise likes their donuts and yesterday the road in front of them was closed. Since I didn't know if it would be closed today, I just went early before the workers started

Marni - be careful. Hope there isn't too much damage from that fall. Sometimes it takes a while for it to show up. My bathing suit for water aerobics is chlorine resistant. The lining is starting to disintegrate, but the suit is just fine. Yes, they are a bit more expensive. But in the long run they are worth it. I got mine from Hanes Place or One Hanes, something like that, with "Hanes" in the name

Michele in NC

Thanks Michele - Yoga and pool work sounds terrific. I'm checking out our local pools this weekend. Happy wedding dress shopping.. sounds like it could be really fun! Those suits are the best - picked up a couple before heading to Hawaii a couple of years ago and wear them snorkeling. They are thicker and more bulky than cheap bathing suits but they wear very well and hold up, as well as being attractive. I keep an eye on their Sale section and pick up pieces occasionally to mix and match. Still babying my back but its coming along ;) It's funny how you can become used to being in a lot of pain, all day every day, and still manage to cope on a lot of levels.

Marni/Alaska