WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2017

Options

Replies

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Just a quick pop in to say Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday, and Allie you are getting great advice here and Mia the bags are great!
    Trying really hard to focus on positive things but the world situations are getting me down. I have even had a couple of nightmares relating to them. Everyone I know seems to be on edge as well. I can tell my concentration is shot to bits, like that Minions meme. Too many tabs and folders to juggle.

I really like that last mantra, though! Thanks for sharing the mantras.

Betty
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Lots going on in the last few days.
    Heather-enjoy your vacation to Mexico. Should be nice and warn there.
    Lisa- I agree you are so beautiful. Love both pictures.
    Barbie - Happy Anniversary. You guys should celebrate the way that makes you happy.
    Cheri - enjoy Disney. It will wear you out!!
    Rori - Happy Birthday. I tried to go back to the post about your hubbys health but couldn't find it. Sending hugs to you.

SueBDew in TX
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Becca, my friend, where are you? Missing your happiness.

Janetr okc
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

Barbie - Happy Anniversary!

Rori - Happy Birthday!

Cheers to the happy travelers and those enjoying family time. I am thinking kind thoughts toward those with struggles. Celebrating victories!

My Y is a site for a larger Y's youth basketball games on Sat. afternoons. Argggggggg! My inner teacher struggled to not correct those little demons for bouncing balls in the lobby, playing throw the water bottle, and ask over and over "Do you know where the restroom is?" I wanted to answer, "Yes, hon, I've worked here for 2 years and I know where the bathrooms are. Go find them!" I mean there were hundreds of upper middle class parents and kids invading our nice quiet Y. This will go on every Saturday until the first of March. A change in my schedule may be in order. Sigh

TNToni
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    yoga-exercise-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Mia – Bags look fantastic. Were the patterns on the bags done with that machine and did you then have to sew them together? I can see the one on the bottom has lines through the patterned purple and also through the green piece. Do you put them together and then use the machine? How big is it? My DGD used to work (after school – in HS and in the summer) for a woman who did embroidery like monograms and the machine she had was big and had just about every color of the rainbow and tone to every color you could ever imagine. She did a great job at it; but, the woman just wanted to get out of business.
    The woman, in town, who used to give me my B-12 shots did the same sort of thing, on the side. She had an entire bedroom devoted to being a craft room. Gee, and zippered, too. It has been a LONG time since I have put a zipper in anything. I used to make some of my own clothes. But, with the prices of patterns now-a-days, it isn’t cost effective (for me). Both my Mother and Mimi were great seamstresses. Even though my Mimi was an excellent one; and, did it on an old Singer treadle machine, too. She went through all the classes from Basic to professional tailoring. She used to make all her clothes when she was living, and used Vogue patterns, which back in the ‘90’s were ‘expensive’ patterns. When she moved to the town where my parents lived; she went through building a house, going to a new church, and making new friends. She walked EVERYWHERE, and would not take a ride for anything if offered and they were offered a lot. She took her little wire basket, went to town and the ‘nearest’ grocery store to her was 5 blocks away, uphill.

AllieCharleen is correct about the Social Security … his would be higher because he obviously makes more money than you do. I ‘think’ when he retires you can get it, even if you are not retired; but, I’m not positive on that … other than my sister collected on his SSI; and, ‘whoops’, she did not care if his present wife got any. Too bad, so sad! Surprise his sorry @$$ by ‘being totally’ prepared with all the financial information. He probably ‘thinks’ you don’t know squat about it. You said you had a USB made; make another one and compare it to the first one. That way you can see if his spending habits have changed, when, and where. You still have the right to apply for collecting on his SSI … when he does get to retirement age. YEP, make him ‘work’ for the Florida house. Especially ‘if’ he wants it so much. Quite frankly, I would prefer to live in sunny Florida than somewhere I had to worry about snow. But, that is just me. It’s beautiful to ‘look’ at; but, I don’t want to have to be ‘in it’.

What do you do for a living, if I may ask? MMmmm; bet if you told Tom to ‘get out’ … the first place he’d go would be to “Lowe’s”.

TNToni – While our boys did play basketball at the “Y”; when they got old enough to be able to play in school if they wanted to; we dropped our “Y” membership. It had expanded, and also ‘expanded’ their programs … as an adult you could NOT enjoy it, at all. They did not listen to the adults in charge. The lobby was awful with so many kids (mostly young teens) talking and laughing – I’m surprised that the ladies in the office did not get their names and report them. Before, if they did not follow the rules, they were reported and their parents were advised that if they were reprimanded 2 more times, their membership would be held so that they (the children) could not attend, not even with a parent. They now provide a ‘huge’ after school program … they invade the work-out rooms, and, they are supposed to stay in the ‘old’ gym. You cannot walk around the track unless you go there at lunchtime. I’ve heard so many bad stories … I am glad that we no longer have a membership there.

Pip – Reflexology foot chart?

Heather – DITTO!!!! Wonderful women here with a great deal of good information … either because they have first-hand knowledge or learned it through their jobs.

I also offer my condolences to your husband for the loss of his friend. I offer my prayers for him, as well … when you start losing friends it sort of puts your own mortality up front and personal.

When my DBnL had a really bad stroke the Friday before Halloween; then was released about 6 weeks later so they come home; we called them. Oldest sister told us that he gets ‘emotional’ sometimes. I’m glad she warned us, hard to hear a grown man’s voice crack when he is told by family members that he is loved and that we plan on seeing them again, this year in Daytona Beach. Then he goes to Louisiana for a week and the bookend weekends; when DYS ‘grabbed’ him and did a long ‘bear hug’ … he kept it together until he got home. That night he started crying; and, of course that made me cry, too. He said he know understood why I cried so hard when we left him. These past 2 years, I have been able to not cry much; because he now had a family and there is ‘so much love’ amongst them. I don’t feel nearly as bad about leaving him anymore. But, it is ‘hard’ to leave your ‘babies’ … especially when they are 4 states away and you do not get to see them but a couple times a year. DOS said that he was supposed to come in about 2 weeks, because he is meeting friends to go to some sort of concert and have a ‘Men’s weekend’.

Michele – I don’t remember how to use our Wii any longer; but, I will take that Jillian Michaels Hard Body off your hands, for postage, if someone else has not already beaten me to the punch. Thanks.

msfanglet – I know I would be moving most of my body if I had a set of pedals under my desk; but, definitely my head, from side-to-side. I’d probably have one plug of earplugs playing music so that I would ‘hear’ what was going on around me, or if I needed to answer to phone.

Lacruiser2016Mary from Minnesota is correct about logging ‘everything’ … including those little ½ - one full teaspoons of ‘tasting’ while you cook. One tsp. can easily turn into a ½ cup before you know it. LOL! I know … Especially with Spaghetti sauce, chili, and gumbo – for me.

Mary from Minnesota – How do you count your exercise for kettlebell weights? Insofar has caloric/time amounts?

Christy in Melbourne – You are so ‘blessed’ to be having your sons come tonight to visit after 4 ½ and 8 months. I see my DOS almost daily as he works with his Dad and they live next door (we are out in the country so he is not right up under us as he would be if we lived in a neighborhood). Our DYS lives out in Louisiana and we only get to see him (them) 2- or 3-x's a year. Louis goes out there in mid-December with our DOS; but, I don't get to go, because it is a 'man's thing type of weekend'. I did get to go once ... but this was before he and DDnL#2 started getting serious. We met her then ... because they had gotten engage that October.

Lenora
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow = Half marathon

Whoop!

Marcelyn
    in Houston
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    To all my Seattle Seahawk fans - They played a good first half; pretty much neck-and-neck; but, apparently the Atlanta Falcons got a dressing down and they acted on several interceptions and ran with it. Go Falcons! Sorry, even though I don't particular like 'professional sports' ... DH and I watched the game (or at least most of it).

Sometimes I think he has the TV on, just for the noise. I look over and he is either reading (or sleeping). LOL!

Have a great 'long' weekend.

Lenora
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    :D:oB)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    Grits- that is the bottom of a VIBRAM shoe, that's what we run with. We don't run with tennis shoes
    781w1t87od0h.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    lacruiser - I never add in my exercise. Yes, there are days when I go over. But on those days I know that I have a "buffer". This sort-of works for me. I say "sort-of" because I really haven't lost in quite a while, I'm mostly on maintenance. I can and do lose if I gain like 3 or 4 pounds. Then I guess my body goes back to the weight it wants to be at and just stays there. Oh, I lost 10lbs once, but I felt and looked like c*** and swore I'd never do that again, I'll let my body do what it feels it should do. Now there are some ladies on here who always eat back their exercise calories and that works for them. I guess everyone is different, our bodies just respond differently. I used to add in my exercise calories and found that I would eat junk just to get my calories up which isn't what you want to do.

canookie - happy early birthday

Allie - I have to say that I agree that Tom shouldn't live with you. He WILL take advantage of your good heart

Margaret - great strategy at the tea!

Lanette - I'm with you, meat just doesn't do it for me. I'll have just a little bit (there are certain nutrients that can most easily be gotten in meats), but give me my veges -- then I'm a happy camper! I'm not really a "juicer" either. I'm sure there are some people who feel they are da bomb. But I'd rather have the fiber.

Heather - one of the things that I find particularly useful on this thread is that I can bounce things off of you all and get different perspectives. Sometimes I get an idea of something that I would never have thought of before

Cheri - hope you have a great time at Disney. Is this the first time you'll be going?

Marcelyn - best of luck. I know you'll rock this half marathon. We should probably call you pip jr.

Lenora - I've been known to fall asleep many times in front of the TV.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Morning all

Weighed in this morning hooray have lost the holiday pounds and 1 more, this HFLC rocks.

Have caught up on posts ( we are a chatty lot aren't we)

lacruiser2016 I don't always eat back exercise calories they are really only a buffer for me . I look on my exercise as making me fitter and stronger as I'm 71 and want to be a fit old lady

Barbie Happy anniversary

canookie love the doggies

Penny "seeing the light" wonderful

miakoda40 bags are beautiful

Heather wise words as usual

Alison ❤️❤️ good advice from everyone

Rori Happy birthday

litehousegurl welcome to this inspiring, amusing and helpful thread

That's it for today will be going out later for date with DH sorry wine will be drunk but will be back on track tomorrow

Kate UK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Kate UK - Well done on the holiday pounds! :flowerforyou:

I'm going to dye my roots this morning. Like to feel confident on holiday. :DB)

I've decided not to go to yoga on the day we leave. I will need that time for last minute tweaks and there will be builders in the hall where we meet, making a racket retiling. Will email the teacher.
    Someone was asking about yoga. It's so important to find a teacher you gel with. Mine is wonderful and is able to deal with a huge range of ages and experience. We have a yoga professional in our class and several women over 80. Beginners join us from time to time. We do a bit of chanting in a very light and fun way and guided meditation at the end of the class. It can be as spiritual as you want it, or not. Great, sharing atmosphere. <3

I'm slowly getting my packing together. Was a bit anxious in the small hours, but dozed a little. Oh well. This too will pass. Ommmmm! :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Now, a question about mfp and calories gained from exercise. What do y'all do with these calories? Do you eat them all back? None? A portion? I think the exercise calorie estimates run a little high, so sometimes adjust them downwards by manipulating time, etc. I have my profile setting at "Sedentary", which gives me a 1200 calorie base per day, which goes by REALLY fast. Would love to know how you all handle this -- especially you that are working out on a regular basis.

1. Every person is different be as accurate as you can on your profile and activity level
    2. Use scale to weigh all food
    3. Log everything
    4. Make sure your calorie intake is correct
    5. Experiment eating calories back to see if you lose at the rate you set up on MFP

If you set it to lose 2 lbs a week that is a 1000 calorie / day deficit either accomplished by restricting what you eat, exercising or a combination. A moderately active woman burns 1800-2000 calories a day. So, at 1200 calories you have approximately 600-800 calorie deficit. 3500 calories in a pound. Without exercising you should lose 4200-5600calories in your deficit. That is 1- 1 1/2 lbs/week. Notice that to lose 2 lbs / week you need 200-400 exercise calories burned/day that you can't eat back! Anything over that you can.

<3

Mary from Minnesota

WOW, Mary I will print this out--so clear, precise reminders for how this works! Thanks
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Cheri have a great time with your DD at Disney, walk, walk, walk and the treats won't add up, but the memories sure will :)

Mia love the handmade bags--the sewing machine is right tool for the right job.

Rori Your Reiki quotes are inspiring, I will print those out as well. I have a feeling they will come in handy as I approach some events that usually trigger my anxiety.

The water weight gain is off (yippee), the scale is moving in the right direction. For me, it is all about night time eating--I know that but I still went off the rails. I love tips and strategies, but this time it was plain and simple: stern, self-talk: Stop eating, you are full, don't go into the kitchen that did the trick. Also, I have my big lab work and physical in 4 weeks and I truly want to have great numbers to be proud of (no high blood pressure, good cholesterol, etc.) My goal is to not have to medicate if I can help it, don't get me wrong I believe in Rx to help in a great way, but if I can be healthier with behaviors, non-sedentary lifestyle and clean eating, I will do that first.

DD goes home today and we are back to the empty nest :'( NYKAREN
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Morning, all... laundry day, so off to the laundromat. Trying to convince myself there are benefits, including the fact that it takes only two hours of my time, and I don't think about it for the rest of the week.

It's 39 degrees outside and raining, and my optimism is all dented.

I will, however, probably survive. :) Off to the washers and dryers...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in West Texas