Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Hello, I don't fit in well with the chit chat crowd so I'll try this one. I'm harmless.
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    No time to post. Costa Rica was great. So much food and so much walking I only gained a lb which I've lost. Took a few days to get back on track but toda was good. Will try to catch up later

Welcome Jerome
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've completed week #1 of "putting my teeth to bed" at 7pm and eating NOTHING after that. I'm proud of myself, cuz for some reason that's a real challenge for me. I love to snack and nibble my way through the evenings, but no more! Moving on to week #2...

Welcome, @JeromeBarry1 , and all the other newcomers! You've come to a great place.

@Misnomer971 - personally I eat roughly the same amount of calories at each meal - bkfast, lunch and dinner + maybe a small lo cal snack after dinner (but before 7pm! ;-) ). That's what works for me. You'll figure out, over time, what works best for you. Everyone's body works differently.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Susan and I was part of this thread for about 2 years, but life just got busy and it’s been quite some time. I see a lot of new faces, but definitely some from the past too and look forward to getting to know you. Since I’m on the computer ALL day at work, when I get home at night I just don’t want to get on. I would jump on occasionally at work (like now) if I’ve got a few minutes. I’ve missed this group and their wonderful support.

I know it’s not Sunday Share, but a little bit about me. I’m 48, divorced 12 years and single mom to an awesome 14-year old son, Cyrus. I work in Supply Chain at the corporate office for Honey Baked Ham and yes surrounded by food ALL the time. We live in Peachtree Corners, GA, which is a northeast suburb of Atlanta. It’s hard to believe, but I’ve been on MFP about 3-4 years now. I’ve battled my weight all my life and tried every kind of “diet” out there, which I’m sure many of you can relate.

I guess the reason I haven’t posted in a while is I made a major life decision, which was having bariatric surgery over the Thanksgiving holiday. I had the Vertical Sleeve done so they took away 2/3 of my stomach. I’ve thought about it for a long time. I did research, talked to other patients, family, etc. . .and decided this was the best direction for me and my future health. All my numbers have actually been good (knock on wood), but I just struggled with the weight itself. I knew it was going to catch up soon if I didn’t get my weight under control. My insurance wouldn’t cover it so I went to Mexico where it’s about 1/3 of the price. Best surgeon and team, which made the journey so much easier. I truly believe this journey is more mental than food and exercise. The surgery was the easy part 25 minutes long and it’s just given me a tool to use as I still have to follow clean, healthy eating plus exercising. Yes, this tool does limit my portion control and I cannot eat no more than 4 oz at a time. Prior to surgery, I quit drinking Diet Coke after a 30-year addiction, which was sooo hard. I eat little to no processed foods. I focus on high protein, 90+/low carb, 30 or less. I feel so much better.

Always scary sharing numbers, but it’s real and no way to hide it. My highest weight earlier in the year was 330, but I started a 3-week pre op liquid diet on 11/1 weighing 319. My surgery was 11/21 and I weighed 295. Today I’m 265. I’m not sure my end goal, but I’m thinking around 165-175 so another 100 lbs or so to go. I’m not looking to get scary skinny, but I want to keep my curves and be more athletic/fit & toned. On 12/21, I was released to start exercising again. The gym is a waste for me because I’m not dedicated to push myself so I found a great place called Senergy Fitness. It’s basically HIT (High Impact Training) classes. 40 minutes and I’m done, but I’m drenched and my heart rate is up the whole time. I seem to have the best success in those types of classes plus I’m really wanting to tone and build muscle. So that’s me in a nutshell. I’ll try to do personals later as I get to know some of you. Hope everyone is having an awesome day!!!!
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I think I've figured out what works for me -- at least, for now -- but I always like to hear what works for others, too. People are so different, and it interests me. :)

@gullagr - I like (and second) your wish about having a better relationship with food. Recently my therapist asked if I'm an emotional eater: when I said "not really" I thought I was being honest, but I've kept thinking about it and I am definitely a stress eater (which I will confess the next time I see him). The things that work when I'm just bored don't always work when I'm stressed, so I'm having to learn new alternative behaviors for those times, too.

@KATRENAJ - Only gaining 1 pound on vacation is amazing! I'm impressed that you did so much walking! :)

@birgitkwood - Yay for one week of no evening snacking! I'm pretty good about that, but I do sometimes eat later than I'd like. I'm working on that 7pm "deadline," too.

Thursday Truth confession: even though I'd eaten three times already today, a little while ago I found myself feeling slightly hungry and lightheaded so I got some baked Cheetos. First time I've gotten anything out of the vending machine in four months. I'm pretty sure that at least part of not feeling right was psychosomatic, because it's a busy and stressful day, but that was 200 calories I really didn't need and that I'm not inclined to "give back" later (by skipping my afternoon protein or skimping on dinner). It's a better choice than the brownies and/or cookies that are in this room and are what I REALLY want, but still...meh.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's raining and I don't have rain gear here to walk outside today, so I will have to suck it up and go to the mall or bore myself to tears getting them done in the house today, but I will get all of my steps in one way or another. It's not even an option to fail.
    @birgitkwood- Proud of you!
    @JeromeBarry1-Hey and welcome!
    @KATRENAJ- I need to try out Costa Rica, that's great to go on vacay and only gain one pound!!!
  • Damensha
    Damensha Posts: 62 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @RobinB429 *Waving Back atcha!* Thanks for the Welcome!

@whitebear4513 Welcome aboard!!! Like you, I've been struggling with my weight (and losing that battle) for my entire life. Since finding MFP a few years ago, I have done my best at losing more because it holds us accountable and adding on a group like this one I've had so much more support in this journey from people that are right there in the fight with me. I hope you find this to also be true for you! HUGS!

@bapcarrier Thanks for the Welcome and Congratulations on keeping on track when going out! That's a major accomplishment!

@campfirequeen1 Wow! It sounds like you've been through the ringer where your house is concerned! Here's hoping you can get back home and settled soon!

@ChasingChzcake I Love your enthusiasm!

@gullagr & @amandaoliverio257 Thanks for the friend adds!

@Militarymom62 Welcome aboard!!

@Misnomer971 I have such weird hours (work 12 hour night shifts) that I have no idea what works for me yet! I'm still trying to get back into the hang of listing all my meals in the tracker! LOL!

@JeromeBarry1 Welcome aboard!

@KATRENAJ Costa Rica AND already losing the 1lb you had gained! YAY!

@birgitkwood I Love the idea of "putting my teeth to bed"!

So, my doctor's appointment went rather well actually! The scale wasn't my friend, of course, but we had a really good talk about things that have been going on with me and have made a plan of action together. My lab work should be posted for me to see sometime tomorrow and I'm still crossing my fingers over that one, but I've felt better over the last couple of days than I have in months and am hoping that I can keep that train rolling. I've got my plan for dinner tonight at work, and am going to stay out of any "goodies" that show up tonight. Baby steps...
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth ... It was good to read the posts from former regulars to this thread chiming in over the past couple of weeks, @Lauriek70, @Susan2396, ... The thread has changed from when RobinsEgg had us involved in monthly group challenges and such, but the folks who have become the current regulars are a great support to one another.

AFM ... had a doctors checkup yesterday and was happy that my weight was lower than it had been at my last visit 3 months ago. He and I had a discussion about frequency of meals and then I was surprised when I caught up with this threads recent posts as that's what has been discussed! ... small world in the world of weightloss ...

My truth today is that while I have managed to stay away from posting every day, or even once a week, on the thread I do read the posts so I'm current with what's been happening for everyone. Good luck to @pneschich next week on the gastric sleeve ... and may @campfirequeen1 finally get back into her home! @FeraFilia - 50 big ones gone forever!

Niki

• campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I understand why you are not posting, but I miss you @Nikion901. And thanks, the house is ready today I believe but I'm out of town for a funeral tomorrow, so I will be back on Saturday getting everything squared away again and getting on with my healthy lifestyle again!
    @Damensha- I have my fingers and toes all crossed that the blood test will come back really good for you! I have to go in next month and I'm not looking forward to it one bit! LOL
  • gullagr
    gullagr Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness - This has been an awesome week for me where exercise was concerned! The extra boost that comes from a shiny new club membership hasn't worn off yet. I've been at the gym every morning Mon-Fri with plans to still get in at least one more cardio workout (maybe 2 if I push myself) this weekend. I've found that using set routines has made it a lot easier (with less of an excuse to back out of going). I've been using the Planet Fitness 30 minute express circuit Mon/Wed/Fri and then Couch to 5K for my cardio on off days. I've been able to push myself on the weights I'm using for the circuit - I upped the weight on every machine but one this morning without it being too much! :) I think I will probably stick with this system for the next couple of weeks until I've gotten in the habit/routine of going to the gym regularly. Maybe then I'll consult the trainers at the gym and get a routine that is more tailored to my weight loss goals.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Friday fitness finally something to report! Took off the boot and walked 2 miles. Leisurely, much to dogs displeasure. Not much pain after, but a sore foot this morning.
    I had my pre op yesterday and my surgery got cancelled. I gained almost 15 pounds since October and my liver is too fatty. I have to lose 10 pounds and I can reschedule. Shooting for end of February. I'm mad and frustrated but I will get by. They have put me on 1000 calories a day. It is insane, I'm going to gnaw my arm off. What is a filling 100 calorie snack?
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    @pneschich sorry about your surgery. Great about the boot and walking, that will help with the 10 pounds. As for a 100 snack that is filling, do you like bananas? A medium (7-8") banana is about 105 calories. I also find something that I have to really chew, like the hard granola bars. Hidden Valley bars are packaged two to a wrapper for 190 calories. I eat just one and save the other one. I'm on 1200 calories and I have to really watch so I can only imagine how hard it must be, but you have the perfect inspiration your boys and wanting to be there for them (as well as your wife). :smile: I know you can do it!
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,859 Member
    Options
    Man that sucks! Protein is an appitite suppresant. So is activity. Yeah, no boot!

Tomorrow is my WIP day. I am shooting for <295. I am right on the edge. Recently started exploring Toaism. Looking for spiritual balance.
  • Misnomer971
    Misnomer971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @Damensha - Congrats on the talk with your doctor and making a plan! Most of the doctors I've had weren't interested in doing more than telling me to lose weight. It's nice to have medical support.

@Nikion901 - Another great doctor visit! We are on a ROLL in this thread! ;) Like you, I might not post every day but I get caught up several times a day -- usually when I'm already on MFP to log some food.

@gullagr - WAY TO GO! That's so awesome! I still need to get going on the "exercise" part of the whole "diet and exercise" thing. :)

@pneschich - Yay for being able to walk around again, but I'm sorry your surgery was postponed. Now that you're more mobile, I think you'll definitely be able to do 10 pounds by the end of next month. @bapcarrie's banana suggestion is a good one (Dole, Chiquita, and Del Monte all say that a medium banana is 110 calories). If you can stand the taste of V8, an 11.5oz can of the low sodium variety is only 70 calories -- and gets you your daily veggies. I am not a veggie person, so I have a 5.5oz can with lunch every day. (I find liquids to be pretty filling; your mileage may vary.)

@MermaidPrincessRach - Keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow! :smiley:

My Saturday Sucess is that three separate people this week commented that I'm noticeably thinner. All of them were people who I hadn't seen in a week or two. I knew the first 25 pounds I lost made a difference in my appearance, but apparently the 5 additional pounds has made another difference. It was nice to hear...sometimes all I can think about is how fat I still am, so those external reminders that I'm making decent progress are appreciated.
  • timjmartin23
    timjmartin23 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm on a similar journey, I am going to lose another 100 lbs this year, already lost 24lbs since I started with a PT in mid November.

If I can share what I've found, denying yourself food or foods doesn't work - eat clean, unprocessed food for your main diet & moderation on the rest - stay in your MFP target & log everything - even if it puts you over!

Exercise is everything & don't shy from the weights as well as cardio - it accelerates your base metabolism rate & really helps.

Try not to "lose 100 lbs ... rather, lose 1lb but 100 times" ... don't know why but that makes me feel better

Add if you wish... I don't ramble on quite as much but do log every day!

Tim
  • RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,859 Member
    Options
    I agree with @timjmartin23 Eat clean but dont deny yourself and log Everything. And exercise Does make a difference. I would add, dont overdoit with the exercise. Do what you can. Even a little makes a bigger difference than you might think. Just a leisure stroll (with a mug of coffee in my case) is good enough. Its better than just sitting at home. :smile: If you cant walk orvstand for long periods, try chair yoga. It's better to move your arms than sit still. Perfection is unattainable, but we can be "better than" the day before. And, "Never ever ever ever ever give up" - Winston Churchill. As long as you have breath, you can change your life. It is worth it. It is ALWAYS worth it.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Two days into this 1000 calorie diet and down 3 lbs. Walking slowly every other day. Not sure if I can live like this for a month. I've been making up for food with water. I'm drinking about 90 oz. I see the nutritionist in two weeks.
  • lldavidson63
    lldavidson63 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Kinda new...rejoined January 3rd. I'm 53, single, no children. I'm an office manager for a fire and water restoration company. I need to lose well over 100 lbs., but I'm trying not to think that far ahead. A day at a time. I feel like I can actually do it this time. And I hope to stay motivated by coming here.

Lori
  • dizzybizzy5
    dizzybizzy5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    New to this thread. Need a kick in the bum to get started. Any help greatly appreciated.
  • 1fralick
    1fralick Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So hello.... New here since yesterday ... Monday... I was able to stick with healthy eating most of weekend.. Heading to the recumbent bike to do my exercise. In PT for a back issue so the treadmill , which helped me lose 65# , is my back up. No pun intended. After reading some posts I realize many of my choices and thought processes are luring me back to old ways...this makes me think this is behind my "Stall".. Anyway... I am inspire by the motivation and sharing here ...

Everyone have a great Monday