Scale has never budged in a year of trying- what gives?

Options

Replies

• RMSchmidt17
    RMSchmidt17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    If you have ever looked at a training results curve, you will see that, at some point, it takes a big increase in effort (or a fundamental change in routine) to make even small improvements.

I would say that there is no "tweak" to your routine that is going to substantially change anything. If you want to fundamentally alter your shape, you are going to have to fundamentally alter your routine. And in your situation, the only thing that will fundamentally reshape your body is lifting weights. You may also have to increase your calorie intake.

I can't promise that even that will work, but that is the only feasible path to consider right now.
    You ever ask a question you know the answer to in hopes you'll get a different one? I 100% know you're right. If I keep tweaking things I'll keep getting tweaks in my appearance. If I want radical change I need to make radical change.

given your stats, what 'radical' changes are you wanting to achieve?

Fair question. The numbers are fine but I don't wear it well. Mostly this layer of fat all over is what I'd love to get rid of. I'd like to look leaner- I'm happy with my muscle tone, just not the pudge over top.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    37 years old, 5'6" 126lb - How much fat is there to lose? I'd expect you to be pretty lean already and in that instance I'd be recommending that you focus on performance (whatever type of performance floats your boat) rather than body composition.

This. I'm 38, am the same height and am very happy with being in the high 120s. I got down to 117lbs when I first transitioned into maintenance and it wasn't pretty :o I purposely regained a few pounds after that.

Op why are you trying to lose weight? Sounds like you're rocking maintenance and are making gains with your fitness goals.

eta: I just posted before /after pictures in the 5ft,5/5ft,6 success picture thread (Success Stories section of forum), and the after pictures are updated ones I took this month with my weight right at around 130lbs. There's just not a lot of fat hanging on me anymore and that's without exercise. OP, with your exercise regiment you're kicking *kitten* :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    You need to recomp (do a progressive heavy lifting program and eat at maintenance), and if you do cardio eat most of the calories back. The scale wont move for you as you're at a heathy weight. A recomp will improve body composition without your weight going into dangerous underweight territory.

The number on the scale doesn't tell the whole story. It is, after all, just a silly number.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You need to recomp (do a progressive heavy lifting program and eat at maintenance), and if you do cardio eat most of the calories back. The scale wont move for you as you're at a heathy weight. A recomp will improve body composition without your weight going into dangerous underweight territory.

The number on the scale doesn't tell the whole story. It is, after all, just a silly number.

I agree--look into recomp.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    You are concerned with not so much weight loss, but aesthetics. Have you looked up any of the progressive weight lifting programs - New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts, etc.?

I work with a pro bodybuilder and she did what you are doing now - killing herself with cardio and not seeing the gains she desired. She switched over to the darkside and started a progressive lifting program - put on ~10lbs, but looks amazing.

• tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    So here's the situation.
    I've never been overweight by medical standards. My BMI has always been comfortably in the normal to low end of normal just by living a reasonable lifestyle (I love salad, don't eat fast food, and walk a ton). But I was definitely "skinny fat" and couldn't even run a mile.
    Three years ago I began working out with a trainer to help with muscle tone after bed rest from my son. Twice a week. Then a year and a half ago I ramped it up- decided to run a half marathon, joined a gym, and was running 4 days a week. I decided to eat even healthier- and started swapping potatoes for cauliflower mash, and kale salads.

Here's the deal, throughout the past few years, the scale has not budged. And before you start the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" conversation, let me lay out the facts-

-I get body scans and pinch tests every 3 months for the past 18 months. My muscle and fat composition has only changed negligibly (gained 3 lbs of muscle, lost 2 lbs of fat)
    -I have logged my food daily since college and am not undercounting calories. I have two scales in my kitchen and weigh my food meticulously. I eat mostly whole foods with no sneaky calories (I make my own salad dressing, etc)
    -My measurements have only changed negligibly (1/2 inch here and there)
    -My macros are 40% protein, 30/30 fat and carbs, with only low glycemic carbs (quinoa, veggies, sweet potatoes)
    -I had a physical and also follow up extensive blood work to check for hormonal abnormalities, thyroid issues, etc. Nothing.
    -I'm 37 and have one child. I am 5'6" and weigh 126 lbs
    -I workout for one hour or more five days a week- 3 hours weight training (2 with a trainer), 2 hours med intensity steady state cardio (jog), 1 hour private pilates and maybe a yoga class as well
    -I wear a Fitbit and average 10-16k steps a day.

The good news is I am stronger and healthier, and I FEEL better, but it would be nice if the outside matched. I feel like I'm working very hard to not look worse.

Any suggestions?

It sounds like you are after body composition change. Note you are a woman so this is a very long and arduous process without supplements (ie steroids)

1st as a woman your body wants to be at about 15-20% fat. You're weight and height are good. I would suggest weight lifting if you want to change your body composition. You might need to eat a little more to build muscle though. Also be aware that a woman can at most build 1lb of lean muscle a month where as a man can only build 10lbs. So don't get down on yourself your body weight and health sounds good. Just sounds like you need a little tweaking in your weight lifting program for mass rather than endurance.
  • RMSchmidt17
    Options

Fair question. The numbers are fine but I don't wear it well. Mostly this layer of fat all over is what I'd love to get rid of. I'd like to look leaner- I'm happy with my muscle tone, just not the pudge over top.

Do you have any pictures, as I'm quite disbelieving of the 'layer of fat' given your stats

Ugh- yes. Here's a recent one.
    It's not horrible, but there's room for improvement. Most recent InBody scan showed 21% body fat.
    xmsqzgtcpqqx.jpg
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    You look fine. what is your goal? Are you looking for more muscle definition? You definitely don't need to be thinner. If you lose more than 10lbs you're going to be in a seriously dangerous BMI. Plus if you are lifting weighs now, any weight loss you incur will likely result in 50% of the weight being from your muscles. Muscles are a key driver in RMR.
  • RMSchmidt17
    edited January 2017
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    You look fine. what is your goal? Are you looking for more muscle definition? You definitely don't need to be thinner. If you lose more than 10lbs you're going to be in a seriously dangerous BMI. Plus if you are lifting weighs now, any weight loss you incur will likely result in 50% of the weight being from your muscles. Muscles are a key driver in RMR.

I guess it's just hard that I pretty much look the exact same as when I was sitting around doing nothing. I'd like to reduce my body fat to around 17-18% and have leaner legs and a narrower waist. Saddlebags need to go.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    You mentioned that you work(ed) with a trainer and did some strength training...What kind of strength training do you do?

Eta: I think you look good, but getting on a lifting program will help get you where you want :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You could bulk and cut maybe- put on muscle then cut fat. You really have to pay attention to your macros and calories and weight training though. Do a lot of research first.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Or recomp.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Do you have any pictures, as I'm quite disbelieving of the 'layer of fat' given your stats

Ugh- yes. Here's a recent one.
    It's not horrible, but there's room for improvement. Most recent InBody scan showed 21% body fat.
    xmsqzgtcpqqx.jpg

It's not horrible at all.

Definitely recomp!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

Definitely look through this thread. You need to recomp and lift heavy to get the look you want.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Are you grossing 1500 calories? And is that an average or do you do the "cheat meal" thing? How long have you been eating at that level? I would thing some reverse dieting/bulk whilst lifting all the heavy things would be the way to go.

But I also want to say you look pretty darn good as it is!
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    Make sure you are hitting your protein goals and might need more than myfitnesspal tells you if you want to build muscle