Juice fasting

Options

Replies

• rubixcyoob
    rubixcyoob Posts: 395
    Options
    Good for you! I also saw that documentary and have seen a lot like it. I definitely think juicing is amazing (so are green smoothies)! I am going to try a 5 day juice fast once I hit my first true plateau. I'm defining "plateau" as no weight loss for 2 weeks while accurately tracking food and exercise. I'd love to read your posts about the fast.
    Good luck.

Exactly why I fasted. I steadily lost weight from May right up until mid-end june and after 2 or 3 weeks of frustrations (I only joined MFP near this time) I decided enough was enough.
    Gone were 6lbs and a further 2lbs after, so I'm hoping my plateau has been shatter for now :D
  • littlemount
    littlemount Posts: 223
    Options
    Interesting thread let me tell you about a residential detox which I had done for 15 days.
    7- 7.20 AM- LEMON WATER WITH HONEY
    8.45- 9.15 AM - TENDER COCONUT WATER
    LUNCH- 10.45- 12.15 PM- PINEAPPLE JUICE/POMEGRANATE JUICE.
    IF ON FRUIT FAST YOU CAN EAT 2 FRUITS.
    2.00-2-30PM- LEMON JUICE OR TENDER COCONUT WATER
    DINNER-5.45- 7.15 PMJJUICE AGAIN IF ON LIQUIDS SOUP
    8.15- 8.45- HOT MILK/SOYAMILK OR TENDER COCONUT WATER.

Along with this detox I had hot stone massage etc.

juice fast does definetly get reid of all the toxins rejuvinates and is worderful.
    alongwith this no sugar ,no caffeine.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Sorry you didn't enjoy your dinner juice. That happens from time to time LOL. I always use apple or pears as my "base" and then throw in the veggies....never fully fruits or fully veggies (if that makes sense). Try drinking your juice with ice too, as often they will taste better cold.
  • andreasperry
    Options
    im new to all this. and i was wondering why not add an orange to help with flavor??? is there any reason nutritionally that would make it not a good idea?
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Do you guys see a problem if you juice mostly carrots and apples when on the fast? I tried doing greens and its very hard to choke down. So today before work I did a big batch to last me through the day (of apples/pears/carrots/watermelon/orange ~ about 800 calories all together), then at home i will try greens.

I have to say that juice fasting is not fasting. Fasting is "not eating" Especially juice high in carbohydrate will make your fast very difficult. Better not eat anything when you're fasting (and juice is "food" too): it will go much easier then. I always find it strange how so many people seem to be afraid of feeling hungry or missing meals. It's no big deal, really, eventually you will eat again.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Interesting thread let me tell you about a residential detox which I had done for 15 days.
    7- 7.20 AM- LEMON WATER WITH HONEY
    8.45- 9.15 AM - TENDER COCONUT WATER
    LUNCH- 10.45- 12.15 PM- PINEAPPLE JUICE/POMEGRANATE JUICE.
    IF ON FRUIT FAST YOU CAN EAT 2 FRUITS.
    2.00-2-30PM- LEMON JUICE OR TENDER COCONUT WATER
    DINNER-5.45- 7.15 PMJJUICE AGAIN IF ON LIQUIDS SOUP
    8.15- 8.45- HOT MILK/SOYAMILK OR TENDER COCONUT WATER.

Along with this detox I had hot stone massage etc.

juice fast does definetly get reid of all the toxins rejuvinates and is worderful.
    alongwith this no sugar ,no caffeine.

fasting does not get rid of toxins. your body does that every day: it's built to do that every day, under every circumstance. "detox" by fasting is a bit of a myth, i'm afraid.
  • Pretty1one
    Pretty1one Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    up for later
  • CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I never juiced tomato when I've done a juice fast... I'd stick to carrots, celery, cucumber, broccoli, apples, beets, kale, and pineapple at first.

I think the Tomato was my mistake...eeewww
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Sorry you didn't enjoy your dinner juice. That happens from time to time LOL. I always use apple or pears as my "base" and then throw in the veggies....never fully fruits or fully veggies (if that makes sense). Try drinking your juice with ice too, as often they will taste better cold.

So far all my juices have been with ice, I gotta have them cold or I won't drink them. also I will make sure to put fruit and veggies together. Have been adding apples to everything cause it just sounds better to me.
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    im new to all this. and i was wondering why not add an orange to help with flavor??? is there any reason nutritionally that would make it not a good idea?
    I plan on having oranges tomorrow moring juiced, today I wanted to experiment and I'll be doing a lot more experimenting. I love oranges, fresh orange juice will be great
  • CarolTempleton
    Options
    Do you guys see a problem if you juice mostly carrots and apples when on the fast? I tried doing greens and its very hard to choke down. So today before work I did a big batch to last me through the day (of apples/pears/carrots/watermelon/orange ~ about 800 calories all together), then at home i will try greens.

I have to say that juice fasting is not fasting. Fasting is "not eating" Especially juice high in carbohydrate will make your fast very difficult. Better not eat anything when you're fasting (and juice is "food" too): it will go much easier then. I always find it strange how so many people seem to be afraid of feeling hungry or missing meals. It's no big deal, really, eventually you will eat again.

I do agree its not fasting.....but I'm not chewing it either....So I don't know what to call it, just juicing, but ONLY fruits and Veggies. Oh well I feel like I'm fasting, I'm starving right now, even though I Juiced out today
  • andreasperry
    Options
    I plan on having oranges tomorrow moring juiced, today I wanted to experiment and I'll be doing a lot more experimenting. I love oranges, fresh orange juice will be great

me too i only asked cause i hadnt seen it in any other suggestions or in anyone elses examples of what they mixed so i wondered if there were reasons. im going to attempt this too i love my fruits and vegetables so im hopeing flavor wise i dont have any problems. good luck :)
  • CarolTempleton
    Options

me too i only asked cause i hadnt seen it in any other suggestions or in anyone elses examples of what they mixed so i wondered if there were reasons. im going to attempt this too i love my fruits and vegetables so im hopeing flavor wise i dont have any problems. good luck :)

Thanks, you to sweetie
  • RangerSteve
    RangerSteve Posts: 437
    Options
    Problems with your diet (referring to original poster):

1) This isn't a diet that will support a complete lifestyle change because you aren't going to stay on this diet forever
    2) You're most likely shorting yourself on protein and fat, both of which are extremely important for bodily function
    3) Juicing fruits and veggies takes the fiber out of the meal which causes further harm to the body
    4) If you drink 5,000 kcal a day in juice, you'll still gain weight so this diet doesn't address macronutrient uptake
    5) Cleansing your body can be accomplished in much easier ways than a 2 week juice diet

I haven't read the whole thread but I'm really hoping you're getting your protein, fats and fiber in large enough quantities. I'm also hoping you realize that when this diet is over, you're either going to have to go back to the way you were or you're going to have to take the REAL approach to a lifestyle change and adjust your lifestyle in a way that you can continue for the next 100 years of your life. Best of luck.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Just saw the documentary and it was very inspiring. I'm not ready to commit to a full-on juice fast, but I do want to use the food pyramid shown in the film of 30-60% veggies, 10-40% fruits, 10-40% beans/legumes, 10-40% seeds, nuts and avocados, 20% or less whole grains and potatoes, less than 10% eggs, fish, and fat free dairy, and the rare sweets, cheese, and processed foods as a guideline since I know I really need to have more veggies and less of everything else!
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    I don't think a juice diet would work for me, but to each their own. It's worth a shot at the very least!

Some juice combos I dig:
    Orange, ginger, carrot
    Nectarine, Peach, Spinach, Ginger

I've read that too many flavors in one juice can be disagreeable to many people, but something to bear in mind- if you don't like a particular flavor, but want the health benefits, then add in a stronger flavor like orange, ginger, etc. Your juicer might have come with a booklet of suggestions too!
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    I just posted something on this and realized afterward that you posted as well! My husband and I watched the documentary the first of last week. We're on day 4 of the fast now and feeling much better than we did the first 2 days. The detoxing for us meant muscle aches and headaches and just plain feeling tired. So far, in 4 days, my husband has lost at least 15lbs. I've lost about 5lbs on the fast and 2 inches off my waist and hips. I have the energy still to be able to get a workout in and still manage the children without being completely exhausted. Today my husband said I looked vibrant. I don't think he's said that about me in the 8 years we've been married. My husband has gone a size down in shirts (in 4 days), and he's looking great. I'm so proud of him. We're doing this for 10 days at least, and then we'll reevaluate from there. How exciting to see that someone else is doing it as well! Keep me posted on your progress (and good recipes! I'm having trouble with the green stuff too! bleh!)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I saw the film last week, and I'll bet the juicer companies are thrilled, there are many threads about this here already.

On the website from the film www.FatSick&NearlyDead.com, the newpaper article has his first ten day juice as being:

1 Bunch of Kale
    4 Celery Stalks
    1 Cucumber
    2 Granny Smith Apples
    1/2 Lemon
    Ginger Root

(There is a bit of confusion, as there are pictures of carrots, but it's not mentioned in the article.)

That chart mentioned that talks about the nutrient breakdown in the film is at www.DrFurman.com

Again, good luck. As far as the fats, and proteins someone mentioned, just keep in mind that you have a lot of stored fat to live on....NOT everyone does. Looking forward to your progress.
  • strawintogold
    Options
    There is a fifteen day option of EATING veggies and fruit and juicing. You aren't any less hardcore if you don't all out fast so don' t set yourself up for all or nothing, that's how most of us got here.

I wish people would research before condemning (General You) it and I wish even more they'd listen to the WHY.
    The nutritional info is there for anyone who cares to read it and no one is going to get a protein deficiency in two weeks. Most of us are large enough we have plenty of reserves anyway.

We aren't ninnies, we aren't going to stop and then go eat a pizza cause Gosh, we didn't learn portion size. We already ate the whole damn pizza anyway.

That being said, it needs to be veggie based with fruit 'accents' otherwise it's too high in sugar and kinda pointless.

Edited for spelling like a kagillion times.
  • thelassiemickyjames
    Options
    I'm doing this too! I love juicing & luckily live next to a food co-op so I can get great local organic greens. I love the movie Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead. I've showed it to so many family members and friends already and everyone loved it. It is quite and inspiring film. I've found it hard to function quitting food cold turkey so in the mornings I've been having a egg along side of my juice. Helps satisfy my need for salty, protieny food, plus eggs are brain fuel!
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR FAST! I did it once before and felt so amazingly good afterwards. I look forward to feeling that again!