Chicken breast and sweet potato diet

Options

Replies

• sweetpea813
    sweetpea813 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes. I chop about 3 of them up, put them in a bag with minced garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme, a little salt, pepper and about a tablespoon of coconut oil and shake the bag really well then cook them in the over for about 30 minutes on 400. Sweet and spicy! Lasts me about 3-4 days.
  • Bites_2017
    Bites_2017 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mashed sweet potato (100g) chicken breast (150g) and steamed greens, with a little light white sause, it's a fantastic dinner for 400 calories - good for pre packed meals/ batch cook. But after 3 or 4 dinners I get bored af!
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I often eat chicken and sweet potatoes, I've eaten it almost twice a day for several months now.
    I eat a variety of other foods in addition though. I try to also have carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and other veggies along side. I cook/season differently so it actually tastes good. I eat other meats such as beef or pork for other meals during the day.
    You will be missing out on a lot of other nutrients by limiting yourself to two foods. one example- Chicken is very low fat, and our bodies need fat to function. You will be sick of chicken before you hit your minimum fat intake.
    I would also guess that 1600-1700 calories is not going to be enough for you, and you would need to eat A LOT of chicken and sweet potato to come up with that many calories. 1 chicken breast and 1/3 sweet potato (depending on size) is probably only close to 200 calories.
    If 2000 is what MFP suggested to you, eat that much, don't subtract even more from it.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I have eaten the same breakfast for a several year run before. So if it doesn't bother you, and it simplifies your life, give it a shot. Just don't think you're failing if you wake up one day and think "I am never eating that again."

But you need to add some veggies to dinner (something green would be good) and some fats to breakfast (like an egg or two, or some 2% greek yogurt). Grab a bag of almonds to keep at work for an afternoon snack (measure your portions).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    I just discovered how easy it is to bake chicken breast so I'm going to try eating 1 chicken breast and a 1/3 of sweet potato for breakfast and dinner (until I get bored of it) and for lunch just a healthy option since I'm not home during lunch hours.

Anyone ever done this and had success, along with exxersize?

No, I would hate having that little variety. Glad you are only doing it until you get bored with it, though. I agree that chicken and sweet potato is tasty -- you might want to add some veg and some source of fat too, since chicken breast (assuming it's the skinless type) is quite low fat.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Chicken breast and sweet potatoes are regularly on my plate but there are plenty of other things you can eat and ways other than baking to cook chicken. I typically cut breasts in half and cook in a skillet. I also cut them up and mix with eggs, mushrooms, potatoes, salsa, chicken sausage, cottage cheese... Roasted veggies are really easy for dinner too. A stir fry is a really easy option too. I use the little proportioned cups of rice that only take 60 seconds in the microwave.
  • HG210
    HG210 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Before I got married I ate salmon with a half of sweet potatoes and spinach every night. I had something different on the nights I did not come straight home but for the most part that was my dinner. I lived alone it was easy, quick and delicious. I was also 20 lbs lighter :( I have a co-worker that is in great shape and everyone goes to him for fitness advice. He said he eats bran cereal with almond milk every morning. He is ex military and very consistent. This guy never strays from routine. So I say it's all relative. If you are the kind of person that could stand to eat the same thing than go for it.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I just discovered how easy it is to bake chicken breast so I'm going to try eating 1 chicken breast and a 1/3 of sweet potato for breakfast and dinner (until I get bored of it) and for lunch just a healthy option since I'm not home during lunch hours.

Not for me.
    I typically eat like this:
    Breakfast- stuff like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese
    Lunch- stuff like sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. I have soup once a week usually.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese

There are a lot of things you can do with cooked chicken.
    Use on a sandwich or wrap-
    Buffalo chicken sandwich
    Barbeque chicken sandwich
    Pesto chicken sandwich
    Chicken salad sandwich
    Black bean chicken and avocado wrap

Add to noodles/zoodles
    Add to stir fry veggies, rice dishes
    Add to soup, stew or curry
    Add to pizza
    Add to salads- http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270725/things-to-go-in-salads/p1
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think eating the same thing for breakfast every day is fairly normal. To then extrapolate it to getting most of your intake for the day from just two things is a bit of a stretch. Lunch and dinner are often the most varied meals and where the bulk of macros and micros come from. A wide and varied diet should be the aim.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I think eating the same thing for breakfast every day is fairly normal. To then extrapolate it to getting most of your intake for the day from just two things is a bit of a stretch. Lunch and dinner are often the most varied meals and where the bulk of macros and micros come from. A wide and varied diet should be the aim.
    It's not required, though. It's just what most people want. Some people really don't care about variety, most people do. Why is eating the same breakfast fine, but eating the same two meals wrong? It's cultural.

Again, I encourage food *in addition to* sweet potatoes and chicken. But if this dude wants to cook up a giant amount of sweet potatoes and chicken to simplify his life for a while, I don't think he'll end up malnourished.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Haha interesting variety of comments and appreciate all the responses! I'm glad to hear that I have super powers and can eat chicken and sweet potatoes a lot longer than most! I will let u guys know how it goes.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I used to read about bodybuilders who were cutting for a competition choosing this exact diet. Their thinking was that eating the same things every day takes away the desire to overeat because of taste. Cutting for a competition is quite different than dieting to lose weight permanently. Some extreme behaviours are more forgivable because you know its short term.

If it were me, I'd stick to my plan this week (all that food is cooked up and ready to go afterall), and switch it up next week.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don't get bored eating the same things regularly so I can eat the same thing regularly and be perfectly fine. I eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and snack all of the time. And I usually rotate the same 3-4 dinners during the week as well. So as long as it's in your calorie goal, I don't see the big deal. You can always change up the way you season things to get a different taste.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Whatever's clever, but I'd be bored out of my mind...anything works so long as you're in a calorie deficit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,946 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

For two months, my coworker ate ground turkey/chicken and sweet potato/white potato 4-5 times per day plus a few protein smoothies and did lean out. He stopped because he lost too much weight and so looked smaller. (He's working on getting bigger, not smaller.)

He's planning to go back on it soon, but add extra carbs and calories on his workout days.
  • mhlew
    Options
    2 lbs down from chicken breast and sweet potato diet.
  • mhlew
    Options

It's the Easy Mac all over again! :D

What's the easy mac? As long as I'm losing weight I don't give a damn what you guys compare it to!
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    i mean, my dogs eat sweet potato and chicken every day but .... theyre dogs.

Yeah, but have they lost weight? :D
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Congrats! But keep in mind that none of us doubted that you could lose weight on this diet. It's really more a question of whether this is a good idea to pursue for any length of time. I'm still holding out hope that you'll finish this week's food off, and then reconsider your approach. Perhaps you could start adding foods back in a little at a time if that makes you feel more in control. Maybe add a salad to each day next week. Then add some fruit the week after. Etc. Just a thought.