Slow Down, or Suck it Up?

Options
When I first got my gym membership, I went 3-4 times a week to the gym. I dedicated some days to toning my arms, another to legs, and another to cardio. Sometimes I would break up the muscle groups even more, but even on days I wasn't focused on cardio, I would do some form of it. Originally, I avoided running and stuck to the stairmaster. When I wasn't seeing the results I wanted, I changed my workouts.

I began going 5-6 times a week. I added some classes offered by the gym as well (GRIT Strength on Wednesdays, Cycle classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays). When I still wasn't seeing the results I wanted, I added running to this mix (and started focusing on my nutrition more). When I still wasn't seeing the results I wanted - and this is where I'm at now - I began to run even more and have even doubled up at the gym some days. Yesterday, for example, I went at lunch time and did some running and the stairmaster. I then went after work and did my GRIT class. Today, I'm tired.

I didn't even bring my gym bag to work because I just straight up don't want to workout today. I'm exhausted, my muscles are tired (which is normally a feeling I chase), and despite having had 8 hours of sleep, I feel a bit like a zombie today. I know some schools of thought are that we ought to slow down and take rest days. But I know others are more hardcore and would say, suck it up! You want results!? Do work!

Basically... should I go home at get my gym bag? :(
What else can I do to achieve the results I want - other than just being patient haha.
It's not my nutrition. I watch that closely now. I'm below my calories and I'm getting them from healthy sources (85% of the time).

Replies

• mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I say slow down! We have become such an on demand society. Sure you can say suck it up and do it but like most you'll probably end up getting burned out and stop all together.

Slow and steady wins the race. Minor course corrections along the way, your body adapts slower that we all would like them to.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    swagoner94 wrote: »
    When I first got my gym membership, I went 3-4 times a week to the gym. I dedicated some days to toning my arms, another to legs, and another to cardio. Sometimes I would break up the muscle groups even more, but even on days I wasn't focused on cardio, I would do some form of it. Originally, I avoided running and stuck to the stairmaster. When I wasn't seeing the results I wanted, I changed my workouts.

I began going 5-6 times a week. I added some classes offered by the gym as well (GRIT Strength on Wednesdays, Cycle classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays). When I still wasn't seeing the results I wanted, I added running to this mix (and started focusing on my nutrition more). When I still wasn't seeing the results I wanted - and this is where I'm at now - I began to run even more and have even doubled up at the gym some days. Yesterday, for example, I went at lunch time and did some running and the stairmaster. I then went after work and did my GRIT class. Today, I'm tired.

I didn't even bring my gym bag to work because I just straight up don't want to workout today. I'm exhausted, my muscles are tired (which is normally a feeling I chase), and despite having had 8 hours of sleep, I feel a bit like a zombie today. I know some schools of thought are that we ought to slow down and take rest days. But I know others are more hardcore and would say, suck it up! You want results!? Do work!

What else can I do to achieve the results I want - other than just being patient haha.
    It's not my nutrition. I watch that closely now. I'm below my calories and I'm getting them from healthy sources (85% of the time).

Perhaps you should tell us what results you want...
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options

Sounds to me like you're heading for injury. You have to listen to your body, give it a day (or a few) of rest. Simply stay in your calorie goals and it won't hurt a bit as far as weight loss/maintenance is concerned.

What results are you looking for? Your profile shows you are wanting to lose weight, so I assume you're in a deficit? Killing yourself at the gym isn't likely helping all that much unless it's simply cardio. For me, cardio helps with weight loss in a deficit, and in maintenance or surplus of calories, weight training helps with muscle (and weight) gain. It's completely fine to do weight training while losing weight (and you probably should to an extent) but remember, you're not going to gain a ton of strength or muscle in a deficit. You'll gain some, but not a lot. So working harder at weight training may not be helping you in the long run.

Also, if you're going 2x a day 5 days a week, I'm assuming you're doing that to earn more calories for your intake? It's too much. At the most I did 90 minutes a day 6 days a week 1x a day, and I did it solely to improve performance and increase my calorie deficit all while earning more calories to eat (I'm a tall/big guy). I've since dropped it to 4-5x a week for 60-90 minutes and guess what.. no real change in loss/gain with one exception, I've gained more muscle in the last several months of less days a week than I did when I was exercising 6 days a week. That's because I wasn't giving my body time to recover and rebuild. My muscles were staying in a worn out state and it was counter productive. Adjust your calories if necessary, but I'd suggest dropping to no more than 5 days a week 1x a day for the gym. Try to spend no more than an hour there. Just my opinion. It sounds like you need rest plain and simple.
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my calories all back. Sometimes none at all.

Also, I should have clarified, I don't double up on my workouts every day. I do this maybe 1-3 times a week.

Results: I'm trying to get back to the body I had 3 years ago. I don't primarily care about weight, but I was about 30lbs lighter.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    I don't eat my calories all back. Sometimes none at all.

Are you confident you know your TDEE (including exercise)? How much of a deficit are you in each week? It's possible, that by not eating back your exercise calories or a portion of them, that you're in too high of a deficit. Regardless it comes down to this, listen to your body and rest for one, two, even three days or more if needed. If you watch your caloric intake during those rest days you won't gain weight from it, and even if you did a few days isn't going to do any lasting damage. Sometimes your body even needs the extra calories to repair itself. After you rest, go back to doing what you felt was working.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Doing more of what already isn't working, doesn't work. As you are seeing. I'm also guessing you haven't given any of this process that much time to see the obscure results you want either. Be patient.
    Follow a real lifting program (Strong curves is suggested repeatedly around here), do a moderate amount of cardio (don't bury yourself with it), eat half your calories back, and hold no more than a pound/week deficit. And be patient. Give it time, 4 weeks minimum, preferably 6 or 8.

Pretty much what I was going to say so I'll just belabor the point...
  • AshleyMFitness16
    AshleyMFitness16 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    You know your body better than anyone else, if you're feeling that tired, give it a rest! Rest days don't have to be sitting on the couch all day, go for a walk, do something involving light activity.
    Also, if you're not getting the results you want, it is probably your diet. Getting fit isn't just working out.
  • swagoner94
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! I really value it!

I may not have given any of my programs enough time to take a real effect. When I went 3-4 times a week, I was doing that for maybe 3 months. I gave the 5-6 times a week of mostly strength training and light cardio maybe one month, and have been doing what I'm doing now (with the classes and added cardio - I still do strength training at least two times a week) for just under a month. I have lost 6 pounds in January, so I am seeing some progress. But when I think in light of the total of 5-6 months of actively trying to lose weight and tone up, I just thought I'd see much more. I didn't weigh myself until the end of December, so I don't know how much weight loss has really happened in the first few months. Based on my crappy scale at home, I've lost 15lbs, but I don't really trust that scale! I'm going off one that we have at work (we're doing a weight loss competition - this isn't my motivation at all; I'm the host of the challenge so I'm mostly just organizing it for my coworkers).

As for nutrition, I recently started unintentionally doing raw till 4... I wasn't planning to, but I kept seeing these delicious looking smoothies and smoothie bowls on these vegan chick's Instagram feeds, so I started drinking nutrient packed, homemade, plant-based smoothies for breakfast and lunch and then eating a small, early hot dinner after work. I'm not vegan so I do get sufficient protein from eggs, dairy, and some meat.
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you have less then 20 pounds to lose, probably not the right advice but if you have more then that maybe your in the same boat then me:

When I work out (intenst strenght training + cardio program), even in a deficit, I barely see the weight go down.

My fastest lost was when I counted calories and walked 40 minutes minimum a day. I was literally melting.

I have no idea why, but sometime I think the intense work out was stressing my body? No idea.

I'd reduce the gym and focus on calories.
  • swagoner94
    Options
    Thanks friends! I do log my calories and generally, my smoothies come out to be just about the same amount of calories as a solid-food meal. I typically use Rice Milk for my smoothies and lots of kale. I find that the fruit does not have that many calories, sans mangoes and sometimes I use too much of it. Lots of sugar, yes. So far, they've sustained me through to my next meal. I haven't felt the need to snack in between. I try to stay below 1,200. If I workout, I allow myself to go just a bit beyond that.

I find it interesting that you, Veronique, lost more weight by walking and counting calories. I would think counting calories and higher intensity workouts would work best.

I definitely count my calories and I'm very aware of what I'm consuming. I'm really not too worried about that part (hence, posting in the exercise forum rather than the nutrition forum). Not saying it couldn't have something to do with it. But different things work for different people as far as nutrition goes, and so far, I really like the smoothie thing I've got going on! :)
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    You've lost 6 Lbs in under a month...if you feel as though you're not getting results I would suggest that your expectations are a little out of whack. That's very solid progress on the weight loss front...I think you need to have more realistic expectations, particularly with only 30 Lbs to lose.
  • swagoner94
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You've lost 6 Lbs in under a month...if you feel as though you're not getting results I would suggest that your expectations are a little out of whack. That's very solid progress on the weight loss front...I think you need to have more realistic expectations, particularly with only 30 Lbs to lose.

I'd say that in late December I weighed 169. I got down to 165 in a week and a half, and then then first week of January I was up to 166. For two weeks after (I weigh-in once a week) I was 166, and 166.4. It wasn't until this week that it went down to 163.2. I think I was thrown off and frustrated by plateauing at 166 for three weeks. I'm worried that I'll just be stuck at 163.2 for the next few weeks as well.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You are working out to the point where you are feeling poorly and not making any progress. It's time to dial it back since you are not benefit from the strategy you are currently trying. Rest more and make sure you are properly fueled.
  • Spliner1969
    Options
    If you have less then 20 pounds to lose, probably not the right advice but if you have more then that maybe your in the same boat then me:

When I work out (intenst strenght training + cardio program), even in a deficit, I barely see the weight go down.

My fastest lost was when I counted calories and walked 40 minutes minimum a day. I was literally melting.

I have no idea why, but sometime I think the intense work out was stressing my body? No idea.

I'd reduce the gym and focus on calories.

I lost most of my weight walking. Probably 80-85% of it. Maybe 15% was cardio done on a machine at high intensities. Maybe it's the sustained burns that seem to work better for some people? By walking I mean around 4mph so it was close to a slow jog, I think it's called Power or Fitness walking. I usually did it for an hour a day, and would pick the most hills I could find to walk up. My park has really nice path that is constant hills so it's difficulty I'd say is pretty high. I've since learned to jog part of it (I have back injuries and knee issues and thought I'd never run again) and do well but it's a tough path. Anyway, it's worth a try.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I'd say that in late December I weighed 169. I got down to 165 in a week and a half, and then then first week of January I was up to 166. For two weeks after (I weigh-in once a week) I was 166, and 166.4. It wasn't until this week that it went down to 163.2. I think I was thrown off and frustrated by plateauing at 166 for three weeks. I'm worried that I'll just be stuck at 163.2 for the next few weeks as well.

That's kind of how it works...weight loss isn't a linear function as much as we'd all like it to be...weight loss, and weight management in general is about watching trends over time which is why I use a separate app that provides me with a really nice graph with trend lines.

It's very normal to dump a good chunk of weight early on as you are consuming less calories, you start dumping glycogen and water...you also have less inherent waste in your system. It's very normal to just level off and from that point, given natural body weight fluctuations, you will find that some weeks you won't lose, some weeks will be smaller losses...some weeks will be bigger losses and some weeks will show a gain...but like I said, it's really about the overall trend over time, not the actual numbers.
  • swagoner94
    Options
    If I don't workout I'm strict to the 1,200. If I workout, I do go over. Not usually by too much though, meaning, I won't typically eat back every calorie I 'earned.'

cwolfman, I found your comment helpful. I will try to be mindful of my expectations.

To the others that talked about walking, maybe I will give this a try as well and at least experiment with this. It'd be difficult for me because I can't disassociate higher intensity with progress, but I'll try!