Chicken breast and sweet potato diet

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    2 lbs down from chicken breast and sweet potato diet.

It's the Easy Mac all over again! :D

Not that I would do this, but I'd do it over the Easy Mac diet for sure...
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Oh, for sure!
    Like I said earlier in this thread, I actually eat chicken and sweet potato twice a day some days. But I have no desire to eat only that.
    Plus, I'm a firm believer in the "calorie deficit" diet. ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I couldn't eat the same thing day after day for very long, but this diet is a lot less ridiculous than many I've seen proposed on MFP. It's seriously lacking in fats (which are an essential nutrient), but as long as the OP is getting a reasonable amount of them in his lunch meal, the macro profile isn't bad.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

It's early days, some of that will be water weight and just less waste in your system.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Agreed.

I couldn't eat the same thing day after day for very long, but this diet is a lot less ridiculous than many I've seen proposed on MFP. It's seriously lacking in fats (which are an essential nutrient), but as long as the OP is getting a reasonable amount of them in his lunch meal, the macro profile isn't bad.

I would put butter on my sweet potato... :D ...lots of butter...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Agreed.

I would put butter on my sweet potato... :D ...lots of butter...

And cinnamon and sugar...
  • jennjune2014
    jennjune2014 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For me. I need variety. Nutrician still can be flavorfull and satisfing.

proteins:ground turkey, fish, chicken, eggs, cheese, beef beans

Healthy carbs in moderation sweetpotatoe, whole wheat, plant based quinoa and brown rice.

I eat fajitas with out the tortilla. Can eat a whole wheat tortilla.

Turkey breast with french green beans sliced almons and a bit of bacon.

I have a website of recipes from a local dietician that works with bariatic patients

The way you fuel your body is best if its sustainable for long term .

Best of luck
    Jenn
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's a bit like wearing a self-imposed 'uniform' to work every day. You eliminate choices to free up mental space for other things. Except instead of running the risk of getting bored or your co-workers thinking you only have one set of clothing you (hopefully) wash every day, you have nutritional deficiencies to consider.

But let's be honest - don't know about you, but sweet potatoes and chicken are a lot better than what I normally eat when I'm not tracking it!
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options

It's early days, some of that will be water weight and just less waste in your system.

Haters gonna hate!
  • mhlew
    Options

Congrats! But keep in mind that none of us doubted that you could lose weight on this diet. It's really more a question of whether this is a good idea to pursue for any length of time. I'm still holding out hope that you'll finish this week's food off, and then reconsider your approach. Perhaps you could start adding foods back in a little at a time if that makes you feel more in control. Maybe add a salad to each day next week. Then add some fruit the week after. Etc. Just a thought.

Put it this way – it's a hell of a lot better than the way I've been eating for years. Please note that I said I eat this for breakfast and dinner only want usually consists of some type of chicken salad or something. Didn't feel like going into full detail but just giving you guys the "meat and potatoes" of what I plan to do.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just discovered how easy it is to bake chicken breast so I'm going to try eating 1 chicken breast and a 1/3 of sweet potato for breakfast and dinner (until I get bored of it) and for lunch just a healthy option since I'm not home during lunch hours.

Anyone ever done this and had success, along with exxersize?

No, I would hate having that little variety. Glad you are only doing it until you get bored with it, though. I agree that chicken and sweet potato is tasty -- you might want to add some veg and some source of fat too, since chicken breast (assuming it's the skinless type) is quite low fat.

I didn't slam it -- just said the above.

I think the idea that eating the same thing every day is extra healthy is wrong, but if it's just convenient and you aren't that into food/cooking, whatever, that's cool.

I wouldn't question that one could lose weight that way. Earlier this year we had threads about the only potatoes for a year diet and a lot of people noted that you would lose weight that way since you'd lose interest in eating if it was only potatoes all the time. I think the same would apply to any no variety diet, although you'd have to be able to ignore the many other options out there, of course.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I cook a bunch of chicken and bake several sweet potatoes to eat through the workweek because I enjoy them/they're macro friendly/easy to throw together, but I couldn't commit to twice a day every single day non-stop.

Actually, I COULD be happy with the potatoes, but I'd have to switch it up with another meat or fish.....
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I adore chicken & sweet potatoes! I would eat the whole danged sweet potato though, will keep you fuller longer.

Outside of that, just make sure you're eating enough calories.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Haha interesting variety of comments and appreciate all the responses! I'm glad to hear that I have super powers and can eat chicken and sweet potatoes a lot longer than most! I will let u guys know how it goes.

I'm gonna depart from other and say you have a sound plan and it has a good point.

Look, if I have a hard time controlling my eating, I'm gonna look for reasons. I'm gonna do things that promote less eating and do not contradict in behavior. To me, eating ice cream or tasty foods most of the time is just putting up more hurdles in front of you. And I'm not going around all day thinking about what to make, to eat.

If I have a full control over my eating behavior, then it's different.

Taste is all preference anyway. Even water can be made to taste better than soda.

And, things always have a cost and a benefit to them. If you "suffer" plain chicken and potatoes now, you'll earn credit to spend it on other things later, hopefully better. I eat plain sandwiches a few times a week so that I can eat out all the way with friends on weekend or at least grill my big favorite steak. LOL. I suppose I can eat a tiny piece of steak everyday like a typical daily counter but that's not my personality. What's your personality like?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

Congrats! But keep in mind that none of us doubted that you could lose weight on this diet. It's really more a question of whether this is a good idea to pursue for any length of time. I'm still holding out hope that you'll finish this week's food off, and then reconsider your approach. Perhaps you could start adding foods back in a little at a time if that makes you feel more in control. Maybe add a salad to each day next week. Then add some fruit the week after. Etc. Just a thought.

Put it this way – it's a hell of a lot better than the way I've been eating for years. Please note that I said I eat this for breakfast and dinner only want usually consists of some type of chicken salad or something. Didn't feel like going into full detail but just giving you guys the "meat and potatoes" of what I plan to do.

Glad to read this. Also happy to see you responding with some humour. I worry that people who come here with ideas that the community doesn't agree with, feel a need to battle when people start to pile on. If you're getting the nutrients you need then there's not much left to discuss.

Except...Are you logging your food? You'll find it helpful, not only from the nutrition standpoint, but as additional info over and above what the scale is telling you. Many people get "undue credit" on the scales initially (it would be difficult to have a 7000 calorie deficit in 2 days), and then get "ripped off" later when they have continued eating at a deficit but their water levels normalize somewhat. Knowing the numbers behind it all can make the process less frustrating.
  • mhlew
    Options

Haters gonna hate!

Haters just being realistic. It's what, 2 days?

Edit: Correction. 1 day. Nobody loses 2lbs of fat in a day.

Well since you're basing all your facts on no information, maybe if you would have asked me that you would ever know and I've been doing this for slightly over a week now. Boom!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, what did you normally eat before the chicken and sweet potato diet?
  • mhlew
    Options
    I'm curious, what did you normally eat before the chicken and sweet potato diet?

Well like many of you we are all in the same boat and have made plenty of bad decisions. My original post I was just shining light on how easy it is I discovered to bake chicken breast.

But I won't eat a lot of ground turkey, brown rice, grilled veggies, chicken salads. I'm on the road right now pulled over so in a nutshell that's what I eat if you'd like more detailed info just drop me a message and I'd be more than happy to explain in detail when I have time