kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Boring as heck.
  • mhlew
    mhlew Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Boring as heck.

Food boring, losing weight not boring. Pick and choose your battles my friend.

FYI- in my opinion it's not that boring in regards to my food.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    mhlew wrote: »
    I'm curious, what did you normally eat before the chicken and sweet potato diet?

Well like many of you we are all in the same boat and have made plenty of bad decisions. My original post I was just shining light on how easy it is I discovered to bake chicken breast.

But I won't eat a lot of ground turkey, brown rice, grilled veggies, chicken salads. I'm on the road right now pulled over so in a nutshell that's what I eat if you'd like more detailed info just drop me a message and I'd be more than happy to explain in detail when I have time

I guess my real question is why can you not just eat a modified version of whatever your typical diet is as opposed to being so restrictive? I'm sure many people could lose weight successfully by eating only chicken and sweet potatoes. Personally this would set me up for a serious binge. I like all the foods and lose weight with a lot of variety.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Why tho? You can eat whatever you want as long as you have a calorie deficit.
  • mhlew
    Options
    Why tho? You can eat whatever you want as long as you have a calorie deficit.

Would this not be considered "whatever I want"??. This is what I want.
  • mhlew
    Options
    I'm curious, what did you normally eat before the chicken and sweet potato diet?

Well like many of you we are all in the same boat and have made plenty of bad decisions. My original post I was just shining light on how easy it is I discovered to bake chicken breast.

But I won't eat a lot of ground turkey, brown rice, grilled veggies, chicken salads. I'm on the road right now pulled over so in a nutshell that's what I eat if you'd like more detailed info just drop me a message and I'd be more than happy to explain in detail when I have time

I guess my real question is why can you not just eat a modified version of whatever your typical diet is as opposed to being so restrictive? I'm sure many people could lose weight successfully by eating only chicken and sweet potatoes. Personally this would set me up for a serious binge. I like all the foods and lose weight with a lot of variety.

Well I would just say things work differently for others. What works for me may not work for you.

This works for me because it's already made, I enjoy it, and leaves the thinking out of what I'm going to make.

I think next week I will switch to ground turkey (with mixed veggies) and sweet potato.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I ate chicken and sweet potato and green beans twice a day for a couple of months on a prep plan and I still haven't been able to eat sweet potato since. The more you restrict yourself the more likely it is you will end up losing the plot. HOWEVER - I found that all the people on this same diet as me - a) who previously had had EDs or b) didn't care about food in terms of taste or social stuff and saw food purely as fuel - were successful. Me? I'm must be too weak minded to force myself to eat the same *kitten* every single day at the same time for months on end. I ended up binge eating and almost developing an ED myself. Still haven't 100% got over the experience.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Well I would just say things work differently for others. What works for me may not work for you.

This works for me because it's already made, I enjoy it, and leaves the thinking out of what I'm going to make.

I think next week I will switch to ground turkey (with mixed veggies) and sweet potato.
    Depends on your definition of "work". A diet that is severely limited in variety cannot provide you with the all the nutrients your body needs to function effectively in the long term, regardless of how good those limited foods are by themselves. It isn't healthy, physically or mentally, IMO, to take this approach to weight loss or nutrition.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,374 Member
    Options
    It takes me a long time to get bored of the same food. We have chicken most days. before mfp, I ate chicken breast, rice & veggies for 3 yrs. I don't need a lot of variety & during the hot summer, it's so hot the only reason i eat is because I have to. I usually switch between the same 5-6 foods every day & it's not because I'm loosing, I've always been this way. once in a while I'll make something different but it's cause hubby wants something different.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat the same subset of foods. Now its not the exact same thing every night but its about the same 10/12ish meals day in and day out with some variances in ingredients . I do this because...

It's what I like.
    It's easy to eyeball the food portions instead of weighing.
    When I get to maintenance, I'm HOPING to eat intuitively and not count/log so my foods will be pretty much calculated in my head so to speak.

When I vary from these foods it's because I'm going out to eat, which I do 2 times a week.

I think if your overall diet is nutritious why not. Maybe vary the sweet potato with other veggies once in awhile:).

• lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options

I think it's great that you have a plan and wish you the best. You might want to make sure you add some fat such as olive oil or butter, as your plan is very low fat.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Good looking veggies! Also, I have the same china pattern as you :smiley:
  • mhlew
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Good looking veggies! Also, I have the same china pattern as you :smiley:

Hate doing dishes. Love paper plates! Are the environmentalist haters gonna come after me now? Lol
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Meh, they are free to come after me, assuming they're here to wash the dishes!
  • mhlew
    Options

Depends on your definition of "work". A diet that is severely limited in variety cannot provide you with the all the nutrients your body needs to function effectively in the long term, regardless of how good those limited foods are by themselves. It isn't healthy, physically or mentally, IMO, to take this approach to weight loss or nutrition.

Common dude you're making it much more complicated than it really is. I have tried and failed eating "healthy" so I will repeat as I already mentioned in an earlier post. This is MUCH better than some of the choices I've made in the past and this is "working" for me today, right now, in this present moment. I will worry about the future when I get there.

• mhlew
    Options

OP isnt eating ONLY chicken and sweet potato though.

As his photo shows (yummy looking dinner btw, OP) he is having other veg instead of sweet potato sometimes.

And he only ever said he ate chicken breast and sweet potato twice a day - he eats one other meal of something different and possibly snacks as well. And possibly drinks nutritious drinks too.

and he didnt say he would do it forever - he reccognises on page 1 that he will eventually get bored with it and presumably swap to other things then.

Need for variety is individual and OP hasnt said everyone should do this, only that it appeals to him (for now) - if OP is happy with this,and his total diet is at correct calorie level and he has other foods with the chicken and potato - seems fine to me.

and I can see why some people cannot eat a modified version of their previous diet - 1) they might have trigger foods they find hard to moderate 2) the previous diet, in smaller portions , might not be satiating.

Wow I am inpressed! Thanks for summarizing everything I've been trying to say in one post!