Hard to eat healthy when you don't have $$$$$

Options

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    If you are broke Jack Monroe is the one to turn to https://cookingonabootstrap.com/ She was desperately poor with a 2 year old at one stage. Plus the food is really really nice Also https://www.budgetbytes.com/ is really great for low cost great and well tasting food
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I do not want to insult anyone, but I think a lot of people are just plain lazy. I understand when you are pressed for time and have to hit the drive thru once in a while. It is a hell of a lot cheaper to buy a whole chicken, roast it, and stretch it for 3 or 4 meals, depending on the # of mouths you are feeding. I used to feed a family of 8 this way. I used to make chicken soup from the leftovers with a bag of frozen veggies, and some rice. Also, pay attention to what fruits and veggies are in season at the time. I can find organic greens for 99 cents a bunch when they are in season and eat salads for 3 days off of it. You cannot drive thru Zaxby's without paying close to $8.00 for a salad. Dry beans are cheap, rice is cheap, eggs are cheap, potatoes are cheap, all healthy. I take my Sundays and cook meals for the week, I get tired and do not feel like cooking after work. Last Sunday I made roasted butternut squash with quinoa, minestrone soup, pasta salad with kale and fresh vegetables. I have not run out of food yet. All it takes is a plan, you can do it!

^^YES^^ I use to purchase 2 cooked chickens from Walmart ($5-$6 each). I would eat that for breakfast and lunch Monday - Thursday and still have some left over by Thursday evening that I would make soup, quesadillas, burritos, etc with the leftovers for dinner for my family. Thursdays use to be my -Throw together leftover meals based around the chicken, and it was always delicious.

• FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Another item for when you are short on time is muffin pan fritattas. You can put in really any leftover vegetables you have. I've used broccoli, asparagus, spinach, and my 6 year old even added extra pepperoni we had in the fridge one time. They've done fine in the refrigerator and you just have to pop one out in the morning to have a one-handed source of morning protein.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    People seem to be going off about how you can lose weight regardless of budget. The original post is about eating healthy.
  • flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I do not want to insult anyone, but I think a lot of people are just plain lazy

^^^ This

I cut my food budget when I went from eating poorly to eating well, and that was me buying all fresh produce ... instead of factory-made meals and endless supplies of cookies and cakes.

I could cut budget even further if I went to frozen veg, and frozen chicken breasts, for example.

Sample dinner:
    - boneless, skinless breast, in the oven for 20-25 mins
    - brown rice (bought in bulk), steams for 40-45 mins on stovetop; you could cut it to 20 min with white rice
    - fresh (or frozen) vegs (brocolli, spinach, kale, ... ) 5-10 mins steamed on stovetop

So, in 30 mins, I can have a freshly cooked, healthy meal. And I'm not standing over the pots/oven that whole time. 10 mins of work, tops, and in the other 20 mins I change, sort out clothes for the next day, etc. Just watch one fewer 30 min TV show and you've found the time for a fresh, hot, simple meal.

If you really want to do it, you'll make the time.

• not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Looks like everyone's thoroughly covered this, but oh well I'll add my 2 cents.
    1. Weight loss only requires a calorie deficit. If you're eating currently, you simply eat less. (ETA - I realize the OP didn't mention weight loss, but I wanted to include this anyway.)
    2. There's a lot relatively cheap "healthy" food options. 5 lb bags of frozen veggies are a few bucks and will last a long time. Chicken is pretty cheap, you can buy the untrimmed for even less, and it just takes a few minutes to trim it up yourself. ($1.99/pound where I live, that's enough for a few meals.) Rice/beans, you can buy uncooked very cheap in large quantities and it was last FOREVER!
    3. Throw all the above in a crockpot overnight/while at work. Return for instant meal.
  • legsnbacon
    legsnbacon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    legsnbacon wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I'm sorry, not only is this not true, it's being used as an excuse unjustly.

I absolutely guarantee you can lose weight regardless of budget or time.

This is helpful how?

It's just a fact. *SHRUG*

There are a million posts on myfitnesspal about how to eat healthy on a budget, cheap shopping, recipes, and more. The search feature exists for a reason.

Hell, one can easily google "how to eat healthy on a budget". We are all busy. We all could use more money. We all could use more time.
    I do not want to insult anyone, but I think a lot of people are just plain lazy

Not only when it comes to cooking, shopping, planning, etc. but also when it comes to researching...

Oh you must be one of those people who believe in alternative facts because that's just an opinion.
  • Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Anyone saying it is cheaper to eat healthy has obviously never been poor...
    Sure, maybe it's cheaper in the long run to purchase health food and ingredients in bulk. But if I have 10$ to my
    Name I'm not thinking about the long run. I don't have 20$ to spend on a huge bag of rice that would admittedly last me a long time, but if I don't have the money... I don't have it.
  • Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    YOu were eating before, when you were not trying to lose weight - yes? If so, since you need to eat less now, it should not really be a problem.

This. You should actually be saving money because you're eating less now.

exactly. if the only thing you do is eat less than exactly what you were eating before - you will lose weight AND save money. period.

Not being able to afford food is not really a good diet :)
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Rowan09 wrote: »
    YOu were eating before, when you were not trying to lose weight - yes? If so, since you need to eat less now, it should not really be a problem.

This. You should actually be saving money because you're eating less now.

exactly. if the only thing you do is eat less than exactly what you were eating before - you will lose weight AND save money. period.

Not being able to afford food is not really a good diet :)

If a person cannot afford food to begin with, is eating "healthy" really going to be a priority though?
    If I could only have one meal today, or was offered assistance, I'm not going to stop and say "on second thought, this is processed/unhealthy/high fat, I don't think I'll accept the help." I would gratefully accept.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    several people in this thread have commented about learning healthy cheap food techniques because of being on welfare and similar

yes - I've been at the stage where I've had less than $20 in my checking account, 3 days until payday and needing to put gas in the car - it can be done - its about being smart and taking advantage of sales to stock up when you can (i.e. a 10lb bag of rice of normally $20, but maybe its on sale for $13 one day and you have some money that you have stashed away - that would be a healthier purchase and more lasting in the long run than fast food)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    People seem to be going off about how you can lose weight regardless of budget. The original post is about eating healthy.

plenty have posted how to eat healthy on a budget...eating healthy really isn't expensive.

Not if you shop in the right place. See my first comment further up.
  • CrazyCatLady916
    CrazyCatLady916 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I check out the sales and build my meals around frozen vegetables and affordable starches/grains (potatoes, pasta, oats, rice), cook dried beans in the Crockpot and freeze them to use over a period of time.

^^same here, hubby is out of work so things are tight but we try to make the best of it
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Low budget friendly foods where I live are oatmeal, tuna, whole chicken or chicken thighs, dry beans, lentils, rice, pasta, bread, peanut butter, eggs, potatoes, carrots, apples, ground turkey, cabbage, onions, canned tomatoes, frozen vegetables

Meal planning is a good idea if you have a tight budget.

A healthy diet is not a specific list of food but everything you consume working together to meet your body's needs. You need to look at nutrients of foods you eat and how they fit your whole day. There are a lot of ways to "eat healthy".
    http://www.vanderbilt.edu/recreationandwellnesscenter/wellness/nutrition_corner/nutrition-101/

You should start with just logging what you normally eat and sticking to your calorie goal. You want to eat in a way you can sustain. You can alter your diet in small steps like getting more protein or having more vegetables on your plate.

Typically I eat things like this:
    Breakfast- low prep foods like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, cottage cheese
    Lunch- things like sandwich, salad, or dinner leftovers
    Dinner- something different every night of the month. Soup once a week is a good dollar stretcher.
    Snacks- things like fruit, chips, popcorn, pretzels, chocolate, cookies, granola bar, carrots, celery, broccoli, trail mix, deviled eggs, pickles, cottage cheese

http://www.budgetbytes.com

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490067/most-healthy-food-options-are-very-expensive-and-im-on-a-very-poor-budget-what-to-do/p1
This discussion has been closed.