200lbs when will the weightloss be noticeable?

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    5'5" and I got the first comments at 160 lbs or so.
  • Antmaril
    Antmaril Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I started at 200 (5'6") and am now 171. I'll be honest - not too many people have said anything about my weight loss. I am apple shaped. I notice it and am no longer wearing plus sized clothing, but I have only received comments from a handful of people. Maybe they don't want to embarrass me. I am not sure. I would like to lose another ten pounds. That should make my weight loss more noticeable.

Good luck!
  • qstneverything
    qstneverything Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I started at about 210 pounds (95 kilos) and I started getting comments when I got to 175 (80 kgs), which is also when I started noticing myself. As I'm above average height for a female it means I have to lose a lot more for it to become noticeable but hey, on the plus side if I gain a couple of kilos it's not noticeable at all.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I started out at 212 lbs. I am 5'1". It took about 45 lbs. for the dropped-jaw, can't-help-but-blurt-out-a-comment stuff started happening routinely from friends and acquaintances.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It depends on how observant those people are and how inclined they are to comment. It's different for everyone, some people might say something right away, and others might never say anything. Don't hang your self-worth on it!
  • oceandaisies
    oceandaisies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and started at 238 lbs on June 1st. I am down 54 lbs, at 184 lbs now, and the last few weeks is the first time people have commented (coworkers and family). I have recently bought some new clothes that fit my new size and I think when I was wearing the baggy bigger clothes it was also less obvious. I am kinda pear shaped, I think, and myself have noticed my face has thinned a bit as well in the last month or so.
  • yourfriendlaurie
    yourfriendlaurie Posts: 32 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and started at 250 (also a pear-shaped body). For the first 50 lbs no one noticed and my clothing size didn't even really change (so proud of myself for sticking with it anyway!), but after about 195 I started noticing a big difference and by about 180-185 my pants size was dropping regularly with lots of compliments from every direction and a BIG change in the mirror. I'm now 172 and feel like a different person and am wearing a full 5-7 sizes smaller than I was at my highest weight. So I don't think you have too far to go!

But some people avoid commenting on weight loss because they worry it's rude (and some people are just not very observant) so try to not take it too personally if people don't comment. :)
  • yourfriendlaurie
    yourfriendlaurie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    scr183 wrote: »
    This is something that has so many variables involved that it's all but impossible to know. It will depend on everything from how and where you carry your weight, how and where it starts to come off first, even how you dress/your clothes fit, how often you see people (people you see daily may be slower to notice a gradual change), and on and on. For me personally, I started getting comments about 20 pounds in from co-workers, etc. (I am a little shorter than you but started at roughly the same weight). I also carried my extra weight pretty proportionally all over, and mostly lost in the same fashion (I'm working on the last few pounds now, and those are mostly in my belly. Grr.). You may have a similar experience - or it may be much sooner or later. It's hard to say.

What I would suggest to you, and what I wish I'd done early on but didn't, is to take starting measurements and pictures. Then take updated versions of each every month or so - those things may help you see progress that the scale doesn't show. You got this!

Edited for typo.

Another REALLY helpful thing is to take VIDEO of yourself! Even if it's a video with your phone of yourself spinning around in front of a mirror. It feels silly but you will be amazed at the difference when you compare it later. Sometimes with a photo you can think later that it was just a bad angle or flattering lighting, but with a video there is no denying how different you look and move.
  • suzievv
    suzievv Posts: 410 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm one who doesn't ever comment. I liked the person just for who they were, before their weight loss, and I like them the same after. Their body is their business. And I figure that they lost weight for themselves, for their health, not to receive compliments from me. Just throwing that out there. So please don't be too hard on people if they don't comment. :)
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I think it is roughly after losing 10% of your starting weight and many people's anecdotal evidence in the responses seem to confirm. However, there are always caveats...

If you lose from your face quickly, people will notice more quickly. I also find around 200 lb my weight loss (i'm 5'7" and an apple) get noticeable even if I've only lost 10 lbs to get there. Something magic about that number for me -fat loss or redistribution. I get really stuck trying to get below it. Once I do; I can keep losing weight, but it takes focused effort.
  • Nappingcat97
    Nappingcat97 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Tricky question, but it's one I've eagerly studied. My completely non-scientific theory is 20% of your weight. People will notice your energy and maybe few physical clues (skin, hair, even your gait) rather quickly, though few will mention it. And if you lose a few pounds, an acquaintance whom hasn't seen you in a while might notice. But family and coworkers will likely not notice -- like watching grass or children grow. I swear, the day I hit my 50# loss (over two years, without letting anyone but my wife know that I was actively losing weight), I got a lot of "did you lose weight" comments. Checking around a bit, I found that people seem to notice -- it's something in the face, I think.
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That's really interesting thanks
  • myfightforfitness
    myfightforfitness Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    suzievv wrote: »
    I'm one who doesn't ever comment. I liked the person just for who they were, before their weight loss, and I like them the same after. Their body is their business. And I figure that they lost weight for themselves, for their health, not to receive compliments from me. Just throwing that out there. So please don't be too hard on people if they don't comment. :)

You're so right I've heard people saying that they don't want to come across rude by commenting on someone's weight, even though they notice it quite early on :)
  • RavinJM
    RavinJM Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb to think about when it comes to this is (if you are working out and eating at a deficit):

30 days: you start to notice a big difference in your athletic ability. You can walk/run farther, climb a flight of stairs without loosing breath, really start to push hard in a workout.

60 days: you start to notice changes in your bodies composition and the way your cloths fit.

90 to 120 days: others will start to comment on the changes they see.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I started heavier- around 240. It was 30 pounds before anyone said anything, and 50 before it was consistent. To be fair, my clothing size didn't change much between then either. It took me more than 30 lbs just to lose a pants size. People were definitely cautious. While I lost weight slowly, people were still careful to preface their thoughts with a hope that I wasn't ill.

Its definitely tricky to figure out what to say. I'll only say things to people who I know are trying. I avoid statements about looking good (ie, you didn't look good before) and stick with compliments and awe about how hard they've been working.
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, hope you're all doing well. Now before I get into my question I know I shouldn't change my lifestyle to receive comments from people, I'm just curious about others experiences.

So I'm currently 200lbs, 5'6" and have a pear shaped body.

I was wondering how much weight I will have to lose until people will notice a change?

Has anyone who started at my weight recall when people noticed your weight loss? And have any idea when people will notice mine?

Thanks !

Too many times in my past my motivation was to look better to other people. Personally, this should just be a byproduct of your goals. Do this for yourself, do this for your health. People can really be a powerful force in discouragement. I did that for years and until I started focusing on only me, I did not succeed. I took a close look at what obesity was doing to my health and what my quality of life was going to be like the older I get. It is a seriously scary proposition. I'm getting a bit older now so I see my siblings and my piers and where there health is going and I want to run in the opposite direction. The weight will come off and you will succeed but if your motivation is the feed back you'll get from others then you're building your goals on something external that you cannot control. Find your own personal motivations. Every 10 pounds really makes a difference in your health and how you feel just doing everyday tasks.

My goal in 2017 is to lose enough weight that I am no longer considered obese, clinically speaking. Yeah, I'd love to be at normal weight but notice what sports teams always do. They don't focus on the Superbowl, they focus on winning the next game. Once you lose enough that you are no longer obese, you can make new goals and take it further.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I started out at 211 lbs. I got my first comment at 28 lbs lost and then at 30 lbs, everyone was commenting.

It's different for everyone though.

This is about the same as my experience (and starting weight) as well.
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Different for everyone and depends on how much you have to lose, but for me people tend to comment when I drop a size, but probably mostly because I'm wearing clothes they're not used to seeing me wear and fit better than the baggier clothes I was both hiding in and shrinking under.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I started at 222lb. I got my first comments at 20lb, and most everyone had noticed by 45lb. Although that is a bit of an assumption on my part. Few people were commenting directly, but I noticed many people were discussing their own weight and attempts at weight loss.