Beer or Vodka?

Options

Replies

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    It's not junk science. Alcohol has effects on fat loss, you just chose to believe what reinforces what you want to do. Anyone is free to enjoy alcohol but they have to accept that it comes with slowed progress.

It's junk science. Calories in, calories out.

But...alcohol often leads to bad food choices as your inhibitions drop and less activity the night before.

It depends a lot on how many you have.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »
    It's not junk science. Alcohol has effects on fat loss, you just chose to believe what reinforces what you want to do. Anyone is free to enjoy alcohol but they have to accept that it comes with slowed progress.

But...alcohol often leads to bad food choices as your inhibitions drop and less activity the night before.

not to mention the fact that once you start drinking your ability to stop drinking declines.

I have a male friend who literally drank 5,000 calories worth of alcohol in one weekend.... That doesn't include the greasy food needed to "heal" his hangover.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I love Miller Lite (96 calories per 12 oz) but it's a diet killer. Is it better to switch to vodka (65 calories per 1 oz) for the waistline even though it has 35% alcohol vs 4.2% for Miller Lite? At what point do you trade calories for liver function?

With that strategy I ended up drinking twice as much (both because it's lighter and easier to drink and because you start making poor decisions quicker) so it didn't work for me. Personally I'd stick with the beer.

Yeah, that became an issue for me too :lol:
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    That was not my original statement first of all. Second yes it is a junk science because calories are not all that matters when it comes to losing weight matter how you look at it. Even if you're looking at from pure just a weight loss standpoint and not a matter of body composition better calories will yield better results.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    That was not my original statement first of all. Second yes it is a junk science because calories are not all that matters when it comes to losing weight matter how you look at it. Even if you're looking at from pure just a weight loss standpoint and not a matter of body composition better calories will yield better results.

Sorry dude, that's just not factually correct.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Another thing, you people have a habit of putting words in mouths. I never said it was impossible to lose weight while eating in a caloric deficit made of bad calories. I originally stated that better results would be had by consuming better calories. And I also said that losing weight isn't as simple as consuming x amount of calories.

That's not at all what you said. You made blanket, erroneous statements like "calories in calories out is junk science". And then also that the type of calories is what matters, which is again, incorrect, when looking purely at weight loss which is what CICO is addressing. An energy balance. It is not meant to address nutrition or to imply that all foods are the same.

For weight loss, a calorie deficit is all that matters. For overall health, a balanced, nutrient dense diet is important. But stating calories in calories out for weight loss, is not saying that nutrition doesn't matter.

All. Of. This.
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ok you can continue to believe what you believe, that's not my problem.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    Yes but the point they were trying to make is that calories are calories, and it doesn't matter where they come from. If that were the case then a balanced diet would not make a difference.

Perhaps because an all vodka diet is a good way to die quickly from alcohol poisoning if you drink all your calories. The question was which to drink. You decided to make it into a if you drink at all it will negatively affect your weight loss. It won't, but or health reasons it would be unwise to drink a lot, just as it would be unhealthy for a person who does not have weight issues to drink excessively.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Well if "calories are calories" why would it matter if it was in moderation or not. Now you're contradicting yourself.

At what point did I ever say proper nutrition wasn't important...it's very impotant to general health and as an avid cyclist, it's also important to my fitness performance...

Never said otherwise..
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

not to mention the fact that once you start drinking your ability to stop drinking declines.

I have a male friend who literally drank 5,000 calories worth of alcohol in one weekend.... That doesn't include the greasy food needed to "heal" his hangover.

Maybe for you the bolded is true, but I can drink 1 or 2 drinks and my inhibitions don't drop, and my ability to stop drinking also doesn't decline. Some of us can drink one or two, in moderation, and stop. We're not all alcoholics or binge drinkers.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is not really a good idea as part of a weight loss programme, but I have one 'reward' day each week (dislike the term cheat) when I can have it if I want...
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »

Maybe for you the bolded is true, but I can drink 1 or 2 drinks and my inhibitions don't drop, and my ability to stop drinking also doesn't decline. Some of us can drink one or two, in moderation, and stop. We're not all alcoholics or binge drinkers.

Keyword being "some". As our inhibitions drop, especially in social situations, i'd say this is pretty uncommon... atleast in my part of the world.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Vodka is fine, but why not go for something with some decent flavor to it, like bourbon or scotch or a nice cognac? Unless the only pleasure you derive from drinking is getting drunk. Then I don't recommend it at all. That way lies madness. Literally.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »

Keyword being "some". As our inhibitions drop, especially in social situations, i'd say this is pretty uncommon... atleast in my part of the world.

Well, I guess in my part of the world there are more people who can moderate, or just don't care to drink much at all. Most people I know don't have issues with drinking. You made a blanket statement that sounded like for everyone, once you start drinking your ability to stop declines. I'm pointing out, that it isn't the case for everyone as you implied. Maybe for some, but most people I know can drink responsibly.
  • mbucherl
    mbucherl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I would drink anything besides Miller Lite.

I had the most tremendous barley wine last night and I would ride another hour to have those those 300 calories again!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Calories in calories out is actually junk science lady. See how far it gets you.

It got me to 106 pounds lost. I'd say that's pretty far.

To OP, the difference between the two drinks is 30 calories. Barely a diet killer. Drink whatever you like. If 12 oz of beer (or whatever amount you consider reasonable) is where you stop and you aren't mindlessly overmunching under the influence.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I would say drink whichever you prefer. I don't drink a lot, so I prefer to drink a good craft beer or glass of wine rather than a lite beer - but if you like Miller Lite, go for it. Just keep it within your planned calorie intake.