Binge Eating Disorder and Food Addiction

Options
I have never been addicted to drugs or alcohol or tobacco, but when I try to eat right and eliminate fast food....I swear it's like I'm a crack addict who needs my fix. I constantly crave "bad" food and a lot of it. When I have any money available, I blow it all on food. It's crazy.

If I went to an AA meeting having never had trouble with alcohol, they'd throw me out.

I feel so alone.

Replies

• joycelyngray
    joycelyngray Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @ekbcpa your not alone there are millions of people and me who battle with the same disorder / disease. Eaters Anonymous site has good info.
  • LushFix
    LushFix Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am also a binge eater and have just got back on track, feel free to add me!
  • Minifit00
    Minifit00 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not a binge eater. I'm more of a bulimic/anorexic. Lol first time I'm doing this so please don't judge me. Just looking for support and motivation
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    ekbcpa wrote: »
    I have never been addicted to drugs or alcohol or tobacco, but when I try to eat right and eliminate fast food....I swear it's like I'm a crack addict who needs my fix. I constantly crave "bad" food and a lot of it. When I have any money available, I blow it all on food. It's crazy.

If I went to an AA meeting having never had trouble with alcohol, they'd throw me out.

I feel so alone.

You will be welcomed at an open AA meeting, closed ones are for alcoholics only. I've been to AA meetings where OA members were present because not all communities have Overeaters Anonymous groups. Sounds like you're open to AA as a possible solution, check it out - you'll hear people describe how you feel and you won't feel alone. AA was the first time I felt I belonged anywhere.
  • SherriLynnLeeman
    SherriLynnLeeman Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya! We all have our addictions in life, some not so graceful as others... you're not alone and you CAN over come!
  • terrillscott
    terrillscott Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    After reading this, I feel like this might be the place for me. I've known my eating is emotional, I kind of know my triggers to binge, but it's accepting what it is. An addiction. It makes sense as in some other areas of my life I am prone to excess. I feel like you folks would "get" me and support not judge. Glad I found this thread.
  • sarajeannemitchell
    Options
    I get you totally :)

• aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You are definitely not alone. With me, i am eating very little and losing weight. Than I begin to start feeling good. Then something will trigger me, like someone's birthday, stress, a holiday, someone baking a delicious cake and bringing it to office for everyone, etc and that will start making me feel again out of control. For example, last week someone at work had a birthday cake. Everyone had a slice and so did I. Big mistake! It started me off that all day I could not get enough to eat. I started binging on junk food. This binge lasted for at least 5 to 6 days. It stopped when I started feeling sick to my stomach. That binge caused me to gain at least 6lbs. With any kind of junk food, cake, cookies, nuts, potato chips, pretzels makes me feel like a drug addict with no control. A normal person would have had the slice of cake, enjoyed it and that would have been it. I can't control it. I find junk food to be irrestible. It's very difficult be all or nothing and feeling so out of control. Now I am back to eating healthy and starting to lose some of that 6 lbs. But it is so difficult.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    aimjolie wrote: »
    You are definitely not alone. With me, i am eating very little and losing weight. Than I begin to start feeling good. Then something will trigger me, like someone's birthday, stress, a holiday, someone baking a delicious cake and bringing it to office for everyone, etc and that will start making me feel again out of control. For example, last week someone at work had a birthday cake. Everyone had a slice and so did I. Big mistake! It started me off that all day I could not get enough to eat. I started binging on junk food. This binge lasted for at least 5 to 6 days. It stopped when I started feeling sick to my stomach. That binge caused me to gain at least 6lbs. With any kind of junk food, cake, cookies, nuts, potato chips, pretzels makes me feel like a drug addict with no control. A normal person would have had the slice of cake, enjoyed it and that would have been it. I can't control it. I find junk food to be irrestible. It's very difficult be all or nothing and feeling so out of control. Now I am back to eating healthy and starting to lose some of that 6 lbs. But it is so difficult.

That is totally me.its soo bad.cuz because of this the weigth loss journey keeps
    getting longer.
  • Lukdbestucan16
    Lukdbestucan16 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's taken a long time for me to admit I was addicted to food. It's even worse because I love to cook and only have me to cook for.

I've considered going to OA meetings, but there is no way I'm going to adopt a 12-step program where I pray to a higher power to stop me from putting food in my mouth. I may still go anyway because it might be good for me to talk with others who share the same addiction.

What makes things especially hard for me is that I cannot change most of what I hate about how I look.....which makes it VERY, VERY EASY to say, "Screw this. I'm going to be seen as a big guy even if I eat 500 calories a day" and go get something to eat (and often, something to drink, as well, if you know what I mean).

One other strange thing I've noticed...if I make a decision to lose weight, my first thought is "Now let's go get one last big meal."

Soo true abt the last big meal.am soo surprise to see many people share my struggles..
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    A friend on here called it Last Supperitis. I know it well. One of the benefits of not being on a superstrict diet is that I feel less of a need to eat all my verboten foods the night before.

ETA: In fact there aren't really any "night before's" anymore. Just one long continuing string of doing the best I can at the moment.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    Options
    @Look_Its_Kriss - what meds did you get prescribed? Is it an SSRI?
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Been there. I swear by the book Brain Over Binge like it's my B.E.D. bible. Look it up, it's been a blessing! Hope it helps.

You're not alone and sometimes conventional therapy doesn't work or it doesn't work "alone" but in conjunction with other therapy. It gets better.

• MoodyFoodie23
    MoodyFoodie23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I completely understand! I'm the same way. I've just recently started researching ways to combat this addiction. If you need a friend for support please do add me! It'd be nice to be friends with someone who knows what I'm going through too!