What foods to cut out?

Options
I want to cut some foods out of my diet, does anyone know some of the best foods to cut out of your diet and the worst foods to cut out of your diet? Thanks

Replies

• Jodysmith999
    Jodysmith999 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've just heard stuff like bread is a good food to cut out to lose weight and things like that, just want to see what's myth and what works
  • Jodysmith999
    Options
    @bbell1985 yeah love easier said then done, when you've failed as many times as I have you have to consider all factors
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    @bbell1985 yeah love easier said then done, when you've failed as many times as I have you have to consider all factors

But have you tried logging calories?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Eat the foods you love. Just stay in a deficit.
  • Jodysmith999
    Options
    Yeah
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I want to cut some foods out of my diet, does anyone know some of the best foods to cut out of your diet and the worst foods to cut out of your diet? Thanks

The best foods to cut out and the worst foods to cut out are very individual in my experience. They depend on your goals, tastes, preferences, schedule, medical needs, etc. I could tell you not to eat oatmeal creme pies or radishes - because I don't eat those and I lost weight - but I have no idea if you even eat those foods, like or hate them, or if it would do you any good to cut them out.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

A lot of us have tried and failed a bunch of times. Just because we're here trying to help doesn't mean we've never been there. The struggle is real. The important thing is to keep trying and learn from the things that don't work for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Log your foods for a week. Look to see what you used a lot of calories on. Cut it out and don't replace it with anything (log to make sure).

That is certainly not necessary, of course, but it makes more sense than cutting out some random food that you may or may not even eat. Personally, I lose fine eating bread (and had a bunch last night), but I normally don't eat it since I don't like most bread and don't usually miss it when I eat it. Cutting it out wouldn't cause me to lose weight, since I don't care about it and would eat something else more than bread. Cutting out cheese might reduce my calories, but would make me sad, so I don't do that.

What I cut out was snacks since if I snack I eat more and I generally don't enjoy the calories as much as when they are part of a meal. But that's just me, others do well with lots of snacks (even if I can't understand it!).

Basically, foods don't have the ability to cause you to gain or lose weight beyond their effect on calories.

Now that said, just to make sure no one thinks I am implying otherwise by assuming that of course you have the good sense to do this: everyone should eat a healthy balanced diet for health/nutrition, and it often helps with satiety too.
  • Jodysmith999
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • melissawill2017
    melissawill2017 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It really is as simple as calories in & calories out. I know a lot of people here have success with limiting or omitting certain food group; carbs, sugar, fat, etc. but that is not me! The moment I tell myself that something is off limits then it just makes me want it more. Food is food & none of it is bad in moderation. I love carbs so I refuse to not eat them. I have a huge sweet tooth & I will continue to indulge. In treats from time to time. For me personally, not restricting myself is the only sustainable way that I can
    successfully lose weight.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Nobody said weight loss is easy. But completely eliminating certain foods from your diet will, in my opinion, make it more difficult. Especially if you're cutting out foods that you enjoy eating.

The other pitfall of elimination diets is: what happens when you reach your goal weight and start maintaining? Do you plan on living without those foods for the rest of your life?

If you learn how to moderate your intake now, living the rest of your life in maintenance (while still eating the foods you enjoy) will be much easier and will make regaining what you've lost much less likely.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Logging accurately for a week to see where your extra calories are is a great place to start - then make plans based on your own habits. I used to cut out booze and not much else to lose weight, in years gone by. Now I dont drink at all I need to make other modifications. :/
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Also, think about what foods you can bring IN. Don't eat a lot of vegetables? Eat more. Never eat fruit? Try a serving per day. It's just so different for everyone at least in regards to what foods work well to help stay in a deficit and for satiety. I NEVER eat fruit and only eat bread or pasta out at a restaurant...I would not tell someone else to cut it out though.
  • NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I cut out things I have trouble eating in moderation. So if there are foods like that for you, it may be easier to eliminate. For different people that varies a lot. Look at your own patterns and learn and adapt. Good luck!
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Cut out the measuring cup for solids and trade for a scale. It's a lot more accurate for logging.
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For me, soda was the only item i cut out. It was the one thing i just couldnt seem to have in moderation. If i was thirsty i would drink it without even noticing so i had a hard time limiting how much i could have.

Other items i just gotta buy smaller portions of and im fine. Like if i want a candy bar. Instead of buying a bag and telling myself id only eat 1 per day (which i know is a lie) i buy just the single candy bar. Once its gone its gone (i hate going to the store and wont go unless i have a good reason)
  • BuffMom84
    BuffMom84 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person, really. Some people can eat whatever they want in moderation and lose weight. This is how I lost weight the first time. I did not cut out anything, but measured my food and logged my calories faithfully and lost 20 pounds.

However, after I reached my goal weight I didn't really know how to maintain. I gradually stopped using this website and over three or so years I gained the weight back plus 10 more pounds. So this time I felt I needed to eliminate certain things from my diet. That way, once I get to my goal weight, I won't crave the junk food and eat it in excess again.

I cut out one thing at a time. I cut out all white bread, pasta and rice. I eat brown rice or pasta on occasion but not often. I usually just eat things over a bunch of spinach. After that, I gave up drinking all sodas and energy drinks and I drink sparkling water instead. Then I gave up processed sugar like chocolate and coffee creamer, and also deep fried foods. I cut down on alcohol (though I'll never give that up completely, I like a few drinks at the end of the week).

But if you feel you absolutely have to have something, eat it in moderation. Be honest with yourself and log it!