New products that caught your eyes recently?

Options

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    0l5b5aodmd5l.jpeg
    This came in the mail today from Amazon! It's IMO syrup - the same thing used to make quest bars before they switched to soluble corn fiber. Basically, I heat 2 tbsp of the syrup on the stove and mix 30 grams whey protein powder and knead it to form a dough. Then I just add in mix-ins and extras and form into bars before refrigerating them to set. Amazing! And it saves so much money, since. I don't have to pay $2.00 a bar anymore. :)

Weird stuff!!

http://easacademy.org/trainer-resources/article/isomalto-oligosaccharides

Isomalt (a cousin at least, if not actual) is amazing stuff--you can melt it to make sugar glass, spun sugar, and other confections, but it's always crystal clear and dries hardened. (Sugar tends to turn yellow/brown when heated over 300 degrees F., and it seems to stay sticky for me.) Being so malleable, it would totally make sense to use it to make protein bars. Thanks!
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    hgycta wrote: »
    0l5b5aodmd5l.jpeg
    This came in the mail today from Amazon! It's IMO syrup - the same thing used to make quest bars before they switched to soluble corn fiber. Basically, I heat 2 tbsp of the syrup on the stove and mix 30 grams whey protein powder and knead it to form a dough. Then I just add in mix-ins and extras and form into bars before refrigerating them to set. Amazing! And it saves so much money, since. I don't have to pay $2.00 a bar anymore. :)

So this syrup and protein powder... that's it!?! No flour or anything else at all? What kind of mix-ins? How many calories are the bars/how big are they? You're a genius. Can it be used for more than just protein bars?

Some of the recipes included 2 tsp of almond flour per bar, but I forgot about it when I made mine (and they turned out fine, just maybe not as "nutty"). Otherwise, yeah, you just use the protein powder, syrup, and mix-ins. I used 2 tbsp of syrup, 30 grams of Garden of Life Raw Meal vanilla, and 1 tbsp of Enjoy Life mini chips, and they came out to be about 250 calories per bar with 24 grams dietary fiber (a bit more than actual Quest Bars, since I used a veggie protein that has it's own fiber) and 20 grams protein. You could add cinnamon or ither spices or freeze dried fruits for other flavors, or use other flavors of protein powders if you want different flavors.

I'm definitely watching it on Amazon, VERY interested since recently I've been making my own protein bars with almond meal, coconut flour, coconut sugar and espresso! I noticed some reviews criticize it for having more calories than listed and causing weight gain (they also said Quest stopped using it due to a lawsuit over calorie labeling)? Is this true do you know? Please let us know if you notice any side effects such as this! I'm in maintenance so I rely on being as accurate as I can with even the littlest of things haha
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Finally found the most perfect premade soup out there. Actually tastes like the chicken & dumplings I had while on vacation in the south. All those disappointing soups suddenly don't make me hate store bought soup! Anyone try any other meals in this line?

i288q2g6z60z.jpg

That looks tasty! How are the calories on that?

270 calories for the entire pouch, but for how delicious it was that's not bad at all for me! If you've been to Olive Garden and had their Chicken & Gnocchi soup that's about what the dumplings reminded me of. Definitely very generous with the dumplings, chickens, and veggies! Not soupy and not too salty, just the right amount of everything. I'm so disappointed with their new well yes line of soups but this... this is something worth getting.

Man, that looks really good and I don't even like soup that much.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Vitacost users I need your input!

Have any of you tried their own brand whey protein (vanilla in particular)? They have a buy one get one 50% off sale and I have a $10 off coupon which makes them a comparable price to what I usually get from Target. Thoughts? TIA

http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-whey-protein-complex-powder-vanilla
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Got to try this flavor finally

IMG_7818.jpg?1475718400

The oatmeal chunks are a little bit... odd. But the taste is good. Now I just hope I don't regret this later.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options

IMG_7818.jpg?1475718400

The oatmeal chunks are a little bit... odd. But the taste is good. Now I just hope I don't regret this later.

The enlightened oatmeal blows this away. This Halo feels like wood chips. Lol
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

IMG_7818.jpg?1475718400

I bought this a couple of weeks ago, only because it was a top-rated flavor in the reviews I read. I kinda like it! I don't eat much ice cream, but it's nice to have when I want a couple of spoonfuls as a treat.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Finally found the most perfect premade soup out there. Actually tastes like the chicken & dumplings I had while on vacation in the south. All those disappointing soups suddenly don't make me hate store bought soup! Anyone try any other meals in this line?

i288q2g6z60z.jpg

I LOVE that soup at Olive Garden, it's really the only reason I even think about ever going. I'll have to try this for sure!
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

I've never seen an Enlightened product locally. Where do you buy them?
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I've only ever seen the Enlightened bars. :(
  • Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    Options

IMG_7818.jpg?1475718400

This is one of my favorite Halo Top flavors. I warm up my pint for about 45 seconds in the microwave, because I can't wait the 10 minutes for it to thaw, and I put Hershey's lite chocolate syrup on it. The peanut butter cup it also one of my favorite's but its hard to catch in the store since it seems to be everyone's favorite here. It would also be good with the chocolate. Halo Top is pretty much a nightly "thing" for me along with either protein cheesecake or protein fluff/sludge. :smiley:
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options

I've never seen an Enlightened product locally. Where do you buy them?

If you're in the NE USA, Shoprite has it. I haven't seen it anywhere else.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »

Have any of you tried their own brand whey protein (vanilla in particular)? They have a buy one get one 50% off sale and I have a $10 off coupon which makes them a comparable price to what I usually get from Target. Thoughts? TIA

I haven't tried it but looking at the ingredients it isn't something I'd like. I love blending protein shakes into a thick milkshake replacement, and every protein powder that does a good job of it has xanthan gum in it. This not having that ingredient is a major deal breaker for me personally but if you're more of a shaker bottle person I say try it, the macros seem fair enough!

i288q2g6z60z.jpg

I LOVE that soup at Olive Garden, it's really the only reason I even think about ever going. I'll have to try this for sure!

It's not exactly like that soup (I know how you feel, I'm obsessed). The dumplings just remind me so much of their gnocchi! Nothing will ever 100% replace that soup, but this is about as close as you can get, it just needs... something... if you try it let me know what it's missing because I'm sure you could add a couple spices and make it taste the same!
    Aerocrazd wrote: »

IMG_7818.jpg?1475718400

This is one of my favorite Halo Top flavors. I warm up my pint for about 45 seconds in the microwave, because I can't wait the 10 minutes for it to thaw, and I put Hershey's lite chocolate syrup on it. The peanut butter cup it also one of my favorite's but its hard to catch in the store since it seems to be everyone's favorite here. It would also be good with the chocolate. Halo Top is pretty much a nightly "thing" for me along with either protein cheesecake or protein fluff/sludge. :smiley:

I have Halo Top every night as well haha so that Shoprite sale this week is fantastic! I noticed on Facebook Shoprite is supposed to carry all their flavors now, but I haven't seen the newer ones yet has anyone else?
    I know the label says to let it thaw for 10 minutes, but honestly I let it thaw for 20-30 minutes and it's perfect! Perhaps I keep my freezer too cold since it's rock solid otherwise, who knows! The oatmeal isn't nearly as good as Enlightened's oatmeal cookie unfortunately, but the cookies & cream and salted caramel are like crack (cookie dough is good too, but they're head to head with Enlightened and I always forget whose cookie dough I enjoy more!)

Speaking of Enlightened, yesterday they revealed the 1st of their 7 new flavors is Birthday Cake!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

I haven't tried it but looking at the ingredients it isn't something I'd like. I love blending protein shakes into a thick milkshake replacement, and every protein powder that does a good job of it has xanthan gum in it. This not having that ingredient is a major deal breaker for me personally but if you're more of a shaker bottle person I say try it, the macros seem fair enough!

i288q2g6z60z.jpg

It's not exactly like that soup (I know how you feel, I'm obsessed). The dumplings just remind me so much of their gnocchi! Nothing will ever 100% replace that soup, but this is about as close as you can get, it just needs... something... if you try it let me know what it's missing because I'm sure you could add a couple spices and make it taste the same!

IMG_7818.jpg?1475718400

I have Halo Top every night as well haha so that Shoprite sale this week is fantastic! I noticed on Facebook Shoprite is supposed to carry all their flavors now, but I haven't seen the newer ones yet has anyone else?
    I know the label says to let it thaw for 10 minutes, but honestly I let it thaw for 20-30 minutes and it's perfect! Perhaps I keep my freezer too cold since it's rock solid otherwise, who knows! The oatmeal isn't nearly as good as Enlightened's oatmeal cookie unfortunately, but the cookies & cream and salted caramel are like crack (cookie dough is good too, but they're head to head with Enlightened and I always forget whose cookie dough I enjoy more!)

Speaking of Enlightened, yesterday they revealed the 1st of their 7 new flavors is Birthday Cake!

I'm still so sad that I can't find the Enlightened Ice Cream anywhere locally. Maybe by the time they release all the new flavors I can find them somewhere!!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I can oly find the vanilla bean and chocolate halo top and that is in a town 35 miles away(sigh)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    Reviews to come just got all these 5ydhryt4dnjh.jpg

did you get all that for free? if not, wow - daring to buy so much without knowing if they're good :X

tried the MYBAR ZERO in caramel peanut flavor - awesome macros... TERRIBLE taste. so bland and just no...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

i288q2g6z60z.jpg

IMG_7818.jpg?1475718400

My Shop Rite has all the new flavors, but they are divided - some with the other 'special' ice creams, the others at the end of the ice cream aisle.

They only have a few flavors of Enlightened sadly :(

I'm happy to say that I haven't experienced any consequence from eating the whole pint so far either!
  • jroth261
    jroth261 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    jroth261 wrote: »

7016wshbi7mj.jpg

Where did you buy that it looks delicious!!!

Found it at a small local independent market in Lehigh Valley, PA (Valley Farm Market). Haven't looked yet to see if anyone else has it. Wegman's & Whole Foods would be best bet. There is also a Teriyaki flavor I had tonight - equally good.
  • jroth261
    jroth261 Posts: 117 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

I am a waster of money on protein bars - you are a savior! Checked it out on Amazon and saw they also have a silicone mold (for those of us who wana be a lil OCD)

https://www.amazon.com/Freshware-CB-104RD-6-Cavity-Cornbread-Cheesecake/dp/B003VFUY0C/ref=pd_bxgy_325_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003VFUY0C&pd_rd_r=H28HDEX0Q8H7ZNW5KKD1&pd_rd_w=WZHnR&pd_rd_wg=GAJ5S&psc=1&refRID=H28HDEX0Q8H7ZNW5KKD1