Starving

Options
Help!-
I started my journey little over 2 weeks ago and today I'm just starving. I have drank two glasses of water, I had oatmeal for breakfast with my coffee and a apple for snack. Lunch isnt for another hour and my body is telling me to eat now :( What do you guys do?
Need some tips, I really want to stay under my calorie intake.
Thank you

Replies

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'd have a snack. Something preferably high in protein.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Just eat lunch early.

Add in plenty of vegetables for fibre to fill you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have protein and fat with all your meals (and cut snacking or have protein and fat with your snacks as well).

Don't go under your calorie goal, hit it.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and an apple would not get me thru the morning either. Add protein & fat. Carbs by themselves leave me hungry too.
    Help!-
    I started my journey little over 2 weeks ago and today I'm just starving. I have drank two glasses of water, I had oatmeal for breakfast with my coffee and a apple for snack. Lunch isnt for another hour and my body is telling me to eat now :( What do you guys do?
    Thank you

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry I eat. Some days I feel hungry the whole day and others not so much. I do try and pack plenty of healthy snacks. I have a huge breakfast which normally helps me throughout the day. Yesterday morning I had a 5 oz turkey burger without the bun and I didn't feel hungry until almost lunch time - so like others said maybe try more protein. I do notice that when I eat oatmeal I tend to feel hungry sooner (kinda like when I eat rice). Goodluck
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    love me some oatmeal...but it leaves me starving an hour later, especially if not made with milk (protein in milk helps). apples - i find fruit by itself doesn't tide me over. I might look into a higher protein breakfast, and yogurt or cheese to go with your apple. Experiment with what works for you. I found the conventional wisdom of oatmeal being a "stick to your bones" breakfast, and a fruit being an excellent snack didn't work for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Help!-
    Thank you

Oatmeal by itself isn't very filling for me. I like to make it with milk (for protein) and then add a few chopped nuts....or stir in a bit of nut butter.

Greek yogurt with FiberOne & chopped nut sprinkles gives me a high protein breakfast with some fiber & fat.

Eggs are great for protein & fat, but I'm so not a morning person. I bake egg patties ahead (9 eggs + 9 egg whites in a 9x9 pan) then store 9 servings in the freezer. That way I can make egg McMuffins....on a high fiber English muffin.
  • sketchdoll
    sketchdoll Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make sure I eat a higher protein oatmeal in the mornings, or else it won't keep me full. Currently I'm eating a Quaker instant kind with 7 grams. There may be better ones out there, or even homemade recipes too. In my morning coffee I also add a serving of gelatin collegen hydrosolate (the kind that dissolves in liquids). I take this for nutritional reasons, but it also has 13g of protein in it. Plus I like to add a tablespoon of full fat coconut milk into my coffee as a creamer for satiety. This has been doing the job for my breakfast and keeps me full for several hours. If I start to feel like I need a mid-morning snack, I try to reach for a small handful of nuts or something with protein. Sometimes fruit by itself just makes me hungrier. You could try adding some sort of nut butter with your apple next time?
  • Nemoturtle
    Nemoturtle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been up and down in weight for my entire life. Every time in the past, it has been difficult, but not insurmountable to lose weight without starving all the time. However, THIS time I started, I've been taking a Slique supplement from Young Living. I have to say that I am AMAZED at the difference.
    I am still hungry (my body wants those calories!!), but I do not have those physically painful feelings of hunger anymore and it is considerably more manageable.

As a disclaimer - I am not normally one that believes in a lot of these types of things working. I have tried them all and had minimal success. Also, my eating has stayed the same, adding this to my routine is the only thing I have changed, so I have to attribute it to that. Of course you can contact me for more info, but I'm not on here with the intent of selling, I'm genuinely surprised at how much this has helped and figured I would mention it.

Other than that, the typical things people have mentioned - drinking plenty of water and eating smaller meals if you have to. Also proper ratios, protein, fat, etc.... it all helps, but if you are (like me) finding that none of that is really cutting it, adding the Slique is working wonders for me.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Help!-

Just to clarify - you are eating under the calorie allowance given by MFP to lose weight? If so, how many calories are you eating per day? How many calories did MFP give you?

• Nemoturtle
    Nemoturtle Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the suggestions above to try adding more protein to your breakfast and/or snack.

Or perhaps skip breakfast altogether. I rarely eat breakfast because when I do I feel hungry all day. I don't know why, but I know I don't want to feel that way.

I used to go through the same thing, but after carefully managing protein and making it a habit, I've noticed that that has gone away. I used to skip breakfast for the same reasons - I always felt MORE hungry - but now I notice it helps. I wonder if it is a matter of having to "re-condition" your body (and find the right mix, of course, for me I need at least 20g of protein in my breakfast).
  • VGruneich
    VGruneich Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Help!-

Just to clarify - you are eating under the calorie allowance given by MFP to lose weight? If so, how many calories are you eating per day? How many calories did MFP give you?

Im allowed 1800 a day and I either eat like 50 less or eight on the dot.

• tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    Help!-

Maybe then you need to allocate you calories differently, have more calories for breakfast and/or your morning snack. Oatmeal and apple up to lunchtime isn't a lot of calories.

Perhaps have some yoghurt or cottage cheese with an apple or banana snack or have a boiled egg along with the oatmeal for breakfast.
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Help!-

You can do it! Like the other posters said some days are harder than others. Eat early if you have to. Hunger sometimes fades as well, especially if you are busy. In the end... being hungry for an hour isn't the worst thing you can be. Remember why you started. Good luck!
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Also, I eat about the same amount of calories, sometimes less, and if I don't get at least 40-45% of my calories from protein I struggle mightily. Everybody is different, but without protein I rarely feel full.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Sometimes apples make you hungry because of the carbs. Good luck!

Absolute truth! Nothing makes me hungrier than eating an apple.
  • Funnylittlenut
    Funnylittlenut Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're eating plenty of protein and fats for each meal. Other than that, you might have to get used to being hungry sometimes. It's good for you, it means you'll enjoy your meal more. Your digestive system benefits from the rest time between meals. After a while you do start to get used to only eating once your hunger reaches a higher level.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Help!-
    Thank you

You need some protein in the AM! I found my solution is a few hard boiled eggs keep me full till my snack time.
    Yogurt is also a good one.